GM realizes that the new GTO sucks!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GM realizes that the new GTO sucks!

Finally, they figured it out! With all the cool retro classic muscle cars in the making, GM finally realized that the GTO was a piece of crap, and in no way resembled the classic it represented! If they bring 'em back they better do it right this time! Here's the article:

By JAMIE LAREAU | AUTOMOTIVE NEWS

AutoWeek | Published 02/21/06, 1:04 pm et

DETROIT -- General Motors has told Pontiac dealers that it will discontinue the GTO coupe at the end of this model year. GM will make the last deliveries of the vehicle to dealers by the end of September, sources close to Pontiac say.

GM will produce 10,000 to 12,000 more GTOs before dropping the nameplate, one source close to the situation says. Last year, Pontiac sold 11,590 GTOs compared to 2004 when it sold 13,569. That's a 14.6 percent drop.

When Pontiac launched the GTO in 2003, it projected 18,000 annual sales. The vehicle was criticized for bland styling, and some fans of the original GTO complained that it lacked nostalgic styling cues.

A Pontiac spokesman confirms the GTO will be discontinued after the 2006 model year.

“There are some changes in the federal regulatory standards. One is an airbag deployment standard that would require some very expensive re-engineering of the car,” says Jim Hopson, Pontiac spokesman. “Since the architecture of this car is being phased out around the world it’s not economically feasible to continue this car.”

Pontiac will continue to build the GTO through the end of May, Hopson says. The last “boatload will hit the ground in June”, he adds.

The GTO first came to dealerships in December 2003 as a 2004 model, Hopson says.

The GTO is built on a rear-wheel drive architecture from GM's Holden division in Australia. The present model is going out of production as GM constructs the new Zeta RWD architecture, says the source.

There is no replacement coupe planned at this time and because of the strong Australian and weak U.S. dollar, the GTO had to be priced thousands over where GM originally wanted it -- in the mid-twenties, the source says. "It never did as much volume as we had hoped," the source says.

Pontiac is considering a replacement in the lineup for a RWD performance vehicle, but does not have anything to announce yet, Hopson says.

The GTO suggested retail price starts at $31,990, including shipping. One GM source says, "the 2005 and 2006 were pretty well sold out, and sales were especially strong in areas of GM weakness, like Southern California. It's a shame it has to go -- for now."
    My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Re: GM realizes that the new GTO sucks!

I think it's a great car, but it never struck me as very GTO-like. Over here, they're called a Monaro and are basically a 2 door version of the Holden Commodore, a large family sedan. I wasn't that surprised when they announced they would be releasing a version in the States, but as a GTO? That was a surprise.

The guys on Top Gear seemed to really like the car when they did a head-to-head between the new Jag, the Monaro (released by Vauxhall in Europe) and the Chrysler 300C. Check out the Beach Boys section on this link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/topgear/series_5/prog_1/
    Hail yesterday

Comment

They should have just killed the FWD Grand Prix and badge the "GTO" as such.I think that would have gone over a lot better then what they did.The could have also done a RWD Monte SS instead of the nose heavy FWD mess they have now.
      Mike
      --------------------------------------------------------------------
      SLS TG // SLATQH TSB // 2 CS Soloists both 24.75 scale // 5 Archtop PROs //

Comment

I think the GTO would have done much better if it hadn't been named the GTO. If you can't pay homage to the original with some kind of retro styling, it shouldn't get the name.

