Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone have Vonage for local/long distance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone have Vonage for local/long distance?

Was thinking of switching over, but wanted to hear both the pros and cons of Vonage, TCP over IP, etc. Let me know if you have it, how long, what you like/dislike, etc. Thanks!

Re: Anyone have Vonage for local/long distance?

I don't have vonage but I have ATT call vantage ..different provider same thing .. Works great ..very happy with it ..clear as a bell ...
    Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

You're welcome Kev.

[img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
      Occupy JCF

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        You're welcome Kev.

[/ QUOTE ]

That where your working now?
        Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

SBC purchased AT&T. We're now under the AT&T brand. Your previous phone company was SNET wasn't it?
          Occupy JCF

Comment

no ..I've always had either ATT or Verizon ...

Comment

Nightmare! Don't switch. Besides the major item of not being able to use a fax machine, the service totally sucks. Vonage bought out Earthlink which is what I had for a few months. But, we totally would miss calls, people couldn't hear us, volume problems, everything you can think of.

Comment

Hmmm, wait. I think SNET was in Conneticut only.

For the past 13 years I've been technically with the same company. They've just been changing owners. I started with Illinois Bell, then we changed the name to Ameritech, then we merged with SBC (which, at the time was Southwestern Bell Communications {SBC}, Pacific Telesis Group, and Southern New England Telecommunications {SNET}), and then we purchased AT&T and took on their name for brand recognition. (now we're purchasing Bell South)
                Occupy JCF

Comment

I use Vonage and don't have any problems. If you have a good broadband connection it works well. If your broadband sucks, well, Vonage is gonna suck too.

I wouldn't use it to replace a regular line though, since the 911 service is questionable and it won't work in a power outage.

What I like most about it is it lets you get a phone number in pretty much whatever area code you want so that people in that area can call you without long distance charges.

Comment

Im in the process of switching to vonage from verizon. I think a lot of your clarity and stuff will depend on your cable system too. Ive got optimum online and optimum cable too. Ive never had any problem with either and they are rated the best in the nation supposedly. But, vonage seems to be having problems porting my number. Verizon says there should be no problem as my number is portable. I told vonage that if they couldnt port my number then to forget it. That was yesterday. We shall see.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      I use Vonage and don't have any problems. If you have a good broadband connection it works well. If your broadband sucks, well, Vonage is gonna suck too.

I wouldn't use it to replace a regular line though, since the 911 service is questionable and it won't work in a power outage.

What I like most about it is it lets you get a phone number in pretty much whatever area code you want so that people in that area can call you without long distance charges.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this the whole "virtual" number thing? Does it cost to get one? So, I could have my regular number and a florida number too and my relatives in Fla. could call me like it was local? Is that how it works?

Comment

I'm not sure about vonage but I do love the tools ATT offers with it too ..

When I get voicmail it emails the voicemail wherever I want
                        Call Filtering- You can filter or block completley any number you wish ..
                        Do not disturb ..they get a message saying you are not wating to accept calls unless it is an emergency ..

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          Call Filtering- You can filter or block completley any number you wish ..

[/ QUOTE ]

So that's why you never answer when I call!!!

Occupy JCF

Comment

I wonder if ATT's TCP over IP is available in the Chicago area. One of my buddies just switched to Vonage and said it's great. We both have the same Internet connection (Comcast cable). Thanks for all the info. so far guys.

Comment

We have vonage here,and we have no problems...There is a slight echo right before the connection,but it does not last through the call...
                              Bon Jovi is like a frozen Coca Cola.. It's cool, it's crunchy, but when all is said and done it is still pop....

Comment

Working...
                              X