Movie scores anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Movie scores anyone?

Does anyone else on here have an unhealthy obsession with movie scores? Nothing gets my blood flowing quite like a well written movie score.

Howard Shore is rapidly becoming one of my favorites, as his usage of themes throughout the Lord Of The Rings movies really impressed me, but I don't think he can dethrone John Williams though. I picked up the Star Wars Episode III soundtrack/score and there is some excellent pieces in there, as well as some very sinister / dark sounding works. James Horner has also put together some of the best scores out there.

Anyone else into movie scores or should I get my head checked? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Re: Movie scores anyone?

I am into Ennio Morricone and Basil Poledouris

Name the movies
    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Ennio Morricone has done a ton. He did The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly and Untouchables.

Didn't recognize Basil Poledouris.

Comment

I'm not a big moviescore fan, but I love the one Danny Elfman did for Corpse Bride
        "I hate these filthy neutrals! With enemies, you know where they stand. But with neutrals... who knows? It sickens me!"

Comment

Oh yeah! John Williams, Michael Kamen (RIP), Jerry Goldsmith, James Horner, and Danny Elfman are my faves.

Right now one of my favorite pieces is the Xmen suite by John Ottman from X-men 2.

Comment

My favorite soundtracks are:

Good Will Hunting
            Gettysburg
            Braveheart
            Les Miserables
            Riverdance

Comment

Vangelis' "Blade Runner" soundtrack is just amazing! [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]
              Eric Serra's "Fifth Element" is also very good.
              I've got a couple of the "Babylon 5" soundtrack discs by Christopher Franke, which are great late-night chilling out music.

Comment

I love many already mentioned, and really dig Don Davis, too...

Keith
                The JCF-er Formerly Known as axtogrind.

myspace.com/boogieblockmusic

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  Ennio Morricone has done a ton. He did The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly and Untouchables.

Didn't recognize Basil Poledouris.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, and Morricone had already done the scores for the first 2 movies in the Dollars trilogy, A Fistful Of Dollars and For A Few Dollars More, which I prefer to the overused themes in GBU.

He has worked on over 500 movies! [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img]

http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0001553/

Comment

Movie tracks kick ass, it's where I get a lot of inspiration.

John Williams is really pretty good, my favorite so far. He knows how to put on an atmosphere for anything.

The Lord of the Rings soundtracks are really fucking good too.

You might also look into "Hunt for the Red October". I can't remember who did those, but they are really good.

Comment

Basil Poledouris did the Conan movies. Fantastic stuff, especially the first movie. I love movie scores too. Check out Morricone's sountrack to Mel Gibson's Hamlet. Fucking brilliant.

jgcable: another Les Miz fan? I thought I would be the only one here!
                      THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        You might also look into "Hunt for the Red October". I can't remember who did those, but they are really good.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img] You can use the Internet Movie Database (IMDB) to find that, dude. Turns out it was none other than Basil Poledouris

http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0006231

Known, as NV mentioned, for the Conan soundtracks, and also for Robocop (very distinctive and martial score).

Comment

I like 'em if they're good [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
                          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
                          X