Fucking Mechanics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fucking Mechanics

While living in AZ my car developed an oil leak and the A/C lost its charge so I took the car in to the local dealer who did $3k worth of work. The A/C lost its charge after 6 weeks and the oil leak was actually worse than when I'd taken it in. They said they'd done everything they could without pulling the engine and that if I wanted to go that route it'd be an additional $4k or so to start. Oil being relatively cheap I blew it off and just added quarts as necessary and lived with the pools of oil under the car and smoke clouds that followed freeway driving.

That went on for a couple of years until I got a great recommendation for a mechanic just down the street from me who unfortunately didn't work on the make I own but recommended a guy he really liked. It took the second guy approximately two minutes to locate the oil leak and longer to walk back to the shop to get a socket, ratchet, & extension than to fix it ... for the low low sum of $0.

For anyone who's keeping score:

On the shitlist - Schumacher European in Scottsdale, AZ
    The good guys - Wolfgang's VW & Porche in Sunnyvale & Corporate Auto Service in Mountain View
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Re: Fucking Mechanics

So where was it leaking from? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
    Scott
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Before I got the car it sat in a garage for the better part of 10 years and was driven maybe once a month. Schumacher replaced all of the dried-out seals on the top side but when they reassembled everything they clamped a small hose in the corner of the right side valve cover gasket. It was way back under the air cleaner and visible only with a very long dentist's mirror. Just a stupid fuckup by a lazy jackass.
      Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

Sounds like the old loosen the manifold trick.

I had a very similar problem years ago. I bought a used car from this shitty little used car lot. When I test drove it it ran fine. A few days later I noticed the car would die when I turned the A/C on...

I took it back and they told me it was a gasket on the intake manifold and was going to cost me $200 to fix. I couldn't afford that at the time so I dealt with it for a while. I finally took it somewhere else and the guy told me there was no gasket and simply tightened the bolts on the manifold. Problem solved and he did it for free.

3 Years ago I took my Camaro in to have the A/C fixed. $1300! The following summer I used it one fucking time and it started blowing hot air. So I take it back and they tell me $140 a pound for freon and it will take about 4.5 pounds.

So I said fuck it and learned to put the shit in myself. $20 Auto Zone, problem fixed and has been running perfect since.

Mechanics can certainly be the biggest crooks!
        Whataya Mean I Don't Support The System? I Go To Court When I Have To!

Comment

You are lucky YAO there are alot of crook mechanics around here. I live in Mountain View and work in Sunnyvale, by the way I live right off Grant road.

Comment

I know, that's why I was asking for recommendations the other day. You can't throw a rock out here without hitting a European car mechanic's shop but picking one out of the phone book pretty much guarantees that you'll get screwed.

Comment

What do you drive?

Comment

Everything Euro is pricey it seems...

A fuel pump relay that would be $20 for a US made car, compared one for a Porsche that is $68 wholesale (prolly $90 retail). Prices on a Bosch ignition module for that same porsche, was $768 to $1024 depending on who I called. Prolly a couple hundred for a US car at worst.

I just priced a rear end rebuild for a Toyota T-100, and the rear gears from toyota were $699!!! And a US truck is $169-$189. WTF???

Euro stuff aint cheap. It's good stuff, just not cheap.

And yeah, lotsa crooked mechanics out there.

Look at me though, I ran a shop that PRIDED itself on being on the up and up, gave good prices and diagnosed honestly, and we're going out of business cus customers sorta suck... Playing our top end work against shysters that "promise' cheap work to get the job from us, and once they get it, they screw the customer for more and STILL don't fix it right. But they stole the job from us and our "honest: quote.

Good work ain't usually cheap. and cheap work ain't usually good.

Cars just suck...

Comment

Fukkin people I tell ya, that sucks man. As if we all don't have enough to worry about and enough expenses in our life, people rip ya off insanely sometimes. Seriously, with stuff like that man, grab an "Auto Mechanics for Dummies" book and start learnin. The simplest things can probably be fixed yourself without a huge hassle

Comment

Jason - it's an old 420 SEL. I keep looking at new cars but they all seem like cheap pieces of crap in comparison. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Interesting note.

The SAME Bosch ignition unit for the Porsche, was $768 at the Porsche dealer, and the same exact module that is used also in BMWs was the one for $1024 at the BMW dealer.

Interesting price difference.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        Jason - it's an old 420 SEL. I keep looking at new cars but they all seem like cheap pieces of crap in comparison. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Especialy Benzes, eh? They pretty much started going downhill around '94
                        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
                          the new MBs are, but not BMW. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
                          I highly recommend those.
                          the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

I am glad I can still work on my cars myself, but with all the computerization and complicated emissions controls its getting to the point where no one but a dealer will be able to service a car, I have a couple early 90s volvos, a coupe and a wagon (great for hauling gear). I bought both at auction from an insurance salvage yard I used to work for, I have also bought a couple "parts cars" there as well. any one who has a problem with a volvo around here come here first before going to a real mechanic. usually its just a simple relay or sensor replacement and you're back on the road.
                            I say the boy ain't right!

Comment

Working...
                            X