Proof of Cookie Cutter songwriting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Proof of Cookie Cutter songwriting

people have the right to be sheep, people have the right to like whatever they hear on the radio.
    "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      There was an interview with those guys i think in guitar world and they said they went back to the hit songs on silver side up and used them as building blocks for the new disc. they admited to doing this stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

what's wrong with that? it's not like they said "just got through listening to 3 doors down" and used that as building blocks. they wrote it, people bought it. so you stay with that formula. if i remember correctly every band that has a recording deal does that. [img]/images/graemlins/sleep.gif[/img]
      Guitars... Rhoads RX10D
      Amp... Pioneer
      Effects... Boss ME-20

Comment

hmmmm, does most of the punk, death metal, power metal or whatever songs really differ a lot from each other? I don't think so. Most of the music is repeating itself over and over again.
        "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

if they can get away with it then more power to 'em.

Comment

Like I said earlier... they're getting paid. That's all that counts in the grand scheme of things.
            Enough said.
            -Rick

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              you know, people have the option to change the channel or radio station to listen something else.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't mean to doggy pile, but I gotta agree with this one.

[ QUOTE ]

hmmmm, does most of the punk, death metal, power metal or whatever songs really differ a lot from each other? I don't think so. Most of the music is repeating itself over and over again.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you mean that these three genres are mostly alike, I'll fight you on that one. Yeah, they've got some similarities, they're all music which is based at least somewhat on repitition is it not? How would it be to listen to a song without a chorus verse bridge structure, or at least something like it? It's not pretty! (Anorexia Nervosa-some good songs, but mostly shit)

I've liked "How You Remind Me" since it came out. Nice sound, good beat, easy listen. That's about the only song by them I like. It's probably their most heavily decorated cookie if you ask me. I think all the songs were molded after this one.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                They pulled it off and made millions, seems to me they deserve respect for that fact.

None of you would pass up on the same opportunity. Integrity means jack shit as soon as our trusted buddy, the dollar, comes into play.

[/ QUOTE ]

In my case that is 100% NOT true. Not to brag, but I get offers all the time to join bands for the sole purpose of making money. As a guitar tech here in Hollywood I have seen firsthand how these bands are put together. I have been to all the meetings with managers, major label execs, top dollar, hit-maker producers, etc... I've seen the whole process, and as a guitar player I want no part of it. I value my integrity above all else. There are many things more important to me than money. Playing in a band that I love and I have 100% creative control over(along with the other band members of course) means more to me than any dollar amount. I have my integrity as a guitar player and songwriter, and because of that I have earned a great deal of respect. And as far as the cookie cutter bands assembled by record labels, yeah they get flashy stuff and a music video and sit on top of the world for about six months, then tastes shift and they don't sell three million albums and they get booted from the label and end up sleeping on their parents couch owing a ton of money they have no way of earning. And as a guitar tech I make my money no matter how well the band's albums are selling, and I know that tomorrow I will still have a job.

Nickelback have done nothing to earn my respect. They are a corporate product, they could care less about doing anything unique or exciting with their music. So like I said, fuck 'em.

Comment

Chad Kroeger isn't exactly sleeping on his parent's couch. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                  You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

metallica rocks, I was trying to say that in those genre's are tons of bands who write a song and mold the other tunes after that. it's done everywhere. starting from some RnB artist to Dream Theater. The thing is that it's good to bash Nickelback because it's a mainstream band but no one is actually gonna bash bands who cookie cutter like Nickelback but make some other style of music (wich happens to be enjoyable for Nickelback bashers).

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      Chad Kroeger isn't exactly sleeping on his parent's couch. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
                      I could care less if he sleeps on a king-size bed made of monkey leather. His band still sucks.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        metallica rocks, I was trying to say that in those genre's are tons of bands who write a song and mold the other tunes after that. it's done everywhere. starting from some RnB artist to Dream Theater. The thing is that it's good to bash Nickelback because it's a mainstream band but no one is actually gonna bash bands who cookie cutter like Nickelback but make some other style of music (wich happens to be enjoyable for Nickelback bashers).

[/ QUOTE ]

Bingo!

Take Death Metal for instance, I LOVE IT, but most brutal death metal is virtually the same, heavy riffs in unisono with the blast beats and some pinch harmonics here and there. Of course there ARE some variations, but the cookie cutter prinicple applies very well there.

It's like that in all genres.
                        You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

I'm glad that at least Ward understands how things really are, too bad he looks so god damn old [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

It's totally true that there are cookie cutter bands in every genre. But when you make music for the SOLE PURPOSE of making money, that's when you loose your integrity IMO. Nobody ever started a death metal band because they thought they were gonna make a ton of money like Cannibal Corpse.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              metallica rocks, I was trying to say that in those genre's are tons of bands who write a song and mold the other tunes after that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gotcha. I thought you meant that punk and metal were the same. WTF? I was hoping to have misunderstood you! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I see what you mean now though, and sadly enough you're right. Too many similar song structures. Without it though, could a song be catchy?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                                [ QUOTE ]
                                They pulled it off and made millions, seems to me they deserve respect for that fact.

None of you would pass up on the same opportunity. Integrity means jack shit as soon as our trusted buddy, the dollar, comes into play.

[/ QUOTE ]

In my case that is 100% NOT true. Not to brag, but I get offers all the time to join bands for the sole purpose of making money. As a guitar tech here in Hollywood I have seen firsthand how these bands are put together. I have been to all the meetings with managers, major label execs, top dollar, hit-maker producers, etc... I've seen the whole process, and as a guitar player I want no part of it. I value my integrity above all else. There are many things more important to me than money. Playing in a band that I love and I have 100% creative control over(along with the other band members of course) means more to me than any dollar amount. I have my integrity as a guitar player and songwriter, and because of that I have earned a great deal of respect. And as far as the cookie cutter bands assembled by record labels, yeah they get flashy stuff and a music video and sit on top of the world for about six months, then tastes shift and they don't sell three million albums and they get booted from the label and end up sleeping on their parents couch owing a ton of money they have no way of earning. And as a guitar tech I make my money no matter how well the band's albums are selling, and I know that tomorrow I will still have a job.

Nickelback have done nothing to earn my respect. They are a corporate product, they could care less about doing anything unique or exciting with their music. So like I said, fuck 'em.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] i like the not to brag,"but" line... sorry i don't think they're that bad. [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]
                                Guitars... Rhoads RX10D
                                Amp... Pioneer
                                Effects... Boss ME-20

Comment

Working...
                                X