drumset for a 7 year old?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• drumset for a 7 year old?

I'm going to be looking for a set for my 7 year old. He's been asking for the past 3 years so we're givin in. This will be for his birthday in April.

I'm lookin to spend around $400 maybe a little more( alittle less would be nice [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]). I don't want a total cheapo set or a smaller set. He's a little bit bigger/taller for his age so I think a regular sive set is in order.

I figure, If it doesn't stick, I (him and I) can flip the set for something else. If it's a cheap set, your stuck with it.

Any ideas/thoughts/leads?

BTW, his brother (going to be 9) is going to be getting the Camo bullseye for his birthday in June. We normally would spend so much on the drum set, but since my other son is getting a $700 guitar.....(yeah I know I didn't pay that! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img])
    "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Re: drumset for a 7 year old?

My son got his first set about a year ago and it was a beginner PDQ set for $300. A year later we upgraded him to a 7 piece Pearl Forum set, for $600.00. He still plays the PDQ set at his mom's and the pearl set is at my house.

The PDQ set is low-end, but wasn't bad quality at all.

Comment

So he's sticking with it? My son is dead serious. He wants lessons and everything.

PDQ huh? sounds interesting. I'll check it out.

Thanks!

Comment

I shopped around for a while and bought a Pearl Export Select shell pack, new, for $300. Added a couple of stands, hi hats, and bam - we were done.

Lately though all my son or I have been playing is this thing:

Yamaha DD55c

It is perfect for us, small, and takes headphones. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Keith
        The JCF-er Formerly Known as axtogrind.

myspace.com/boogieblockmusic

Comment

look at the ludwig accent, the ddrum diablo set is nice, the tama stagestar (it is a smaller set with an 18" kick drum)
          GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

My cuz is a Sonor dealer..so I started my boy on that and we just added on from there...I started him on a satndard 5piece set and it came with Sabian B8 hi hats/Ride/Crash

he took to drums like a fish to water..I should have bought him a double kick from the get go...he was playing double kicks on one bass pedal..two feet on one pedal in perfect meter...that was a trip!!! [img]/images/graemlins/brow.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

somethimg to think about..because he'll want a double kick..if he takes to drums quickly!!

Vinny is better than most guys I jammed with!! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Get a set of ear plugs and build a sound proof room too.
              Thats my suggestion.

Comment

Thanks for all the suggetions guys. Now I have plenty to work with.

And Bill, Thats actually a good suggestion. I may not get a double kick pedal up front, but I'll get one soon after.

"Get a set of ear plugs and build a sound proof room too.
                Thats my suggestion".

Not a bad idea either John. I bet I'm going to regret this! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

It'll be worth it if he sticks with it. I played guitar and my brother played drums. My parents lived! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

electronic drums.. Roland pads with headphones. Having been the 7 year old with wanting a drum set, and actually getting a 'fake' drumset, your tolerance level will have to be set pretty high.

Comment

Yeah is sticking with it. He only started taking actual lessons back in November.

Not sure if I posted this here or not, but here is a video clip of his first solo performance from January.

Linky

Comment

Sure Jim..Hey an easy suggestion on that sound proofing thing..We just throw a blanket over the kit itself..it's perfect ..we jamm like that all the time for years now..I actually like the way it sounds..it also keeps the dust off and saves some wear and tear on the heads too!!!

Vinny has..umm..well it's right here..he's got four mounted toms..a floor tom..a splash , a ride , a crash and a pang..and a double kick pedal..

I took a little loss on the trade in on the bass pedal just a year later..because he was double kicking with one foot about two months into it..he likes fast stuff like Nick Barker and Dave Lombardo..stuff like that..so double kicks was important to him..and me..

He was playing "Painkiller" earlier..it fucking rocked!!!..I had to grab my guitar and go!! [img]/images/graemlins/band.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/band.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

I got the 5 pc Sonor in a cool matte black w/ the basic Sabian package (hi-hats/ride/crash) for 5 bills out the door and we upgraded with a couple of toms, some more symbols and of course most importantly the double kick within a couple of years!!

all together I prolly have about 800 bucks into it..and he's set..he's ok for now..

It's alot of fun jamming with him..I don't know how he got this good..I can't play drums..so I'm NO help..he don't take lessons..he just jams with me and plays what he likes..like "painkiller" and he plays it.

I come up with my own songs and riffs with him..so it's fucking great!! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        Yeah is sticking with it. He only started taking actual lessons back in November.

Not sure if I posted this here or not, but here is a video clip of his first solo performance from January.

Linky

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn. Not to shabby. How old is he?

Bill, good idea about the blanket. I'll probably do that for sure. It's cool that you can Jam with Vinnie. I hope Ben sticks with it. It would be cool to jam with him. He likes pretty much everything I listen to. I figure, I'll show him how to play (as best as I can. I'm not drummer, but I know whats going on) a few songs that he likes and take it from there.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          [ QUOTE ]

Linky

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn. Not to shabby. How old is he?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. He is 10 years old. The Rock School he goes to puts on a show every 3 months for the kids. His next one is in April. I'll be performing with him a that one. It's cool getting to bond with him that way. He has learned to appreciate all types of music, so I have been really impressed with how he has taken to it.

Comment

buy good cymbals. greast resale value sold individually.

1st, get good high hat cymbals. this is what your son will be hitting the most. nothing is more annoying than continuous 1/8 notes on a crappy set of high hats. then get a good ride cymbal after that.
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Comment

The Sabian B8 package is cool for the dough..they got em Musicians freind..and it comes with a splash too..

That would be nice if these kids stick with it..Vinny's bummed about his broken atm ..he has a big cast on it..it'll be off pretty soon.

I don't push him..I encorage him..or "remind" him on ocassion if I notice he hasn't played in a while..I lay the gettar down for a week or so at a time on occassion..

Yes I understand drums..I can explain what to do..but I can't execute what I'm explaning..that's his job.. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Yeah, he likes all the bands I like..he has his faves..Slayer/Cradle of filth/Dimmu/Arch Enemy/Nevermore..he's a basher! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X