Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Most reliable IDE Drives?

[ QUOTE ]
    I have always used WD, and have never had a failure. I have seen many Maxtors fail, both at work and home (yes, I do this crap for a living [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img])

I would say the IBM IDE drives are the "best" though. Fast, and very reliable.

[/ QUOTE ]

IBM hasn't made IDE drives in a few years. They were the best, but they sold the division off to Hitachi Data Systems, and the are now just OK.

Comment

Let's see, I've had the following brands fail over the years (in this order):
      Maxtor,
      Western Digital,
      Seagate,
      IBM,
      and Fujitsu.

Did I leave anybody out? The worst was the IBM, with all the others there was enough warning and/or good backups that it wasn't anything other than a minor pain. Now I'm mostly using fluid bearing Seagates because they are so quiet, but I still have two or three WDs in service.

Keith
      The JCF-er Formerly Known as axtogrind.

myspace.com/boogieblockmusic

Comment

Ibm drives are pretty bad, I guess you haven't heard their name that they were given. The DeskStar was named "Deathstar" due to the fact that a lot of them failed.

Comment

I've never had problems with any Maxtor I've used.
          Whataya Mean I Don't Support The System? I Go To Court When I Have To!

Comment

Got to newegg.com.
            Side menu, select hardware, Harddrives.
            Browse and read the reviews there of the intended size and brand of the HD your considering.
            Newegg is great for this sort of thing.

Myself, Western Digital has served me wll over the years and newegg is real good at returning defective product.
            Yes, I have several certifications and work in the field.
            Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

I never had an IBM IDE drive fail on me, though I had only run across them in the workplace. Of course, I haven't really dealt with an IDE based server in the production environment in a few years.

Just tryin' to help. Good luck!

Comment

Many thanks for the responses!

Re: usage - These will both be housed in well-ventilated metal external enclosures with internal fans and used as data storage for my personal PC. I tend to leave everything on 24/7 so they'll log a lot of hours but will mostly sit idle.

Re: backup - I recently moved almost all of my data to a 400 GB Hitachi Deskstar but it overheated *badly* during the formatting process and is making those nerve-wracking death rattles though it's still chugging along so it will go on the shelf as backup #1 as soon as the new drives are in place. The critical data is already backed up to DVD-R and I'll perform a fresh backup of everything as soon as the new drives are in place. Significant changes are infrequent enough that manual incremental backups to DVD-R won't be too big an inconvenience.

Re: RAID - RAID-5 would be ideal, it's where I'd really like to go, but it's cost-prohibitive for personal use.

I asked your opinions because I've had a couple of dead Western Digital drives and one dead Maxtor in the last 3-4 years. Those failures were probably due to overheating in a tower case that I no longer use so I was curious as to everyone's experiences.

Many thanks once again for the replies!
                Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

I'd recommend either Western Digital or Seagate and avoid Hitachi, IBM (ever heard of the IBM DeathStars?) and Maxtor.

Comment

Heat will kill any drive... it doesn't matter who makes it.
                    It thins out the lubricant in the spindles and arm which causes the heads to crash.
                    The Hitachi crap is just rehashed IBM crap. Pure junk IMO.
                    -Rick

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]Actually, for the most part, I think it's the other way around. The infamous IBM DeskStars (DeathStars) were OEM Hitachis.

Comment

So you're saying that 4-5 years was a pretty decent life expectancy @ 55-60 C? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I actually think I lost the controllers on two of 'em with a mechanical failure on the third.

[ QUOTE ]
                        [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]Actually, for the most part, I think it's the other way around. The infamous IBM DeskStars (DeathStars) were OEM Hitachis.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Deathstars are now Hitachi branded.
                        Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

The only drives we use at my work are Seagate Barracudas. The new SATA ones are awesome. Western Digital is a good runner up.

Maxtor are cheap but slow and noisey and do not fair well under high temperature situations. Usually if we get a computer in with a dead hard drive it is either an IBM or a Maxtor.

Comment

IBM drives were very reliable up until the DeathStar fiasco. They sold the unit off to Hitachi shortly after. I've had pretty good luck with IBM drives in general. Maxtor drives are the worst.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              I've never had problems with any Maxtor I've used.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since I have over 300 Maxtor drives in my lab. I doubt any of you have even close to that amount. Maxtors work fine. So do western digital but the the larger WD externals can give you ploblem. I don't know who is worse IT guys or lawyers. [img]/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                                Since I have over 300 Maxtor drives in my lab. I doubt any of you have even close to that amount. Maxtors work fine. So do western digital but the the larger WD externals can give you ploblem. I don't know who is worse IT guys or lawyers. [img]/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Pardon me for sharing my experience and opinion, next time I'll check with you [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                                X