How's your hearing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How's your hearing?

Over the years of playing, did anyone have any hearing damage? I just noticed a very low hum in my ears, when it's quiet, about six weeks ago. I've haven't wore ear protection since I've been playing, about 11 years ago.

I finally went to an audiologist, had a test done. Had great hearing, but still a low buzz. I ordered these ear plugs, called 'Rock Star' earplugs. Insurance paid for my testing, but had to put out $120 for the plugs. They're specifically designed for me. They squirted this bubble gum feeling crap into my ears to get a molding of the ear canal, then sent them off to be made. It has 6 different filters for it. Should be hear next week.

Don't want to lose the hearing. [img]/images/graemlins/nono.gif[/img]

Yous guys taking any precautions? [img]/images/graemlins/brow.gif[/img]
    Occupation: Department Director for the Department of Redundancy Department

Re: How\'s your hearing?

I've been listening to portable audio players really loud for the past 11 years really loud and I usually miss a lot or need to ask someone to repeat something. Plus the fact that I listen to an iPod all day in school doesn't help me pick up stuff either. I started stuffing cotton balls in my ears when I play.
    If you're flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit. Unless you are a table.

Comment

Mines pretty good considering what damage I could have possibly done to it. I pay much more attention to it now than I used to. I've had an Audiogram done and I'm really not lacking in any area except high treble(16khz+) but thats typical as you age.

Comment

I blew my ears to hell years ago.
        I've worn earplugs for the last 10+ years, but the damage has already been done. I wear them now to prevent any more damage.
        I have conductive tinnitus (nerve damage).
        I use a diaphramed ear plug that allows me to hear speech, but they block high sound pressure waves.
        When I go to concerts, I will sit on one side or the other of the mains so I'm not directly in front of them.
        It sucks, but there's no cure for nerve damaged hearing loss, so I deal with it.
        -Rick

Comment

I also have some done some damage to my hearing.To many years with headphones (loud music in general) and working on hot rodded cars.I have a constant ringing in my ears that I a learned to deal with.If I go to a concert (or race track) I have to use ear plugs.Other wise it becomes painfull to listen.I used them daily at work and everyone thinks I am nuts but I could careless.I want to save what I have left.
          Mike
          --------------------------------------------------------------------
          SLS TG // SLATQH TSB // 2 CS Soloists both 24.75 scale // 5 Archtop PROs //

Comment

My ears are messed up from too many years of really loud music. This is one of those things the "old people" warn you about when your a kid, but you know better... [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Occasionally I get sharp pains and I have a hard time hearing in places with lots of background noise. I wear plugs when I go to shows which makes it almost pointless because it sounds like mud. I have been thinking about getting the custom made plugs. Please post a review when you get them.

Comment

WHAT???
              http://www.myspace.com/chriswestfallguitar

Comment

Chris, I knew that's what your post was going to say before I even scrolled down far enough to see it. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  Should be hear next week.

[/ QUOTE ]
                  Is that a brilliant pun or just a spelling mistake? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

HUh...
                    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

My hearing is quite good actually, but when there is alot of people talking at the same time I hear practically nothing.

I use earprotection everytime I practice with my band.

Comment

When I was rehearsing/gigging regularly, and for the following year or so later, my hearing was pretty shot. I'd often wake up in the middle of the night with the old "Morse Code" sensation - like I was receiving radio signals in my head.

Then again maybe I WAS receiving radio signals - back in those days, I didn't wear my tinfoil helmet all the time... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

My hearing is pretty good. I'm kinda surprised that after so many years of loud amplifiers that it's not damaged.
                          Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            WHAT???

[/ QUOTE ]

HE ASKED ABOUT YOUR EARRING!
                            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Although I haven't had my hearing tested in years, I am sure that some damage was done. Especially on my left side.(faced my amp stack at rehearsals for the past 5 years)

The reason I believe that damage was done is because my ears no longer ring after a concert or show, while all of my friends say theirs do. [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
                              Scott
                              Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Working...
                              X