No announcement yet.

Birth of a skyscraper... Interesting..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Birth of a skyscraper... Interesting..

It's near it. When I took the pictures, technically, I was above part of it.

I took these pictures from Wacker Drive at Michigan Avenue. The shots they filmed in Chicago for Batman was primarily Lower Wacker Drive. Some of the chase scenes in The Blues Brothers were also filmed there. Wacker runs along the River on the south bank of the main branch of the river. It is a double decker street and is one of the major east/west throughfares of the city. The lower portion has access for shipping/delivering/garbage for the skyscrapers lining Wacker.

It is notorious for being the temporary home for Chicago's homeless in the winter months. A lot of the exhaust vents for the aforementioned skyscrapers provides heat.

It was actually torn down all the way to foundation and re-built within the last 5 years.
    Occupy JCF

Comment

Damn, that thing is right ON the water!! Cool pics tekky!! Thanks.!!!
      "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

I think when it's all done there might be a little walking room between the river and the building itself. Daley (Da Mare / the Mayor for those who don't speak Chicagoan) has plans for a riverfront walking path. The side of Wacker that I was on actually is being prepared for a plaza and small shops along the riverfront.
        Occupy JCF

Comment

About two weeks later...

<center></center>
          Occupy JCF

Comment

This is cool. I got to see Our 2 new staidums every day as they were being built and it's such a trip to see Dirt turn into the 2 best stadiums in the Country
            I've fallen, Fallen through. If I'm Not With you, All I wanna Do Is Feel blue

Comment

Wow,Tekky.Those guys are moving pretty quick.The second deck already?

We have a crew installing pipe to convert our plant from steam to air power....In a week they managed to set 80 feet of pipe,and it is a straight run.
              Bon Jovi is like a frozen Coca Cola.. It's cool, it's crunchy, but when all is said and done it is still pop....

Comment

Yeah. These guys work pretty quickly. The Trump isn't due to be completed until 2009, however I think that the detail work such as electrical, plumbing, and walls will definitely take the longest.

I'll try to take pictures of the old "Skate on State" site. (aka "Block 37") Hopefully they've made more progress on that besides the big lump of dirt that it currently is.
                Occupy JCF

Comment

Cool pictures Tekky, thanks for taking them. It's amazing watching something of that size get built - I can't say I've ever seen it happen before with my own eyes.

Comment

I was lucky enough at the time I moved into my office to see the UBS building going up. It's only about 50 stories, but it was a cool site to see that happening out my window. It probably helped spark my amateur interest in architecture.
                    Occupy JCF

Comment

The question is: which will be finished first, the Trump Building or the MOAIP? Heh [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
                      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Feb. 13th 2006
                        <center></center>

About two weeks later...

<center></center>

Another two weeks later...

<center></center>
                        Occupy JCF

Comment

I didn't take pictures of this every month like I thought I would, but today, they are putting the spire on top of the building. In the Chicago Tribune today, there is a video, "92 stories in 2 minutes" which did the same thing with a better vantage point...

Occupy JCF

Comment

that looks like a primo spot for a St. Patricks Day party
                            shawnlutz.com

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Lutz View Post
                              that looks like a primo spot for a St. Patricks Day party
                              They dye the river on the other side of the bridge to the right (East) of the building.
                              Occupy JCF

Comment

Originally posted by Tekky View Post
                                They dye the river on the other side of the bridge to the right (East) of the building.
                                Yep...thats why I mentioned it

Did you guys go to the Winter Classic at Wrigley? That would have been so cool ot see in person.
                                shawnlutz.com

Comment

Working...
                                X