What the hell is with tab sites?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What the hell is with tab sites?

I'm lazy too! That's why I prefer my ear. I started playing in 1972 and there were really no tabs available for anything I liked, so I HAD to learn to train my ear. By the time tab
    became widespread, my ear was trained and learning tab proficiently was a PITA. Same with sheet music; I can read for voice pretty well, but can't sight read guitar. I can decipher both very slowly, but for me my ear works better and faster for learning.
    Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

i normaly listen to songs and use my ears-once i know what key it is in its very easyIf i havnt got the song on hand i download the tab for an easy life-i think our sight reading is the same as i am very slow at that-mind you its only realy bassists/pianists who use that as we normaly get chord charts.I never felt the need to improve my reading as it would never be used

Comment

Some things I can figure out with little effort by ear. Some things I just can't, and I need tab.

I also just like to get tabbed licks of stuff I have never heard, that way I am just checking out the notes and my interpretation is often strictly my own...since I don't have a reference.

Mike
        Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

For someone who isn't familiar with a particular playing style and/or technique I think it would be far too difficult to learn a piece such as Yngwie's "Far Beyond the Sun" by ear. I can only speak for myself but there would be no way I could have done it by ear back when it came out. After i learned it by tab and more importantly the theory and techniques used everything else became a lot easier by ear.

Tabs are notoriously inaccurate but I still use them to speed up the process. Its just easier than listening over and over and continuously rewinding. They often get you in the right direction that let you use your ear to finish it up. I have never played anything exactly the way it was tabbed and honestly think a lot of it would be impossible to play it like I've seen it tabbed out [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] you also need to know the fretboard so you can learn the position that suites your style and technique, there numerous ways of playing the same sequence of notes.
          shawnlutz.com

Comment

I always start with the tab to a song and get an idea of how it goes and then do the rest by ear. I should really do it all by ear, but it's just easier for me to start with the tab (even if it's incorrect) and work the rest out by ear. There is no way to get the "feeling" of a complicated piece or phrase from a tab, but it's a good place to start.
            "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Comment

+1 Jim

Using both your ear and tab is what I do as well. Tab points you the way, but to really nail a song 95% of tabs won't help you do that, it happens on your own.

Rich if you can figure out Beyond this Life (Dream Theater) or Godless Endeavor (nevermore) by ear then I bow before your skills [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img], because I just can't see how anyone can figure that crazy shit out without some sort of map (which is sorta what a tab is).

Comment

Tab was a great tool when I started playing. It brought me from the point of knowing absolutely nothing to getting a little groundwork. Also, I don't think I was born with that great a set of ears, but they have developed fairly well with time. Without tab, I don't think that I would of given up playing because I had such a passion for the instrument....but learning would have been MUCH harder for me without tab......and Doug Marks.

The problem I find with tab now is that I'm often trying to learn some "out there" song for which there isn't any tab. Or if I do find the tab, by the time figure out the timing, phrasing, etc. I probably could have just done it faster all by ear.

Comment

yeah, i agree that tabs often provide a certain push in the right direction

Comment

Working...
                  X