Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• National Anthem Rant

[img]/images/graemlins/rant.gif[/img]

Okay, I watched the Super Bowl yesterday and, as usual, they pissed me off with the choice of singer for the national anthem. I don't even remember who it was, but WHY IN HELL MUST WE ENDURE THIS AD-LIBBING CRAP? Why can't anyone sing it properly without using it as a demonstration of how far they can twist a note? It's one thing to put your own "style" in it to a certain degree, but DON'T CHANGE THE FREAKING MELODY!!!! That's one thing that pisses me off to to end; you can put ANY words to a particular song and the song still works if the melody is right, but certain morons seem to think that the lyrics make a song. They don't!

In case anyone cares, that style of ad-lib singing (usually associated with black singers, no racism intended), is called "melismatic" singing.

[img]/images/graemlins/rant.gif[/img]
    Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Re: National Anthem Rant

Aaron Neville has always pissed me off, I never liked his voice. Look I love NO as much as the next guy, but jesus the dude was so far out of tune it was like watching the audition rounds of American Idol. That was a real disgrace. Aretha saved it somewhat but even her voice isn't what it was.

Comment

I am tired of people butchering our national anthem as well. That was just awful last night. Why must we endure this nonsense? Can't they find anyone to sing it properly? What a bunch of [img]/images/graemlins/bs.gif[/img] .
      Scott
      Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

they shoulda had horatio sanz do it. just sayin. his aaron neville rules. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
        Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
        Sully Guitars on Facebook
        Sully Guitars on Google+
        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Not only that...he shook like a bowl full 'o jelly as he was trying to pump out those high notes! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
          Bad choice of performer to sing that! I'm just happier Dr. John didn't sing it!
          Ok...so it was a tip of the hat to victims of Katrina...but still!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Maybe Zakk should have played it and we could have saved some thread space.
            Tarbaby Fraser.

Comment

it was dismal.
              I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Aaron Neville has a conjoined twin growing out of his forehead.
                Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  Aaron Neville has a conjoined twin growing out of his forehead.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

...and a cross branded into his face, because some baptist minister thought he may have been the anti-Christ [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

it looked like Neville couldnt hear himself....Areefa kicked ass tho voice wise but I agree, not on the national anthem
                    shawnlutz.com

Comment

Yeah it was pretty much awful. The national anthem a tough song vocally. Instead of trying to get famous faces, they should worry about the vocal performance.

Comment

It was like listening to long fingernails sctratching a blackboard and why did Jerome Bettis sing the second half of the anthem dressed up like a woman. [img]/images/graemlins/brow.gif[/img]
                        Mr. Patience.... ask for a free consultation.

Comment

I didn't hear it, but I can relate. Last year or the year before or something, a singer didn't only butcher the melody, but she also fucked up the words to the German anthem as well. She sung "Brüh im Glanze dieses Glückes" (to cook, for the lack of a better term.. the process of making a broth) instead of "blüh etc" (to bloom in this beam of luck, something like that) in front of the full stadium and on national television. Talk about embarassment.

Comment

The national anthem should be sung the way it was written, it is not a Gospel Hymn or Jazz piece to be subjected to a whole bunch of "artistic modifications", (instumental versions such as satch and jimmys don't count cuz they kick ass). And for gods sake don't drag it out for 5 minutes, sing the song with respect, and get on with the show.
                            I say the boy ain't right!

Comment

Where was Roseanne? She could have done a better job! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                              X