How's your hearing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How\'s your hearing?

It's funny that I spent 20 years in the Navy, most of those onboard a ship firing the big guns, and they're fuggin loud, so when it came to retiring, I had to take a 'getting out' physical. My hearing was actually better than when I first came in.

Enter the guitar an amps. After playing with a band, I stood with my left ear next to the drummer and I noticed my eardrum was starting to pulse, or it felt like that. Time to get help.

I sit next to jazz drummer here at work whos been doing the circuit for 30+ years and he has a constant ringing in his ears all the time. He's the one who recommended to me these earplugs.

Anyway, for those interested.....here's a description.

http://www.eartronix.com/rockstars.htm
    Occupation: Department Director for the Department of Redundancy Department

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      Is that a brilliant pun or just a spelling mistake?

[/ QUOTE ]

Subliminal............ [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        I've been listening to portable audio players really loud for the past 11 years really loud and I usually miss a lot or need to ask someone to repeat something. Plus the fact that I listen to an iPod all day in school doesn't help me pick up stuff either.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a good article in Rolling Stone mag. Don't remember which edition, but a recent one.

Comment

I have a hard time hearing if there are several people talking at once or a lot of background noise. I started to notice it about a year ago, and I went out and bought some ear plugs. I wear them for every practice, show and any concert I go to now.

Comment

My hearing is fine.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              I have a hard time hearing if there are several people talking at once or a lot of background noise. I started to notice it about a year ago, and I went out and bought some ear plugs. I wear them for every practice, show and any concert I go to now

[/ QUOTE ]

The test they put me thru was pretty extensive. On eof the areas was they had head phones on me and would I would have to repeat back to the doctor what the person in the headphones was saying to me. At the same time, people were talking in the backround, kinda like being at a party. There were 6 different scenarios, each one, the people in the backround got louder. I was able to go up to level 5 and I guessed at least one word in the 6th level, so overall I was pretty good. But the hiss was still there, though very slight.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                My hearing is fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good......keep it that way. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] Mine isn't as bad as I thought, though I'm reading people here in this thread do have some form of hearing loss, from minimal to major.

I would take their advice. (if those would like to input).

Comment

We get annual tests at work because of the sound levels we deal with. They pull up a hearing mobile and it's got headphones that play beeps in various pitches and levels, and we have to hit a "Jeopardy" button when we hear the set of tones. It gets a little difficult at way lower volumes because the headphones being on your head amplify low-frequency tones such as your own heartbeat or someone else moving around, coughing, or otherwise making noise. Not to mention I keep hearing ghost notes - can't tell if it's from other people's headphones or the unused pair next to me, but it's annoying as crap.

I always get the same report - just need a good cleaning. But then, I haven't had much opportunity to play loud and live so my ears get plenty of time to recover.
                  I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    have to hit a "Jeopardy" button when we hear the set of tones.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats funny. Thats the only one I've ever done until this latest one. They tested inner ear also. Explained to me tinnitus and what it is, blah, blah, blah, but overall, was really interesting. Things I didn't know. [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

By the way, was your test administered by Alex? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Due to my former life playing live and working as both a live and recording sound engineer I have some damage as well. Most ear plugs really screw up the sound so most people don't wear them. But the special plugs you can get through an audiologist reduce the sound levels pretty evenly and I have a couple sets I still wear when I go see a concert. These really work better then I ever thought and things still sound good through them. I used to even mix live with them in. They are commonly refferred to as musicians earplugs and the better ones are molded to your ear. Cymbols and horn sections did the most damage to me when I was still playing out.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        [ QUOTE ]
                        WHAT???

[/ QUOTE ]

HE ASKED ABOUT YOUR EARRING!

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="aqua">I DON'T LIKE HERRING!! </font>
                        Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

I'm half deaf in my right ear, and have serious tinnitus in it. My left ear is still a ok (thank god).

Loud music really isn't good for your ears, but I'll be damned fi I put earplgs in when I go to a friggin' show, that's just not happenin'. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                          You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            Due to my former life playing live and working as both a live and recording sound engineer I have some damage as well. Most ear plugs really screw up the sound so most people don't wear them. But the special plugs you can get through an audiologist reduce the sound levels pretty evenly and I have a couple sets I still wear when I go see a concert. These really work better then I ever thought and things still sound good through them. I used to even mix live with them in. They are commonly refferred to as musicians earplugs and the better ones are molded to your ear. Cymbols and horn sections did the most damage to me when I was still playing out

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, when I tried regular earplugs, at first, they did the same. More annoying, cause I really couldn't hear what was going on. The drummer I work with, swears by them and told me the same,....that he wasn't expecting them to work as good as they do.

Thats why I'm giving it a try. The doctor squirted this bubblegumming crap into my ear to get the molding.

Comment

Listen to my playing... it´s quite obvious that I´m deaf [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

But seriously, been using Westone earplugs for about 10 years now [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                                Yous guys taking any precautions?

[/ QUOTE ]

I always use ear condoms. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
                                "You have a pud..your wife has a face. Next time she bitches..I'd play cock bongos on her cheeks..all four of them!" - Bill Z.
                                I just just had a sudden urge to sugga dick..! If I wore that guitar and didn't suck male genitalia..somethin' is very wrong! - Bill Z.

Comment

Working...
                                X