why is it so hard...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• why is it so hard...

...to find thrash/death metallers in the UK? guitarists are 10 a penny , but drummers and bassists are so damn hard to come by [img]/images/graemlins/rant.gif[/img] this really pees me off when i'm trying to set up a band...

Re: why is it so hard...

Wish I could help, but I've never tried to start a band in the UK. My ex-bass player from DUDEFUCKINHELLYEAH! is doing a UK tour next month with his band, Horse the Band. We're doing a doom side project together that's going to be really awesome. Unfortunately none of this has anything to do with you finding a bass player and a drummer. My advice to you would be to go to as many shows as you can and make friends with everyone you meet. Once you become a part of the scene finding musicians to work with becomes much easier.

Comment

hmmm good advice!!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        ...to find thrash/death metallers in the UK? guitarists are 10 a penny , but drummers and bassists are so damn hard to come by [img]/images/graemlins/rant.gif[/img] this really pees me off when i'm trying to set up a band...

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude...I don't think this problem exists only in the UK...I think it's worldwide actually.
        It's definitely a prominent problem here across the pond mate! [img]/images/graemlins/bs.gif[/img]

Comment

this is why i record everything myself - guitar, keyboard, vocals. the good thing about recent guitar fx processors is that you can program them to sound like bass guitars, and most home keyboards will have drum sounds on them. as i can't sing professionally, i'll use pitch shifting effects. the fact that i use a multitrack means i don't actually need session players or otherwise.
          Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Yeah, but unless your an octopus it's really hard to put on a convincing live show...

Comment

Live shmive - everyone wants an all-black gear setup anyway for Metal these days - even black strings and frets and no inlays or logos (or black inlays and logos on black guitars), so basically you're heard and not seen - may as well do a CD at home and take it to a club [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

But I'd say the problem with finding drummers and bassists is the over-pimping of guitardom - there's not enough emphasis put on learning drums or bass. There's not as many bass and drum mags, you never hear of a Bass-Off or Drum-Off, it's always a Wank-Off for guitarists.

Add to that the fact that when you want to learn guitar, you get ONE guitar and a headphone amp. When you want to learn drums, you NEED at least 5 pieces, and they're noisy. Fewer people want to be dedicated bassists because the spotlight is always on the singer or guitarist. Then there's the singer or guitarist who tries to tell the bassist and drummer what and how to play [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
              X