Winter Olympics is missing something

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter Olympics is missing something

Anybody else think that perhaps the Olympics has jumped the shark?
    It seems that at least for the US Olympians this time, the dignity has been superceeded by something classless.
    I don't want to go into details as not to spoil anything, but, what went wrong? Is the object to symbolize your country or is it simply to get your name known in order to get the next nike sponsership?

Just ranting, but it's getting embarrassing to watch.

Views?
    Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day, set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Re: Winter Olympics is missing something

I kinda liked the USA Female Curling team pics!! tastefully done. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
    Ah! and some of those speedskaters have the nicest rear ends that side of the pond.
    Mr. Patience.... ask for a free consultation.

Comment

Ice Dancing

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Now, our girl is HOT!

But I love the Olympics. Especially the Winter Games
      Charvel: Model1, 2 & 5, Surfcaster 12
      Jackson: DK2, JRS-2, Kelly

Comment

I havent watched anything of them yet. I like the Hockey but with the time differences I didn't get to see them during the week. I'll watch some tomorrow.

I'm a hockey player and grew up a Detroit area rink rat so I have thing for womens figure skating...something about the skimpy outfits and figure skating thighs [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I do like watching them skate too.
        shawnlutz.com

Comment

The prime time coverage is pretty lame. i'm glad i caught some of the nordic events. I just don't like the X-Games stuff like Border cross.

Comment

I'll always be a big Olympics fan.
            the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

I used to love to watch the figure skating but it's all about technical ability rather than style anymore. Last time I watched one (last Winter Olys) some chick was skating her head off hitting every jump and spin and all that perfect, but it was like she had no idea there was music playing. She had no rhythm, and no style. She was all brain and no heart. She sucked, basically. So what if Yamaguchi and Kerrigan and the others from a few Olympics ago missed a jump or a spin, at least they were graceful.

As for the other events, feh. Too many "American" events for me. I'm waiting for them to introduce BBQing and NASCAR and Wrasslin and Football as new Events. I won't be surprised.

Don't care for the Summer games either - Basketball (yawn), Boxing (or rather, fighting with gloves on - all the boxers are dead, nothing left but fighters), swimming (I like doing it, but watching it is a drag), baseball (baseball!?!), and the other crap. The gymnastics stuff is the same as the skating stuff - all scales and modes and theory with no emotion, no style, and no grace.

The Olympics are dead.
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

What about biathlon, Newc, that seems right up your alley! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

It's professional atheles just performing at another competition. the whole olympic concept is a thing of the past. I got a kick out of that Lindsey chick snowboarder X, hotdogging it at the finish of her run and falling and losing the gold.
                  I say the boy ain't right!

Comment

no, Olympics don't miss anything, these are the best winter Olympics for our country so far, 3 golds is pretty big for a little piece of shit country like Estonia (population 1,5 million)
                    "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

was watching the skeleton tonight. Crazy shit, that, face first down the bobsled run on a piece of tin with rails on it.
                      Hail yesterday

Comment

Oh arrogant Cana-DUH!-- way to give the Swiss a win [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                        shawnlutz.com

Comment

Yeah, we are missing our medals! They do these big coverage pieces on the American atheletes that are "supposed" to get medals....gold medals at that...and then they don't make the podium. I have missed it these last couple of nights...has Bode even medaled yet?

And, I dig X-Game events...at the X-GAMES. I don't think that snowboard half pipe is an olympic event, period.

Figure skating has been ruined by the new rules. I will admit that I like figure skating...pairs, women, even the men's events. It just blows me away because I always found it nearly impossible to even skate in figure skates...hockey skates are totally different. But, as Newc said, the style has gone out of it. Robots that can perform the tricks and the footwork required, win.

Still, I tune in whenever I can..because I love the winter games.

Mike

p.s. this year's crop if Ice Dancing chicks are HOT!!
                          Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

I'll wait for the summer Olympic Womens Beach Vollyball.
                            ...that taste like tart, lemon yogart

Comment

Working...
                            X