• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uli Jon Roth: One night in NYC May 16

One day only so far in the US on the Spring 2006 tour = BB King's in NYC

http://www.ulijonroth.com/sky/curren...ts_tours_1.htm

http://www.ticketmaster.com/artist/1013265

From Eddietrunk.com:

"(w/ former Scorpions bassist Francis Buchholz) @ BB Kings NYC. Uli will be performing music from his entire career including classic Scorpions."

[img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Re: Uli Jon Roth: One night in NYC May 16

Not really too familiar with the stuff, but from what I hear on this board it should be worth checking out

Comment

No biggie Ifraan...he just the best guitarist on the planet...IMO! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Unfortunatley I missed him when he was in town last year..I opted to stay home with my son that night..

My wife works EARLY every Sunday..so Saturday nights are our night together..we hang out and stay up late doin' stuff..

I felt bad when I bailed on Vinny to meet John to watch George Lynch a few months ago ..who totally blew monkey shit that night..

that's right Mr. Scary wasn't that friggin' scary ..not to me, not anymore. A night of tired tunes with a hack band thrown together..sounded like a local B-grade Dokken tribute band. [img]/images/graemlins/eyes.gif[/img]

My wife I hung out with Reb/his wife and Dokken when they came thru here and Reb sounded MUCH better than that!

Uli got BETTER with time..the only thing that was "scary" with George Lynch was his fake sun tan and his tone....what happened ..Lynch was a tone "god"..WTF happened... [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Go see Uli if you have the chance..believe me..you'll be floored!

Warning..just hope he don't sing! He sings so monotone and sounds "tone deaf" when he sings..but the dude plays with unbelievable feel, accuracy and pitch..I dunno.

He's amazing!
      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

all Uli's solos are VERY interesting, well composed and have a point. Every solo contains different elements and phrases.

But his singing is just horrible.
        "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

How can somebody play that PERFECT and hear himself sing that poorly..and go.."oh, that sounds good"...I don't get it.. [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

he thinks it's badass to sing like that [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
            "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

here is the yousendit link to Uli's song Cast Away Your Chains wich is the perfect example of guitar playing at genius level and the most horrifying singing

http://s38.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2...02BGNXCN55CFFC

Comment

I usually just skip to the solo parts [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Yeah that was 1978 when that came out...his tone is much better now..even tho it was cool then.

Uli..the first time I heard him sing I laughed my ass off...he sounds like Kermit the frog with down syndrome..

Comment

The best guitarist ever. Seeing Uli is a religious experience that will change the way you approach playing a guitar forever.

Comment

Yes, what John G said.

The only geetar player in the world capable of giving my wife the goosebumps..now THAT'S good! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

A friend of mine saw him open for Schenker recently and said Uli was uninteresting, drawn out, long songs, un-Scorpion-like and boring. This is from a guy who's a music fanatic who knows a ton of info on everyone. I respect his opinion. Just his 2 cents, let us know how it was when it's done.

Comment

Um that is when he played to a tape basically..on that schenker gig....the playing was spot on to some classical numbers..but he wasn't playing with a live band..it was to a pre-recorded tape..which is well weird.

he was just up there playing with himself [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]..that can't be too amusing from a entertainment standpoint..

He totally smokes Schenker IMO..as good as Mike is...hell there is NO comparison..not even close IMO

get the legends of Rock where he plays with UFO and Michael..after you hear Mike take a UFO solo and then goes to Uli..it just shoots into the stratosphere..big time!

Uli Metamorphasis Vivaldi's four seasons..Nobody can touch that ...not Vai..not DiMeola..Not Yngwie..Not Masi..it is insane! [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img]

as far as your freind being a fanatic of great players..Um your talking with one right now..I know all the players in the game man...believe me. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            Um that is when he played to a tape basically..on that schenker gig....the playing was spot on to some classical numbers..but he wasn't playing with a live band..it was to a pre-recorded tape..which is well weird.

he was just up there playing with himself [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]..that can't be too amusing from a entertainment standpoint..

He totally smokes Schenker IMO..as good as Mike is...hell there is NO comparison..not even close IMO

get the legends of Rock where he plays with UFO and Michael..after you hear Mike take a UFO solo and then goes to Uli..it just shoots into the stratosphere..big time!

Uli Metamorphasis Vivaldi's four seasons..Nobody can touch that ...not Vai..not DiMeola..Not Yngwie..Not Masi..it is insane! [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img]

as far as your freind being a fanatic of great players..Um your talking with one right now..I know all the players in the game man...believe me. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
                            +1 zillion
                            I can understand a little where your friend is coming from though. Uli's voice... not the greatest, Uli's solo material... pretty weird, Uli's stage show... he really doesn't have one. Uli's stage presence... unusual, even the way he holds a guitar is unusual. Very high up!
                            With all that said, I can understand why somebody would think it was wierd and boring possibly.
                            That leaves Uli's playing.
                            Unbelievable. Actually, its beyond what most typical players can even grasp. If you took Hendrix, Vivaldi and Pagannini and molded them into a guitar player it would be Uli. His mastery of the guitar is unchallenged in my book.
                            I watch a live Uli video from around 1982 when I want to remind myself how far I still need to go on guitar.
                            Regarding comparing Uli to other guitarists.. its impossible. Nobody on the planet plays or sounds like Uli Jon Roth and IMHO nobody ever will.

Comment

Shit...I gotta put on some Uli now..

Listen to the master!!!!!

Hell Yes!! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X