Band Web page

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Band Web page

My band approached me on building a web page for us. Nice page with pics, links to misc things like bios, gig dates, places, etc.

I've looked at Front Page, but I wanted to throw this out at the jcf crew and get inputs on the best software (and easy) to use, and maybe how some of you went about doing yours. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    Occupation: Department Director for the Department of Redundancy Department

Re: Band Web page

Many many moons ago, I started with Netscape Composer. Then I started tweaking things from a text editor. While tweaking things I got to know basic HTML and Javascript. (and now CSS) While my fellow Admins yell at me for not using Dreamweaver, I personally prefer to go from scratch. Blank text file in front of me and browser open right next to it is the way to go... (for me at least - I just like doing things the difficult way)
    Occupy JCF

Comment

i've never used front page, but from what i've heard of it, i'm okay with that fact. traditionally i use dreamweaver. you also may wanna go with a template that you can edit. this site has a ton of them:

http://www.openwebdesign.org/

agreed that knowing how to hand code everything on your own is a great thing (kinda like knowing guitar theory), but if you're just starting out, you may wanna try a what you see is what you get kinda thing.

there's also google site creator; you may like that as well.

sully
      Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
      Sully Guitars on Facebook
      Sully Guitars on Google+
      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Just make it easy on yourself and do a myspace account for the band. It has everything that anyone could need to see on it about your band all in like two pages, plus it makes for good correspondance with other bands and venues and such. Plus it's free. We don't even have a real website anymore, just the myspace thing.

Comment

LOL! Boxcar... Read through the Jackson MySpace thread in the General J/C section.
          Occupy JCF

Comment

Wow, sounds silly, but this kind of opening up a new world. I'm gonna check it all out, I'm getting ready to take a business supplied class in Front Page, but I also want to look at Dreamweaver and others too, as well as My Space. Thanks all for jumping right in there and lending an expertise hand. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Having a MySpace wouldn't hurt since it would just be free publicity, but that website is constantly down, slow, or under maintinence. And the music player there doesn't work a lot. That websites bandwidth must be beyond past through the roof after how much it's grown in the past year or two.
              If you're flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit. Unless you are a table.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

there's also google site creator; you may like that as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don check out this thread about Google Site creator:

http://www.jcfonline.com/ubbthreads/...&Number=666340
                "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Nice Ron
                  I'm gonna check it all out. I opened up your first attempt link there. Nice car. What kind is it?

I'm getting ready to start a Dreamweaver course that my company offers for free here, then I'll take the Front Page course right afterwards.

In the meantime, I'll be searching the Google sight as well as MySpace sight.

Thanks [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Comment

Didn't I write that on there?

It's a Cadillac Cien show car. They used it in the movie "The Island"
                    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I designed and maintain my band's website using Front Page, and despite the criticisms it gets from HTML purists, I find the software to be perfect for an amateur such as myself. Setting up frames, photo galleries and MP3s is a piece of cake.
                      sigpic

Comment

I just finished the course on DreamWeaver, Friday. I'll be taking a course on FrontPage Monday. Some of it seemed pretty easy, but I think actually building it using either one of these programs, is where I'll gain the knowledge.

FrontPage is what my buddy uses here at work for our website. He recommends it as a starting point, for an amateur, as myself. DreamWeaver wasn't hard to follow throughout the course. Maybe I'll use both [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] and see which one I like better.

Comment

dreamweaver will give you better code when it's all said and done.
                          Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                          Sully Guitars on Facebook
                          Sully Guitars on Google+
                          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Working...
                          X