Proof of Cookie Cutter songwriting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Proof of Cookie Cutter songwriting

here's the deal. nickelback sucks and blows. this is a simple fact. as musicians and songwriters they've accomplished nothing that will stand the test of time. at most a couple of their songs will make it on to a 2000's retrospective collection in 30 years.

nothing about the state of popular music has truly changed in 50+ years - just technology has improved so they can cut a sellable track in one take rather than doing 20 like they used to. thanks protools. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
    I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Money is money....

You guys that say "they are getting paid" "they have enjoyed lots of success" need to keep something in mind.

Music and money are two totally different things. If I say they suck, and you say "but they make millions" well, I dont find that relevant. So they have become a commercial sound and make millions, does that still mean they deserve respect for fitting into the current trend, and putting out generic music that sounds liek their last "hit" so they can sell more records??

Do I sit at home and give up practice and enjoyment of my guitar because I get paid? No....

I personally loathe nickelback. Reason why, their lead singer is a cocky SOB. Before they hit it big, I remember then playing a small bar in Sask and being cocky "tough guys" who thought they were bigger then what they were. From there once they hit it big, a galfriend of mine became big fans and she got to meet up with the band and hang out with them. She said the lead singer Chad is/was a total pig and is somewhere along the lines of Scott Stapp in terms of how he thinks of his work.

At the end of the day, in MY OPINION, I think they have wuss lyrics, play a generic dumbed down rock, and their videos are ghey. Anybody I know who likes them also seems to not fit my ideal of a "cool person"

/End rant

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

who says they have to be a great songwriters?
        they are great buisnesmen PERIOD.
        "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you say that like it's a good thing.
          I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you say that like it's a good thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, why can't it be? I detest their music and wouldn't buy one of their singles or albums in a million years. I hate most of 'Eminem's' music too, wouldn't buy any of it.

However my respect for them, for their music is strictly seperated from my respect for them as Businessmen.

Make a product that is liked by the masses, push and market it as good as possible and try making the most money you while doing it. That IS business and they did it handsomely. My hats off to them.

I quit thinking in 'mainstream' and 'niche' categories a long time ago. If something sounds good to me, I'll dance/swing/headbang/tap to it, regardless of the artist, background, whatever.

-----------

Now of course there are 'blurry' categories: Pink Floyd, The Beatles, AC/DC, etc... They make kick-ass music, that is actually liked by the masses and they can cash in on that. hats off to them in both categories (musically and business).
            You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Ace, I couldn't agree with you more if you put a gun to my head. [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

Not in Canada. They have the Cancon law that ensures that these assclowns are played about twice an hour on any Canadian rock station. People are sheep & buy what they hear on the radio. Proven fact. The Cancon rules haven't helped new Canadian artists break out, either. Stations play it safe & meet their quotas by playing more of the same Nickelback, Avril, Celine, Alanis, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Stop ! Stop! Stop! Stop disturbing my mind! [img]/images/graemlins/nono.gif[/img]

I.. I .. Must open the... the radio.
                *Nickelback *
                [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                X