Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Here\'s Another Dumbass on the International Le

ya, got me there. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
    but the same goes for beeing in the marines and skiing. that was just my point.
    I mean, there's nothing wrong in pride and wanting to serve the country, but I doubt this guy learned to ski since he wanted to represent the USA, more likely he represents them coz he's good in skiing. the intention is kind of different.

just wanted to remind it's only sports. some freaks ride down hills of frozen water with wood under their feet.
    I tried it myself, it's nonesense.

his attitude might be disputable, but for me it'd feel weird to judge the US-people by one guy who failed to ski.

not sure if you got my idea, didn't want to start any trouble anyway, sorry if I did.
    tremstick give-away (performer series trem)

Comment

First off, who cares if someone spelled it Roll, instead of Role. The point was made.

I'm wondering why that was the opening statement. Let me point out your faults, to degrade you before I make my point.

The guy never put himself out there to be something he isn't. He is what he is, and he's not living a lie, saying he's something he's not.

Comment

I'm not trying to say that all athletes should be role models. In fact, I don't think athletes should be role models except to other athletes.

The reality is that Bode is representing the USA. It says USA all over his gear. He is an American athlete in an internation competition representing our country. Don't think that they don't get this lecture multiple times before they show up at the games. He knows what is generally expected of him. He even goes so far in the article as to blame it on others -- "the expectations were other peoples". Damn right, the country expected you to be an world class athlete and to compete as such, and to represent our country well. Not mail it in because you are interested more in "the quality of life." You were sent over there as part of Tean USA. He knows he was supposed to represent our country appropriately, and now he's trying to rationalize his behavior and performance.

-Mark

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          First off, who cares if someone spelled it Roll, instead of Role. The point was made.

I'm wondering why that was the opening statement. Let me point out your faults, to degrade you before I make my point.

[/ QUOTE ]

No degrading comments were made. I didn't call him names, or make fun of him. I simply corrected an error. I spell shit wrong all the time as well. It's part of a discussion. I care. If I came off as degrading, my error.

-Mark

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            But you said it perfectly - "he represents our country". Just as Elvis was painted in all his various stages as being a symbol of America - from his wide-eyed naivete (sp Ron? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]) to his bloated, drug-swilling, fell-off-the-crapper-face-down-in-his-own-puke-covered-in-heroin-induced-diahrrea death.

How is this guy different from T.O. or Neon Dieon or Shaq or Tyson or McEnroe or any other self-centered showboat in any other "professional" sport?

Why should he uphold an ideal that no one else is willing to?

Then again, Flipside Theater presents the question:

"Why not?"

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent points.

This has me wondering if they way the world is now has anything to do with it. We get our information at lightning speed now, and every media channel has to be there, be the first, and to shove a mike in everyones face to get the soundbite of the night all over TV radio, the internet, etc. Athletes, and others, aren't equipped to say or do the most intelligent thing on the spot all the time. Nobody is. There is this huge pressure by the media to speak to them, to give them a story, and then they become offended when someone won't speak to them or says 'No comment.' Ever see the way they portray someone who won't speak to them?

I'm not sure if this is making any sense, or if I'm tying it to the present discussion appropriately.

-Mark

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/band.gif[/img]I think all the points have been made here ... the horse is officially dead. I suggest we all digest the points made and get back to being guitar-playing bro's again !!

[img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                I'm not trying to say that all athletes should be role models. In fact, I don't think athletes should be role models except to other athletes.

The reality is that Bode is representing the USA. It says USA all over his gear. He is an American athlete in an internation competition representing our country. Don't think that they don't get this lecture multiple times before they show up at the games. He knows what is generally expected of him. He even goes so far in the article as to blame it on others -- "the expectations were other peoples". Damn right, the country expected you to be an world class athlete and to compete as such, and to represent our country well. Not mail it in because you are interested more in "the quality of life." You were sent over there as part of Tean USA. He knows he was supposed to represent our country appropriately, and now he's trying to rationalize his behavior and performance.

-Mark

[/ QUOTE ]

again, I disagree with it being Bode's fault. It should be the responsibility of coaches and administration of the US olympic team to boot his ass off the team if they dont think he "represents" our country in the correct manner. They chose to let him compete. Bode never hid his behavior or attitude, so they knew what he was all about. Yet, they chose to let him compete, EVEN after all that shit came out on 60 minutes and TIME magazine. So I dont see where you can blame him. He is being himself, they choose to let him represent us in the games. My 2 cents. But hey, its just my opinion. I could be right, I could be wrong.

