RIP Sonny

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP Sonny

in december, i was looking on a greyhound adoption site and found Sonny; a (now) eight year old dark brindle male greyhound. he was on the "injured reserve" page, which is where the group puts their special needs hounds; he was taking meds for a thyroid condition. the group had a special paypal address to help with the cost of his care (his meds were about $10 a month). they do this for all of their IR hounds, and i figured that while i don't have much money, if $10 can cover his monthly meds, i certainly can do that, so i donated. his page has a bunch of great pictures that make you melt. either his foster dad is a great photographer, or there's something about Sonny that leaps off the screen and moves you. see?

of course, there's more pictures on his page and there's some really great shots.

usually about once or twice a week, i would check back on him to see if there were any updates on how he's doing. there hadn't been anything new since 11/30, and when i went to check on him the weekend of the 27th, i found this update:

[ QUOTE ]
    It is with deep sadness that we report Sonny has been diagnosed with Osteosarcoma in his left shoulder. He will be cherished and loved in his forever foster home and kept as comfortable as possible for as long as possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

after i read that, i was heartbroken. There was a meet and greet for that greyhound group that weekend, and I went in hopes of getting in touch with someone who could get me in touch with the person who was fostering him. i wanted to see if i could meet him before he passed on. as luck would have it, Sonny's foster dad was there and I spoke with him. he had some video of Sonny on his phone that he showed me. he had given me the name of the person i should contact in order to see if i could meet him, and after a while i went home.

i left an email and a voice mail for the coordinator last week, and i didn't hear back. i wasn't too surprised because i know he's a sick little guy.

...i got a message tonight though; sonny died this evening. while i never met him in person, i feel a loss. that may be very strange, i don't know, but i've worked with greyhound adoption groups ever since i adopted mine a few years ago, and they're truly wonderful dogs that make wonderful companions.

i hope he's running free again.

RIP Sonny.
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Re: RIP Sonny

I'm sure that he is.

Very well said, Sully. I'm really glad that you shared that.

Keith
    The JCF-er Formerly Known as axtogrind.

myspace.com/boogieblockmusic

Comment

Sorry to hear that Sully.

I do not think it is strange at all that you feel a loss. It is curious that we get so attached to animals, but there is truly something about them that reaches deep inside us and touches us on a different level.

We have a little Dachshund (Gibson SG) who is 14, and nearing the end of his time with us. When the time comes to put him to sleep, I will be a complete wreck, along with the rest of my family. It hurts me to think of that day.

Be strong, and know that you helped him in his final months.

I look forward to hearing more about him when I am in town later this month.

- E.
      Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Comment

Sully:

This was my favorite picture from his site. Just thought I'd share it with every one:

- E.
        Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Comment

I understand where your emotion is coming from.
          My father-in-law had adopted two "40 mile an hour couch potatoes", Chacho and Blue Bell many years ago as part of the Arizona adopt a Greyhound program. They were both retired race dogs. Chacho was very old and lived a very comfortable final 2 years with our extended family and Blue Bell just passed away last year.
          Greyhounds are some of the most gentle dogs I've ever met.
          After they were both gone, he couldn't adopt anymore knowing he would have to say goodbye to another family member.
          Sorry to hear about Sonny. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
          -Rick

Comment

Sorry to hear that Sully, dogs have a way of touching our lives that goes beyond words.
            I still keep practicing though.... Mostly because I hate my neighbors.-MakeAJazzNoiseHere

Comment

Man, that sucks. The wife and I were at the locally owned pet supplier (like PetsMart) and they had several greyhounds and what looked like whippets milling around each other. Made me think of Charlie. Of course, my wife saw me lookin' at em and said "three cats and a dog are PLENTY of kids!"

Pete

Comment

Dogs are simply amazing. They can bring joy and laughter into our lives and leave a void when they are gone.

I hate to hear about Sonny... It's not at all strange to feel a loss. Just means you're a good caring person.
                Whataya Mean I Don't Support The System? I Go To Court When I Have To!

Comment

Not strange at all man, not strange at all...

Awesome of you to help with his care while he was here.

Greyhounds are cool dogs. It's interesting that quite a lot of people on my pitbull board ALSO have greyhounds with their Pitbulls. Must be something to that.

Comment

Your a good guy Sully. Great story. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

As was stated - Not strange at all. I remember every dog, cat, parakeet, hamster, and even two "stray" doves that wandered into our lives over the years (the two doves came back for a visit - they were WALKING up the sidewalk, then walked in the house when we opened the door).
                      I miss every last one of them too.
                      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Sully, thanks for sharing. As others have stated, dogs are amazing animals. It is always tough to lose them. I am sorry to hear this. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
                        Scott
                        Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

I'm sorry to hear that Sully. And as everyone said, it's not strange at all. I wish you could have met him, he sure seemed swell.

Comment

Awww man....you're killing me bro. I wish you could have met him before he passed away.
                            You are truly a special dude.... [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]
                            Look Up...Get Up...And Never EVER Give Up...

Comment

Sorry to hear this Sully, I followed his story through your blog (always a good and entertaining read). He was indeed a very photogenic dog.

Dogs have a way of connecting with people that is hard to understand if you don't have a dog.

Comment

Working...
                              X