Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Make your bass sound like Korn...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...bass+is%3Afree

I want this tone!!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Re: Make your bass sound like Korn...

Yikes!! I am not a Korn fan, but I am pretty sure their bass doesn't sound like that.

Comment

actually Korn's bass sound is a low end fart and you can hear that "metallic" string tone.
      But it's not definetly done like that, no scooping. I'm sure they use combination of amps, corssovers and DIs. Low end is clean and the upper FQs are distorted.
      "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Thats pretty close to how it sound actually. As Endrik said I doubt its done like this kid does it, but this is probably as close as you can get without alot of playing with extra shit. As Endrik also said their stuff while its very low and distorted is pretty tight and clean. Its actually a pretty badass bass sound IMO.

Comment

My guess:

One signal to DI and directly to the board
          The other one to crossover where the signal is splitted to 2.
          The low end signal goes to the bass amp head with huge cabs (w/ 15" speakers) and is miced. The sound is clean because distorted bass guitar's low ends only make the mix muddy. The amp could be a SS because SS sounds cleaner.
          The hi and mid signal goes to other head(s) (tube amps) could be even guitar amps. I think the speaker's are smaller, like 10". The amp(s) are overdrived/distorted. It's miced.

Both signals are going to preamp and then to the board.

All (DId and miced signals) are heavily EQd and probably comprssed.
          All are mixed to the middle.

I'm just guessing based what my ears tell me.
          "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Also, I think they use pretty moderate amount of distortion on the hi and mid frequency.

Also the ultra low/heavy Korn sound is coming form the bass NOT from the 7 string guitars.

Also, a lot of the Korn's bass lines are slapped wich gives an extra punch to the mix.

Also, I feel sorry for the engineers because recording and mixing the bass guitars' low B string is pain in the ass, most of the producers don't allow bass players to use 5 string basses in the studio (for open low B playing)

Comment

Working...
            X