Its all good Dude, I am just voicing my ideas too. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

None of you fucks gave a shit about his past World Cup achievements. Why the hell should he win because the Olympics is the only time anybody gives a damn?
                  We must!
                  We must!
                  We must increase the bust!
                  The bigger the better!
                  The tighter the sweater!
                  The boys are counting on us!

Comment

SO, just becasue someone can do something halfway well they have to be a fucking virgin Madonna as soon as someone shoves a camera in their face???

[img]/images/graemlins/bs.gif[/img]

Yes, he was "there to represent the US"... yes, he didn´t do well.... But just a side note: we´re put on this earth to live OUR lives as WE see fit. And that´s what hes doing. By his partying and failure he´s actually a greater and better role model than he would have been as a limp dicked order taker that won...

Has anyoone here ever competed in teh Olympics? Has anyone here ever been famous, whether they wanted to or not? If not, they you really should be quiet IMO, becasue you have ZERO, and I mean ZERO understanding of how he thinks and how he lives his life with the pressure.

Bottom line: it´s easy to criticize, and people that are secure of themselves usually don´t give a flying fuck, because we KNOW that you can´t do it any better and are just really pissed at your own shortcomings for the most part. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

And to be fully honest: anybody that didn´t see this coming months ago is in serious need of glasses and a reality check.... Pissing about his lifestyle, even though there was never ANY doubt in anyone´s mind what would happen.... you guys are doing the same as tossing a live grenade under your truck and then complaining when the truck is fucked up 5 seconds later.... Your ignorance and that of the coaches is in no way his fault, the same holds for the Pink glasses that suddenly failed all of you last week.

[ QUOTE ]
                    None of you fucks gave a shit about his past World Cup achievements. Why the hell should he win because the Olympics is the only time anybody gives a damn?

[/ QUOTE ]

I rest my case [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Ok, so we're playing nice kids ? Alright then, I'll be back to check on you later !! * kiss *

Comment

I would party like a fucker too
                        "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          I would party like a fucker too

[/ QUOTE ]

You, me & Bode !!! PARTAY BABY !!!!!!! Olympic Village must have a few lampshades and a chandelier !!!! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

Matti Nykanen partied hard, drank like a maniac, fucked a lot of chicks, got himself to a lot of trouble etc. but he was the best ski jumper ever and won tons of medals.
                            "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

For the record I'm not criticizing Bode. He won us a WC overall championship last year for Christ sake. That hasn't been done by a US skier since 1983. My gripe is with all these assholes that call him a loser because he didn't medal in their precious fucking olympics. Nobody cared what he did last year. And until the olympics start nobody really cares about skiing at all. Which is bullshit. The only time Bode was of any value to any of them is when he had a shot at a medal. The idiots in the media twist everything the way they wanted with this just like all the other crap they do. And when he didn't meet their expectations they rain shit all over him. Well fuck them and fuck anybody else who doesn't appreciate what he has done. He's won before doing it his way. Nobody cared then. So they sure as hell shouldn't expect him to change his routine now. It was fine when he medalled in 2002. But no medal and f you seems to be the way it is now. I hope no one that's been calling him a loser ever has to be scrutinized by the media like he was. They'll find the slightest bit of dirt they can on you and make you look the same as they are doing with Bode. I actually enjoy WC skiing. And more than Bode has contributed to the team. They for the most part got left out though. It didn't surprise me when Ligety laid down those 2 nice slalom runs in the combined. He's been on the slalom podiums 3 times this season. And out of any of the speed events I would have expected D Rhalves to be the front runner for the US. And since Julia Mancuso didn't say it I will, fuck you Porkaboo Street!!!
                              We must!
                              We must!
                              We must increase the bust!
                              The bigger the better!
                              The tighter the sweater!
                              The boys are counting on us!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

Has anyoone here ever competed in teh Olympics? Has anyone here ever been famous, whether they wanted to or not? If not, they you really should be quiet IMO, becasue you have ZERO, and I mean ZERO understanding of how he thinks and how he lives his life with the pressure.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bullshit. If you decide to be a public figure, you WANT people to talk about you. (like we are doing now) That opens you up to both praise and criticism. It's part of being a public figure.

And I have a good idea of how he deals with pressure -- CHOKE!!!

-Mark

Comment

Working...
                                X