Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

City To Stop Youth from having Metal Shows.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• City To Stop Youth from having Metal Shows.

There are a lot of local bands (made up of mostly high school kids) that like to put on shows here in town. I know a lot of these kids (mine is one) and they are all about making music and playing it for people. They don't do drugs or drink for the most part, though I can't claim to know what all of them do at any given time. But they are really into making music. And it's not all just metal either. Metal, rock, Emo, screamo...who cares..they are doing something they like, are having fun, and staying out of trouble. Well, it looks like that doesn't sit well with some people. Here is a recent portion of a Parks meeting(more on this in a minute).
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    CONSIDER AND/OR TAKE ACTION ON POLICY FOR RENTAL OF CITY PAVILIONS IN
    REGARDS TO NOISE LEVELS
    Woody Eastman stated that there were a couple of complaints about the kids that were renting
    the park and having concerts. He stated that the kids are told to turn the music down. He further
    stated that there is no policy against loud music. Jesse Miller stated that the hours on the
    contracts needed to be amended. Woody Eastman stated that the park was open was until 12:00
    a.m. on weekends and 10:00 p.m. during the week. Jesse Miller stated that this was not a new
    problem. Ron Pisklak stated that he hated to set a policy for something so minor. Jesse Miller
    stated he wanted to just put this on the back burner.

Well, seems harmless enough. But if they put on a show, here is what they are up against.

Sec. 86-67. Sound amplification.
    It shall be unlawful for any person, group or entity, while in a public park or on a public street, to make unreasonable noise or to amplify noise, music or speech in a way that interferes with the comfort and repose of persons residing in surrounding neighborhoods or that annoys, injures or endangers the comfort, repose, health or safety of persons residing in surrounding neighborhoods. Therefore no sound amplification system shall be permitted in parks or on streets that is above eighty (80) decibels (except during July 4th fireworks displays) as measured at the location of the sound amplification system must use the city sound amplification system and equipment that exists at a park pavilion if it is available and adequate.
    (Ord. No. 93-1252, § 1(13B-1), 8-2-93)

With this, they can kill just about any show the kids can try and put on.

So...Jesse Miller (parks dept.) is my bud Mikes ex-father-in-law. His son (now a drummer in a band in Austin)used to do the same thing as a kid. This is why I think he wanted to "back burner" the topic. So I'm trying to go to him to get an angle on the city to find a way for these kids to keep playing. The sad part is, that the same people who are complaining would not be doing so if these kids were trying to be the next big country music star. What they don't realise is that this music (along with other forms/tastes of creative outlet) is the very reason that they don't have as much of the drug/gang activity that plagues the surrounding cities. I've seen a few hundred kids at these shows. If we can keep at least this many kids busy with music they love instead of idle spare time to get in trouble, isn't this a good thing?? I'm doing all I can from several angles..including putting up $$ for a show.
    As my ramble comes to a close, I just want to ask for any ideas and input that you great JCF people may have on this. Maybe some of you have been in the same place. Remember, our youth are the future.... What they make of it is what we help them to make of themselves. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
    The Buzzard does not fear
    The man in riot gear
    Harvest a skull of stone
    The Buzzard grows his own...

Re: City To Stop Youth from having Metal Shows.

I obviously don't know the whole story, but what is the importance of that park? Why not organize the whole thing with a promoter and find a suitable venue where the kids can rock out without "the man" coming down on them?

[ QUOTE ]
    ...to make unreasonable noise

[/ QUOTE ]

I have actually heard people complain about the noise coming from the earbuds of an ipod of another person! So "unreasonable" will definitely depend on who wants to be a dick.

Here's another angle to consider and a situation that happened here at a park when bands used to put on outside shows. Everything was fine, metal, rock, blues etc. would play every weekend. Usually 3 or 4 bands. It never got out of control, no craziness, drunken fights, no reports of drugs or anything like that. Just music and fun... Then it happened...

Yup, rap! The usual crowds moved out and the shit rolled in. Loud, obnoxious, vulgar rap! The park got trashed, there was fights, stabbings and finally someone got shot. There was drugs and even people having sex in their cars and on the playground equipment kids play on. Then there's the crime that went from literally zero to stolen cars, vandlized cars, property and burglarized homes. There was even a rape at that park on a night nothing was happening.

All of the bands that used to play there was completely run out and the people who lived in that community, who actually owned the park was too afraid to go there. So it started costing the city a lot of money and they had to make changes.

Of course there was a whole "racist" outcry, when that park finally shutout ALL live music and eventually all music.

Was really sad because there a whole fair type thing there every weekend. Destroyed forever...

Like I said, I don't know exactly what the deal is there with the kids playing, but perhaps it's this same type of situation people are afraid of, but are too scared to speak their minds about it.
    Whataya Mean I Don't Support The System? I Go To Court When I Have To!

Comment

Re: City To Stop Youth from having Metal Shows.

[ QUOTE ]

Like I said, I don't know exactly what the deal is there with the kids playing, but perhaps it's this same type of situation people are afraid of, but are too scared to speak their minds about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

That just makes me sad. This whole deal does!
      Simply put, parents NEED to get involved and open their minds to this sort of thing. I see no reason why a suitable venue (this park) cannot be achieved for these kids. Something like this really is going to take an effort from a lot of people to see that this sort of thing stays positive for everyone so that the bands aren't run out.
      But it's possible! Totally.
      Out here where I live there is a skate park that was built right by the YMCA. I see kids out there all the time, it's all fenced in and there's a parking lot. Sometimes the parents are sitting in their cars watching their kids, and there are kids of all ages there. They bring their music too, but I've never heard it ridiculously loud. It's a great place for them and it's working. I see the older kids helping out the younger ones and showing them things, it's awesome! Some talented youth out here, definitely.
      So, I think these things can work with some planning and an open mind and some rules. Like this skate park closes at midnight, I believe.

Man... that's a lot to think about. Flame, I admire your tenacity to see this stays for the kids. There really needs to be more parents like you. Good luck!

Comment

Working...
      X