I've always thought this was cool....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've always thought this was cool....

I work in Chicago's Loop (the downtown section) and in August it always gets interesting.

Here's pictures from the Chicago Air and Water Show in 2001. The reason I find this very cool is that in one of these pictures the Thunderbirds (they alternate years with the Blue Angels) buzz the Loop the week before the show. The picture of the planes right in front of the Sears Tower is probably at a point where it's closest to my office. (I'm just 5 blocks away) It's really difficult to get anything done when you're sitting there and you hear the jets streak across the sky...

Linky...
    Occupy JCF

Re: I\'ve always thought this was cool....

That was pretty cool!

Comment

I don't have pictures like this, but some of the bigger planes buzz the apartment the days of the show. I believe that the smaller planes take off out of Midway Airport (on the South Side, so I'm guessing their flight plan takes them over the Loop) and the bigger planes take off from O'Hare Airport. (on the Northwest Side, their flight plan takes them over my neighborhood - Wrigleyville) I'm always woken up that weekend by a B-52 or something of that ilk screaming by overhead.

Minor inconvenience, but cool stuff to witness. After a while, you get used to the city noises. (we're about a half block away from 'L' tracks)
      Occupy JCF

Comment

That is pretty cool!
        http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

Imagine being on the beach and encountering these:

<center></center>

This guy got some great shots of the show...

Linky... again...
          Occupy JCF

Comment

I saw that show in the late 90's from a rooftop on Lakeshore Drive. it was a good one.
            the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

HEY!! I was in Chicago for that airshow this last year, I think. I was on the Hammerfall tour and Stefan the guitar player and I went to the lakeside to watch the airshow for awhile. It was pretty cool!! That was in mid-August...

Comment

Yeah and I never called you like I promised I would ace. Ah I was in a bad place right then.
                I keep the bible in a pool of blood
                So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

I used to work in downtown SF. When the Angels were doing their practice runs, they'd fly low over the Bay and close to the buildings. The sound of those planes reverbing through the buildings was just so cool I will never forget it.. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] The only thing that beat that sound was when we were at the beach and a P-51 flew less than 100 yards out and about 100 ft high and flew parallel to the beach. That was incredible. [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]
                  I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    HEY!! I was in Chicago for that airshow this last year, I think. I was on the Hammerfall tour and Stefan the guitar player and I went to the lakeside to watch the airshow for awhile. It was pretty cool!! That was in mid-August...

[/ QUOTE ]

Man, you were here and I didn't know it? That kind of crap has gotta stop man!

[img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
                    Occupy JCF

Comment

I have to contend with this craziness every year for a whole week (Fleet Week). It's cool for about 10 minutes, then it gets to be QUITE annoying.

Comment

Hell, you are sounding as old as I am. You big grouch. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                        I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Definitely one of the few things I miss about Chicago,but my first year here,I was on the roof repairing an exhaust fan at work.The BLue Angels were playing the week before the show and one flew by and his wing tip was actually below the roofline of the buikding.. could have knocked him out of the cockpit with a rock..The landing path for our airport passes right over our plant,so we schedule as much outside work as possible in the maintenance department that week.

By the way,Tekky...If those shots are out your office window,you have one seriously quick trigger finger...
                          Bon Jovi is like a frozen Coca Cola.. It's cool, it's crunchy, but when all is said and done it is still pop....

Comment

Very cool shots, Tekky.

Man, they never let us come screaming downtown at those altitudes or speeds. We're usually limited to 250 knots below 10,000 ft.
                            Takeoffs are optional but landings are mandatory.

Comment

Wow that is some cool stuff...I would not get any work done either It is like the air show with no traffic.Tekky you should wear shorts and one of those visors to work that day with like a lawn chair [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X