Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coachella 2006 lineup announced

Saturday, April 29th
    Depeche Mode, Franz Ferdinand, Sigur Ros, Common, Damian Marley, Atmosphere, Carl Cox, My Morning Jacket, Ladytron , Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, Tosca, Cat Power, Animal Collective, HARD-fi, Derrick Carter, Devendra Banhart, She Wants Revenge, The Walkmen, The Juan Maclean, Audio Bullys, Imogen Heap, Lady Sovereign, Deerhoof, The Duke Spirit, Editors, stellastarr*, Lyrics Born, Matt Costa, The New Amsterdams, The Zutons, Platinum Piped Pipers, White Rose Movement, Chris Liberator, Colette, Joey Beltram, Hybrid, Wolfmother, The Like, Living Things, Nine Black Alps, The Section Quartet, Infadels, Youth Group, Shy FX & T Power, Infusion.

Sunday, April 30th
    Tool, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Bloc Party, Paul Oakenfold, Scissor Sisters, Matisyahu, James Blunt, TV on the Radio, Sleater-Kinney , Mogwai, Coheed and Cambria, Gnarls Barkley, Coldcut, Phoenix, Digable Planets, Amadou & Mariam, Little Louie Vega, Mylo (DJ Set), Seu Jorge, Wolf Parade, The Go! Team, Kaskade, Metric, Art Brut, Dungen, The Dears, Jamie Lidell, The Magic Numbers, Los Amigos Invisibles, Jazzanova, Michael Mayer, Mates of State, Gilles Peterson, Gabriel & Dresden, The Subways, Minus the Bear, Be Your Own Pet, Giant Drag, Kristina Sky, The Octopus Project.

I'm likely up for the second day, as I've never seen Tool, and Coheed & Cambria might be interesting.

this is a great festival, for any of you who have not attended it yet. granted, most of it is alternative/punk/electronica stuff, but I'm into those genres in addition to metal and hard rock. plus the whole idea of this festival is to showcase new bands, so it's cool to check new shit out that you've never heard before. opens up one's mind to new possibilities! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
    the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Re: Coachella 2006 lineup announced

Wow I know so few of those bands.
    I keep the bible in a pool of blood
    So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] yeah I figured that would be the reaction here, but what the hell.

again, I also don't know many of them. but I go to Coachella to check out new stuff and widen my horizons a bit. plus for all the T&A and beer and smoke and random fun.

Comment

I listen to a lot of music, and that lineup looks way to mopey. The only acts I'm interested in are Lyrics Born, Mogway, Coldcut, and maybe Digable.

Comment

I've only heard of Tool and Carl Cox (if that's the DJ guy).

Comment

Isn't it like hot as hell out there? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Meh, not into crowds. Have fun!
            "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              Isn't it like hot as hell out there? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Meh, not into crowds. Have fun!

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't lie Ron! I know you'll be right up front for Digable Planets!

Comment

I have heard of a lot of those guys but I don't know what they sound like. Here's a funny article about last year's show that'll give you an idea of what to expect: STINKSTOCK [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  I have heard of a lot of those guys but I don't know what they sound like. Here's a funny article about last year's show that'll give you an idea of what to expect: STINKSTOCK [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, at least I recognize a few more of the acts on the last year festival. If that's an indication of the type of acts on the festival this year... Definitely not my thing.

Comment

I worked Coachella for the BRMC in 2004. It sucked, the bands sucked(the Cure headlined, they were AWFUL!!), the sound sucked, the heat sucked, my rig broke down. Tool are pretty fun to watch live, but if it were me I would go to a smaller show that they were headlining where they could do their whole stage show and get a decent sound and everything. Festivals are a nightmare...

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      I worked Coachella for the BRMC in 2004. It sucked, the bands sucked(the Cure headlined, they were AWFUL!!), the sound sucked, the heat sucked, my rig broke down. Tool are pretty fun to watch live, but if it were me I would go to a smaller show that they were headlining where they could do their whole stage show and get a decent sound and everything. Festivals are a nightmare...

[/ QUOTE ]
                      [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] I'm seeing BRMC for the second time in March when they play the Fonda. I love them.

Ace, I kinda agree with you about the festival. and I hate the Cure too. but I kinda have enjoyed the other things you mentioned, the heat (girls don't have much on, and I like the heat anyway), and the sound isn't like a club venue, but it's not that bad. especially in some of those tents, I caught Secret Machines last year in a tent and they sounded killer. but it is a festival so yeah the sound is not that great, but if you like the festival atmosphere (getting hammered amongst friendly strangers), it's no biggie.

if there are two bands I'm even semi-interested in, I'll go for at least one day. I've been out there twice so far, 03 and last year, and I have a group of friends that all go, so it's fun.

Coheed and Cambria was the subject of a thread here a while back, they look interesting.

for me, it's kind of the discovery aspect of it, I always hear a new band that knocks me out.

Coldplay headlined last year on the day I went, and (yeah I know here come the gay jokes [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]) much to my surprise they rocked the fucking place and I was impressed with their show and their energy. so again it's always something new, and I know now that I spent too many years locked into one kind of music (metal), missing all the other cool shit going on in other genres. over the past few years I've learned to be open to all of it, the experience is much greater that way.

Comment

there are some cool bands in that line-up. Both days too, which is cool. Plus a whole HEAP of groups I've never heard of. Sounds like fun, hope you have a great time! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
                        Hail yesterday

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          yeah I figured that would be the reaction here, but what the hell.

again, I also don't know many of them. but I go to Coachella to check out new stuff and widen my horizons a bit. plus for all the T&A and beer and smoke and random fun.

[/ QUOTE ]

What is strange though is I am far from a metalhead I listen to a woide variety of stuff and I was putting out indie records back in HS. Still most of the bands I have never ehard of and usually Coachella has a few bigger names.
                          I keep the bible in a pool of blood
                          So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

Is this a tour or a one town gig?
                            Never heard of it, but would go soley to see Digable Planets.

Comment

Maybe it's my age showing here, but this Coheed and Cambria... Is this a band or is it the tour's law firm? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
                              Occupy JCF

Comment

Working...
                              X