Chicago area residents in please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chicago area residents in please

I'll be in the area from approximately August 1 until approximately March 1. I don't know the city well at all but I'll be looking for a place w/in 30 minutes of the downtown area. Suggestions on general areas to check out / avoid would be very helpful and specific recommendations (furnished, short lease, doesn't have to be large or great, just clean & relatively safe) would be welcome as well.

Thanks!
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Re: Chicago area residents in please

My sister and brother-in-law are looking to sell their penthouse in Lincoln Park. I could put in a good word for ya. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Get back to me in a year when I decide whether I'm sticking around or not. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
      Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

Are you going to be relying on public transportation or will you have a car? There are some nice suburban places to stay that are within 1/2 hour of the Loop (on a good trafiic day). I'll try to help you out with some suggestions.

Comment

Here's a great site:

http://centerstagechicago.com/virtual-el/

&

http://centerstagechicago.com/lifest.../l-guides.html

I only really hang on the North side. I have been to the South side a bit - around Printer's Row and stuff, but I prefer the North Side.

If you want to live in a place with lots of night life/restaurants/cool shops, check these areas out (In my opinion, right now I think Ukranian Village might be the best value as far as price vs. things to do, but it's not necessarily close to the El. Otherwise I'd go Bucktown/Wicker Park):

* Bucktown
          * Lakeview
          * Lincoln Park
          * Lincoln Square
          * North Center
          * Old Town
          * Roscoe Village
          * Ukrainian Village
          * Wicker Park
          * Wrigleyville

Comment

and this is a decent place to find places for rent:

http://classifieds.chicagoreader.com...ction=oid%3A8&

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              Are you going to be relying on public transportation or will you have a car? There are some nice suburban places to stay that are within 1/2 hour of the Loop (on a good trafiic day). I'll try to help you out with some suggestions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Many thanks! I'll definitely have a car so public transportation won't be an issue.

Lance - thanks for the links, those are just the sort of things I was hoping to find.

Comment

if you are working in the loop, having a car means you're going to pay $200 - $300 a month to park it.

Comment

That's about what I expected but thanks for the head's up.

Comment

Do you use your car for your job?

Honestly, taking the 'L' or a bus into the Loop is your best bet. Not only is it cheaper, but more often than not, during rush-hour, you'll find it's faster. And besides expensive, parking is a bitch. In the Loop and in the neighborhoods.

As far as living goes, you should look to be somewhere near the 'L'. It's your fastest and most reliable way into the Loop.
                    Occupy JCF

Comment

Dude, if you end up in Chicago, we're going to have to hook up. It's looking like the wife and I will be moving up there in early 2008. Maybe you'll still have a GMP or 2 I could get my grubby paws on. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

aw man, i miss home.
                        Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                        Sully Guitars on Facebook
                        Sully Guitars on Google+
                        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Definitely Travis! There'll be quite a few GMPs in the stable for the forseeable future. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            aw man, i miss home.

[/ QUOTE ]

Trip to the River North Portillo's in it for ya if you come back to visit.

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

(Damn, I should work for the Chicago Office of Tourism!!)
                            Occupy JCF

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              Portillo's

[/ QUOTE ]
                              damn i miss portillo's !!!we had some fed exed on thanksgiving [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                              down here in wilmington nc ..its vinegar bbq sauce and cole slaw on cheeseburgers!!WTF [img]/images/graemlins/eviltongue.gif[/img]

but there's allot less snow!!! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
                              “But does it help with the blues rock chatter?"-Hellbat

Comment

Working...
                              X