Most reliable IDE Drives?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Most reliable IDE Drives?

It doesn't matter what you get. Its either going to last or it wont. I got two Maxtor 200 gigs right now. One is flawless...the other is going out on me I believe. I have had good Seagates and bad Seagates. Its kind of like asking who makes the better car, Ford, Chrysler or GM. Everyone is going to tell you their opinion and experience.-Lou
    " I do not pay women for sex. I pay for them to leave after the sex ". -Wise words of Charlie Sheen

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      [ QUOTE ]
      I've never had problems with any Maxtor I've used.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since I have over 300 Maxtor drives in my lab. I doubt any of you have even close to that amount. Maxtors work fine. So do western digital but the the larger WD externals can give you ploblem. I don't know who is worse IT guys or lawyers. [img]/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wanna bet ? Just kidding. I haven't had 300 Maxtors, but I have well over that amount in total. Seagate made good SCSI drives, but that's about it. I have had soooo many Seagates bite the dust and if they are under warranty, the drive you get back will most likely die. Maxtors are good, but if you want reliabilty, there is one and only one reason why Western Digital can charge more for thier drives.

Matt

Comment

Thanks guys, I appreciate the opinions. I wound up buying a couple of WDs that worked out to just over $0.39/GB. Seemed like a good deal and most of you seem to have had good luck with them. Thanks again!
        Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          I don't know who is worse IT guys or lawyers. [img]/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

IT guys, I'm glad I'm no longer working in that field, 12+ years was enough.

I'll put money down that if you solicit failure rate information from the major manufacturers they'll be virtually the same [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
          1+2 = McGuirk, 2+4 = She's hot, 6-4 = Happy McGuirk

Comment

Here's some real data: http://www.warrantyweek.com/archive/ww20060110.html

this page provides warranty claim rates for several companies, including seagate and maxtor. Guess which one fairs worse? And not it's not just a little bit...

I'm glad your set of 300 maxtors are working well for you (for now). Let us know if you still like them a year from now. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Hope you're making regular backups!

Comment

Working...
            X