No announcement yet.

Best/cheapest prepaid cell phone deal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best/cheapest prepaid cell phone deal?

I did some searching after reading Newc's Cingular thread and found this interesting "article":

A Detailed Guide To Making Pre-Paid Phones Work For You

This is for people who don't use a cell for huge amounts of time, but want a cell without having to be on a contract for $35+ per month

I haven't had a cell for a couple years now and would like to get one again, the above plan sounds good for a cheapskate, anybody have any better ideas? Newc?

Related links:

http://cheapphonecards.com/cccart/customer/home.php

SIM cards on eBay
    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Re: Best/cheapest prepaid cell phone deal?

I'm with Tracfone...

Only been with them for a month or two now, but the service and prices seem to be very reasonable for ...ummm...cheapskates... [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

I got Virgin Mobil for my parents for Christmas. They only have to top up their phones with $20 every three months. It's something they won't use all that much, mainly in case of an emergency.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I tried Tracfone. Had it for about a month and never got it conected, then read stuff online where people were having the same trouble - 2 years earlier.
        Several people said the same things I was going through - phone not connecting, phone reset by customer service (they can reset it but they can't activate it?), and finally they say to send the phone to them in Florida. Then they ask for the original sales receipt.

So, I chewed out the manager of the local WalMart (where I got the phone), then chewed out someone at the WalMart HQ about it, then called the FCC.
        Motorola owns/operates Tracfone, and the FCC has received "numerous" complaints about their "service".

So I got my money back from Wal Mart and got a Go phone: Cingular - SonyEricsson T290a.
        I wanted the Motorola flip-up phone like I got for Tracphone, because it keeps the buttons nice and safe (plus if you're gona go Star Trek, go with a flip-up [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]) but they were out, and I went ahead and got the "candy bar" [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

But the thing to know about Go phones is they do not show how many airtime minutes you have like Tracfone did, it shows how much $$ you have left in the account. It's all the same as far as cost per minute, but since I started with the Tracfone I was already used to seeing "xx Minutes left".

Anyway, I bought a $25 card when I bought the phone, plus I think 10 minutes free with it (or $10 worth of minutes, whatever) and I've only used the phone a total of 21 minutes since I got it in January.

However, there are several options in each area. I could have gotten a Virgin Mobile pay-as-you-go phone, but the service is only available in Jackson TN (about 40 miles away) and in Missouri, so when you go for one, make sure they work in your area/zip code.

Based on personal experience, I'd go with the Go phone, but it's up to you. Definitely talk to people in your area and find out what they have and have used before. Speak to the person who works the phone counter - ask them what they sell the most of and see the least trouble out of. Ask them which ones they have to activate for the customer (saw tons of people at the desk at WalMart with a Tracfone trying to get the counter girl to activate it, haven't seen one with a Go phone there yet).

Good luck, bud [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
        X