Ford Explorers/lemon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ford Explorers/lemon

Does anyone here own one? I bought my wife a brand new one back in 03 and it has been nothing but a headache. We are currently on transmission #2. The vehicle only has 40,000 miles on it.I bought American because I thought the american Auto makers had got it togeather. I guess not. I am going back to Toyota. Detroit you had your chance. Since it is out of warrenty i just got stuck for $2400. I am beyond pissed. Sorry I'm just venting. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

Re: Ford Explorers/lemon

Yep, American cars are in the dumps. I regret getting my dodge neon now [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] Next car will be a Honda Civic for sure.

Edit:

What was that joke? 90% of Ford cars are on the road. The other 10% made it home. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Honda/ Acura all the way.

Comment

Before I shit Can Explorers(since I don't like them anyways) What were the Failuers? Did you do your rutine schdualed maintnence? At the Dealer or Oil Can Bob's Down the Street? A lot of Stuff like this can be blamed on the owner just not paying attention. Did you check your fluid like the manual said?
        I've fallen, Fallen through. If I'm Not With you, All I wanna Do Is Feel blue

Comment

My Explorer went through 3 tranny's. Its the most common problem on automatic Explorers.

I drive a Nissan now. Not even a hiccup.

Comment

I have a 2002 (new style) and it has been really dependable, though nowhere near as good as the three Jeeps I've had.

Problems on mine were:
            paint faded on roof rack
            Paint staining - weirdness on the black tween door fillers - twice!
            Seat Belt tenisioner
            Brake light switch
            Tons of brake light bulbs (three?)
            Brackets on the rear window fell apart at 6 months old. It was recalled for that three years later!

The drivetrain has been super reliable though. V6/Auto XLT model with 65,000 miles.
            When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

Your a funny guy! There is no dip stick to check the tranny. It is what they call a sealed unit. Yes! all maitinence is done at the dealer.

Comment

Not a US car basher. I currently own a 04 Tahoe Z71 and before that had a 02 2500HD and a 97 Dodge Ram 1500. All have been trouble free, Had 80k miles on the dodge before I sold it, HD had about 30k and my Z71 is already in around 35k. On the other hand 2 of my sisters in laws and my brother in law have had Fords. 2 Expedition, aand 2 1500 pickups, all 2000 to 2005 models. Every single on of their vehicles have had several problems, be it transmission, brakes, engine problems, for some reason lots of burnt bulbs. They all are in and out of the shop. I used to love Ford, my 1st car when I was 16 was a 89 stang GT convetible. I wouldn't get one now for anything.
                Come and get one in the yarbles, if you have any yarbles, you yunick jelly thou!

Comment

I have a Ford F-150 (1994) and I love it. I have had very few problems beyond normal wear and tear. I haven't gotten rid of this one because it is paid for and I honestly haven't found something I like as much. My brother has had a Ranger, an Explorer, and an Expedition. My father had an Expedition. They never had problems either. However, I was talking to some mechanics the other day and their general opinion was that Ford isn't making trucks as good as they used to. I have read lots of reviews that the Escapes have bad transmission problems and the transmissions are made by Mazda. I have 2 friends that have Mazda 626s (2003ish) and they have both had to replace transmissions. I wonder if the Explorer transmissions are Mazda made as well. It is really too bad. I would prefer to buy US made, but right now I am thinking that I will buy a Toyota truck/SUV when the time comes.

Comment

I have an '02. No problems with it so far.
                    Whataya Mean I Don't Support The System? I Go To Court When I Have To!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      Your a funny guy! There is no dip stick to check the tranny. It is what they call a sealed unit. Yes! all maitinence is done at the dealer.

[/ QUOTE ]

didn't know tha, I know there are a few imports with seald units, but didn't know the Explorer had one
                      I've fallen, Fallen through. If I'm Not With you, All I wanna Do Is Feel blue

Comment

Yeah, we have a lot of troubles with exploders (as we call them,) and those 5sp automatics, haha.. they can blow up reeeeel good sometimes.

To ascertain proper trans fluid level, you have to have a special tool "plug" to put in place of the the drain plug. It is like a plug with a tube in it that is a couple inches tall, and you actually "pump" fluid into the trans through that plug and basically sorta overfill it, then let what is above the tube drain back out till it's level with that tube. Then you pull that plug/tube and put the real plug back in....

What a pain in the ass... Guess they get a lot of friend transmissions because of fluid losses... Ya can't check em...

Comment

The problem is that you bought a Ford... if youd have gone with a GM truck, youd be MUCH happier. They dont call them Exploders for nothin'! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
                          Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Both my parents have one (a 2000 and 2003, I think). No problems so far, though I still wish they had bought something else, Fords piss me off.
                            If you're flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit. Unless you are a table.

Comment

Yeah, I hate the way they shift... Almost as bad as the Tauruses... Actually... they are as bad. Just a different bad. haha...

Comment

Working...
                              X