Cingular wireless internet service for laptops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cingular wireless internet service for laptops

Has anyone here (at least in the Central or Eastern time zones) tried the Cingular wireless internet (PC card in your laptop) plans? What about Verizon?
    Those two are the local "big dogs" as far as cel service, but I haven't heard from anyone who has their data plan (full internet access with a laptop using their PCMCIA card, not that Blackberry crap). I know this stuff is very regional in terms of quality and service, so that's why I'm looking for input mostly from those in the Central or Eastern US - Chicago to Miami to Bangor to Dallas.

Cingular's running an "Unlimited" special at the moment (unlimited data transfer), and the last time I checked the site their data plans were available only with a phone plan package, but now it seems they've separated them into two parts.

Verizon apparently doesn't have a PCMCIA option any more (unless it's buried in their site - whoever designed it needs to be killed with it [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img])
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Re: Cingular wireless internet service for laptops

I have Cingular, but I'm in the Mountain time zone.
    The connection quality is awesome.
    I don't use the PCMCIA card though, I use my cell (V3 RAZR) via a USB cable. Fast is an understatement.
    -Rick

Comment

I have the Verizon with the PC card. It works well, but can be slow sometimes.

However, you can go anywhere with it, which is a plus.

Mike
      Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        I don't use the PCMCIA card though, I use my cell (V3 RAZR) via a USB cable. Fast is an understatement.

[/ QUOTE ]

is that an add on service that you have to subscribe to of do you just pay for the amount of data xfers?
        shawnlutz.com

Comment

Hmm, I didn't know Cingular had internet service. I've had my cell phone service through them for at least 7 years, and I've been very happy with them.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

is that an add on service that you have to subscribe to of do you just pay for the amount of data xfers?

[/ QUOTE ]
            it can be an add-on service.
            I don't use it enough to warrant the additional monthly charge. I just get hit with additional data usage charge.

[ QUOTE ]
            Hmm, I didn't know Cingular had internet service.

[/ QUOTE ]
            Yep... they have it. There is a whole section telling you how to setup your cell so you can use it as a high speed USB modem to access the internet.
            Only works in areas that have GPRS/EDGE support, which is pretty much all of Phoenix for me.
            -Rick

Comment

I have Verizon with the PC card. It works pretty well and I have been happy with it. Speed varies depending on where you are and the signal you get. I pay $59 month unlimited usage.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                Hmm, I didn't know Cingular had internet service.

[/ QUOTE ]
                Yep... they have it. There is a whole section telling you how to setup your cell so you can use it as a high speed USB modem to access the internet.
                Only works in areas that have GPRS/EDGE support, which is pretty much all of Phoenix for me.

[/ QUOTE ]
                Cool. I know I can access the internet from my phone, like the IM service, and surf around if I want to, but I hardly use it anyway. I might have to look into it and see.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I had set it up originaly with my Nokia 6230, but the speed was ok at best... like a normal dial-up connection.
                  I just upgraded to a new RAZR V3 and it's about two or three times faster.
                  You just have to make sure your phone can be used as a USB modem.
                  If it can, you're in business.
                  -Rick

Comment

Thanks for the tips [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

I had bought one of those Go Phones from WalMart back in January, and wasn't planning to get a full-on Contract phone service becuase I don't use a phone at all if I can help it (911 and Domino's [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img])

But my Aunt in Louisiana had asked me if I knew anything about the Cingular wireless internet thing, so I started looking into it back in mid-January. That's when I saw they were only offering the internet thing as part of a package deal, but wanted to see how much use I'd actually get out of a cel phone before splurging on the phone and net package deals. I've still got $30 of my initial $40 airtime from January, so I'm not using it much [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

But $60 a month and no bandwidth limits sounds like a good deal to me, as long as it's as fast as my home cable setup. Who wants to wait 3 hours for a 5 MB file? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Anyhoo, the phone I have is the Sony Ericsson T290a, which has some sort of wide plug on the bottom but I can't find cables readily for it (took a month to find the car lighter charger cable), so I don't know if it can do the USB modem trick.

How much should a V3 Razr go for? Is there anything comparable in terms of features and speed bbut without the "popularity" pricetag?
                    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

I had bought one of those Go Phones from WalMart back in January, and wasn't planning to get a full-on Contract phone service becuase I don't use a phone at all if I can help it (911 and Domino's [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img])

[/ QUOTE ]

Newc, that's exactly the type of usage I am looking for in a cell, your thread sparked mine:

http://www.jcfonline.com/ubbthreads/...&Number=676939

You're a fart smeller, please check that out and comment if you will. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
                      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Newc...
                        I'm guessing your laptop doesn't support wireless internet eh?
                        I used to use Verizon for my laptop. It sucked, and this was about 6 years ago already. I'm sure technology has improved light years since then.

Comment

Ron - replied.

Ken - Actually it can do wireless. It's got 2 USB ports, a firewire, an ethernet, and a dialup port. It's also got a PCMCIA slot. When I do use it at home, I use the USB port for the wireless modem. I had a PC card in it at first, but wasn't getting a strong enough signal, and had bought the USB thing for my dad. But since he keeps his in the living room where the modem and router are, I traded him the PC card for the USB modem.

But as far as like wireless stuff built right in, no it doesn't have that. I still need some sort of external modem with everything except dialup.

Unfortunately, no one else around here that I know has a laptop, much less a "fancier" internet connection than dialup or cable [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Looks like I'll hafta blaze myself a trail [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

What I'd really like is something that allows me to connect to my existing cable service, and avoid having THREE internet service bills (we keep our old dialup service for emergencies - when the cable blows out at least we can dial out and see what's up).

Comment

I can't live without a cell phone...I don't even have a home phone anymore...they are an anachronism.

I like the Verizon. Sometimes it is hard to find on the site, but it is certainly there. You need to look and see how much coverage they have in your area. My signal is much stronger and faster in New Orleans, than it is at home in Mandeville.

Mike
                            Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

How much should a V3 Razr go for? Is there anything comparable in terms of features and speed bbut without the "popularity" pricetag?

[/ QUOTE ]
                              New Cingular customers can get a V3 for $99.
                              Being a longtime customer, they gave me mine for $39 with my contract renewal.
                              The cool thing about the V3, you only need a standard USB to mini-USB cable to connect it to your laptop.
                              I just used the one that came with my Canon Rebel XT camera.
                              Unlike my Nokia which required me to purchase a very expensive proprietary cable that is useless to me now.
                              -Rick

Comment

Working...
                              X