Transferring from drive to drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transferring from drive to drive

I have a 40gig harddrive that is beginning to make funny noises. I am also having intermittent problems with booting up and lock ups. I think the drive is starting to crap out. I have a few new drives to replace it with. The computer currently is a dual processor and has 3 hard drives in it running Windows XP Pro. How do I copy the entire contents of one drive onto another one. The drive that is having the problems is my main hard drive and contains the operating system.

Re: Transferring from drive to drive

Use a product called Ghost. It's from Symantec.
    It will make a bit for bit copy from one HD to another.
    The whole thing runs from one floppy disk.
    Very easy to use. It's $70 to download it, but worth every penny. Saved my butt more times than I care to count.
    http://www.symantec.com/home_homeoff...t10/index.html

There are less expensive ways out there, but this one is 100% reliable. I've been using the product for almost 10 years now.
    Commercial over. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
    -Rick

Comment

ghost is very cool, but can you just install the new drive while keeping the old one in there, and simply move the files from the old one to the new one? that's what i did when i got my mac.

sully
      Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
      Sully Guitars on Facebook
      Sully Guitars on Google+
      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Yeah, you can use the utility that comes with the new disk to set it up and then copy all the info over. If you dont have the disk you can download the utility from the drive's website. Example, maxtor has maxblast software to do this. It works great. But copying an ntfs partition with lots of data on it takes a while, an hour or two sometimes. Fat32 drives copy faster for some reason.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          ghost is very cool, but can you just install the new drive while keeping the old one in there, and simply move the files from the old one to the new one? that's what i did when i got my mac.

sully

[/ QUOTE ]
          That only works on a Mac... since his primary OS is running on the drive in question, a simple copy would not transfer any boot files or make the partition the active system partition.
          Ghost or even the Maxtor disk copy utility (same thing as Ghost really) will do the job just fine.
          -Rick

Comment

Working...
          X