RIP Sonny

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: RIP Sonny

Thanks for the touching story. It's truly amazing how special animals can be. And I really like the pic AlexL posted of Sonny with the horse.
    Takeoffs are optional but landings are mandatory.

Comment

RIP Sonny. Very touching story Jon, the world needs more folks like you. . [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
      My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

RIP Sonny. He actually lived a reasonably long life for a greyhound, especially one that was in racing where they are so poorly treated. Those are great pictures!

Greyhounds are really great dogs. My wife and I would adopt them if we had the space. As it is, our little 30lb. whippet/beagle/shepherd mix is about all of the dog we can handle in our apartment.

Comment

he wasn't as old as most greys get. the average lifespan of a greyhound is about 10-12. even the retired racers. most racers are graded off of the track before they're 3 years old, and the successful ones have to be retired at age 5.

i'm with ya on the treatment of the dogs when they're racing, but thankfully things are better now than they used to be. that's not to say that tracks don't have kill trucks show up on a regular basis, but it's better than it was, i guess.

i hear ya on the space limitations, but know that greyhounds are amazing apartment dogs on many levels. some of the most common misconceptions are that they need a lot of space and have to have a lot of excercise time. these guys sleep. a lot. they also don't usually bark, shed much, or smell like "dog." keep it in mind if you're ever considering adding to your family. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

sully
          Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
          Sully Guitars on Facebook
          Sully Guitars on Google+
          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Very sad to hear this. It is the strangest thing that a person can say one sentence and you would never care to speak to them again. Dogs cant really understand a word we say yet they will follow us into anything.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              ...that's not to say that tracks don't have kill trucks show up on a regular basis, but it's better than it was, i guess.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoa! I'm not very familiar with this breed and I know nothing of the tracks. I was always under the impression though Greyhounds were well taken care of. Now I learn something new, "Kill Truck".

Why do they need this? I hope it's not a cruelty issue or I may just have to get involved. Nothing gets me going like cruelty to animals, especially dogs.
              Whataya Mean I Don't Support The System? I Go To Court When I Have To!

Comment

i'll pm you about it; i don't want to take this thread further down that road.
                Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                Sully Guitars on Facebook
                Sully Guitars on Google+
                Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

nothing's cooler than watching a greyhound at the beach. all dogs go to heaven. he's going to be running on a beach up there.
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Comment

wow Sully, I have a tear in my eye. I dont think its strange at all that you feel a loss. I truly wish you could have met that dog before he passed on.
                    "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Dogs (and all pets for that matter) rule!

&

Sully, you aint too bad yourself!

Thanks for sharing and for caring about dogs like Sonny.

~RIP Sonny~
                      Charvel: Model1, 2 & 5, Surfcaster 12
                      Jackson: DK2, JRS-2, Kelly

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        i hear ya on the space limitations, but know that greyhounds are amazing apartment dogs on many levels. some of the most common misconceptions are that they need a lot of space and have to have a lot of excercise time. these guys sleep. a lot. they also don't usually bark, shed much, or smell like "dog." keep it in mind if you're ever considering adding to your family. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, I know they're just big couch potatos. Problem is, there wouldn't be any room left for my wife and I if we got a greyhound! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I suspect we'll get into adopting them sooner or later because we love their personalities.

Other problem is that our current dog has serious dominance issues--it's pretty much a one-dog household as long as he's around. He's only about 1.5' tall, but he actually tried (unsuccessfully) to mount a greyhound at the dog park a few months ago. The greyhound just looked back at him like "what the f*ck are you doing?" Funniest thing I've ever seen.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          amazing apartment dogs on many levels. some of the most common misconceptions are that they need a lot of space and have to have a lot of excercise time. these guys sleep. a lot. they also don't usually bark, shed much, or smell like "dog." keep it in mind if you're ever considering adding to your family. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

sully

[/ QUOTE ]

Awww, Sonny sure looked like had personality. What a cutie [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Those are some great advantages; I'll look into this. My mother had a whippet during WWII.
                          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

God Bless, I know how it feels losing a (pet) family member....... [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
                            "When a naked man is chasing a woman through an ally with a butcher's knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross"............ Dirty Harry

Comment

Working...
                            X