Comment

Its a great monaro rebirth, and a great car, but not a gto. Blame Lutz for being such a douche not the car. A coupe variant of the classic aussie sedan, understated, and well built. It was just a weekend project by 4 or 5 guys at holden, it was released as a concept and stirred the Aus industry massively. They wanted to sell 2000 to break even, but it turned out to be a highly successful car, international design awards, and launched Michael Simcoe's career majorly. Lutz liked it so much he wanted it in the us lineup. So they brought it over under the GTO name. Totally different from the sweet, mint white 66 or 67 gto that drove past me last week. Very rare in aus, especially around here. Totally different car, and after the baby boomers have jumped the prices and 'aura' of muscle cars to rediculous levels its gonna take a decade before they are touchable in any form again. Some idiots payed over half a million for a daytona ferrari back in the day [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

The Monaro is the perfect base for a modern hot rod too. Theres plenty of cheap power options for ls1's and 2's. 365kw costs $4k aus, Supercharged or NA. Goes up from there. A couple of turbo kits out there too for the insane. The only 'new' car I'd buy. Mate has an '05 Monaro(we only get the ls2's in hsv's) with a 3.5" exhaust, custom headers, ceramic half way down the car. Best sounding car on the road to my ears!

Now that I think of it, the aussie HSV GTO is more gto then the us one, go figure.

Comment

The GTO was a band aide after the Camaro fiasco........
            Straightjacket Memories.Sedative Highs...........

Comment

Anyone else have one besides me? I bought a 2004 Anthracite Red GTO for over $10,000 off of sticker. I did not think I could get that much car for under $24,000. As a side note, I am not very much into muscle cars and I bought because it looks like a 2-door Honda Accord with 350 HP... so I basically bought one for the reason that everyone did not buy one. Its a blast for me to drive and I don't regret it one bit (except for gas prices maybe [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] )

Comment

I think it was a fabulous car, and I would have like to own one. Is it a "real" GTO? Well, was a '73 GTO a real GTO...or was a '74 GTO, merely a rebadged Nova with a shaker a "real" GTO.

What actually killed the GTO was the fact that the platform would not be federally certifiable in the next model year.

The styling was a bit mundane, but the driveline was world class. A 400 HP LS-2 wrapped in a true 2+2 chassis for 30k? Yeah, I don't think it was a disgrace in any way shape or form.

Just my input on this.

Mike
                Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

Typical GM--now they'll rush off to introduce a 'retro' GTO shaped like the 'banana' '69-70 cars, which will come out in about five years, just in time for the public to have gotten tired of the retro Mustangs and Challengers, assuming that the Challenger actually comes out--Chrysler would be idiots not to put that one out, but I don't follow these things so closely anymore. GM just always seems to be about three steps behind everyone else.

Comment

Well, they'd be going back to the whole "sister car" thing but if they release the Camaro, I think they should do a Firebird also. For that matter, why isn't Ford doing a Cougar version of the new Mustang? [img]/images/graemlins/idea2.gif[/img] They could shift more SN sales to Lincoln-Mercury stores, and maybe sell some more L-Ms to boot.
                    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      For that matter, why isn't Ford doing a Cougar version of the new Mustang? [img]/images/graemlins/idea2.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Because the Cougar was never a true sister car to Mustang.It was a upscale car that was to be Mustang like.But not a true sister car like the Camaro/Firebirds were.The Cougar is based on the Mustang chassis that was stretched 3 inches but that is were it ends.
                      Mike
                      --------------------------------------------------------------------
                      SLS TG // SLATQH TSB // 2 CS Soloists both 24.75 scale // 5 Archtop PROs //

Comment

and the Cougar later became a sister to the Thunderbird.
                        Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          Anyone else have one besides me? I bought a 2004 Anthracite Red GTO for over $10,000 off of sticker. I did not think I could get that much car for under $24,000. As a side note, I am not very much into muscle cars and I bought because it looks like a 2-door Honda Accord with 350 HP... so I basically bought one for the reason that everyone did not buy one. Its a blast for me to drive and I don't regret it one bit (except for gas prices maybe [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] )

[/ QUOTE ]

I completely understand your point in buying one. I too think the GTO was a hell of a lot of bang for the buck, but it just should have been named something else. As a "GTO" it was a failure. As a "Car" it was a hell of a machine.
                          My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

good riddance to bad rubbish

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              and the Cougar later became a sister to the Thunderbird.

[/ QUOTE ]

anyone else having trouble keeping up with these American Gladiators backstories?
                              Hail yesterday

Comment

Working...
                              X