calculus help....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• calculus help....

Can someone help me find the integral of (x^p)ln(x)dx? thanks!

Re: calculus help....

is p whatever exposant because I could help you. But I just cant seem to find a way to integrate it by variable switching if I dont know what is P

Comment

yes

Comment

from what im trying, the answer will be highly algebric when i'll try to find the primitive

Comment

Well! I opened Maple (powerfull math software) and maple did it... It gave a very big stuff. Is the problem right.

Do you have msn, maybe I could show you what it gave me

Comment

We're doing the kids' homework now?
            "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I can help you.. just a minute

Comment

You have to do integration by parts.
                You'll have to take the integral of one of those inner functions, and the derivative of the other.
                Since ln(x) is easier to differentiate than to integrate and x^p is not that hard to do either way, I'd go with differentiating ln(x).

The answer will be [ln(x)*(1/x)*x^(p+1)] minus the integral of (1/x)*x^(p+1)*ln(x)

Then, that integral should be easy to evaluate by substitution of variables because you have ln(x) and its derivative, 1/x in the same function.
                Let U = ln(x), then x^(p+1) is equal to (E^u)^(p+1)
                If you need more help, let me know.

By the way, this is assuming p is a constant.
                If you are in vector calculus and p is a variable, sorry but I can't help you yet [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

EDIT--
                oops, I goofed and wrote some ps where I needed x

guess what, x^(p+1) times 1/x is equal to x^p, no?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  We're doing the kids' homework now?

[/ QUOTE ]

Kids? lets see you try it gramps. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Get offa my lawn, you punks! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

"Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      Get offa my lawn, you punks! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nothing like chasing away the ever so adventurous and rebellious math nerds, who are always up to no good.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        You have to do integration by parts.
                        You'll have to take the integral of one of those inner functions, and the derivative of the other.
                        Since ln(x) is easier to differentiate than to integrate and x^p is not that hard to do either way, I'd go with differentiating ln(x).

The answer will be [ln(x)*(1/p)*x^(p+1)] minus the integral of (1/p)*x^(p+1)*ln(x)

Then, that integral should be easy to evaluate by substitution of variables because you have ln(x) and its derivative, 1/x in the same function.
                        Let U = ln(x), then x^(p+1) is equal to (E^u)^(p+1)
                        If you need more help, let me know.

By the way, this is assuming p is a constant.
                        If you are in vector calculus and p is a variable, sorry but I can't help you yet [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea I was supposed to do it with integration by parts, but I got a really fookin ugly answer...

ln(x)[x^(p+1))/(p+1)] - [x^(p+1)/(p+1)^2]

Comment

by the way, PLEASE look at my edited version of what I typed, I goofed at first haha.. I'm definitely not used to typing out this kind of crap, especially when I can't enter symbols for integrals and superscript and stuff...

Comment

wait asecond I goofed it up again, I had it right the first time... it is 1/p times x to the p+1 damn it

Comment

look what maple gave for answer :

Comment

Working...
                              X