Gear credit cards.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gear credit cards.

Do any of you have them? Musicians Friend, Guitar Center, Etc, Etc... I am thinking Carvin because I want to pickup a poweramp and cab from them but I really need a new guitar. I like their guitars, but if I am going to spend $1500 on a custom carvin I would like to explore my options a little with other makers... (Jackson *cough cough*)

I am wondering what a good one to have would be? The two afformentioned companies are typically over priced and I would rather not deal with them. Are there any other good ones out there to have for both big and small purchases?

PS... I know credit cards in general are bad but hey.. I need gear just like everybody else does and I will not have a lot of debt in month so what the heck... As long as you moderate the usage and make at least the minimun payments it can work out pretty well right?
    Light intervened, annihliating darkness.
    The path of salvation made clear for the prodigal human race

Re: Gear credit cards.

Talk to Matt
    Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

I had a MF card for years. It was cool, because they gave you like 6 months to pay without interest. I always paid before 6 months so I wouldn't get blasted with their high interest rate.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I think alot of em have the no interest deal. If you buy a guitar from Carvin I think if its 1000 or more it's no interest for a year but if you blow it the interest is ridiculously HIGH.
        And I actualyy think alot of these cards for the different companies come from the same bank.
        http://www.myspace.com/chriswestfallguitar

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          Talk to Matt

[/ QUOTE ]

+1
          sigpic

Comment

if you can't pay for it today with cash....you won't be able to pay for it tomorrow. Don't buy anything on credit except a home and a car.
            shawnlutz.com

Comment

I would talk to Matt cept that TS100 poweramp from Carvin is priced so well. Matt is a great guy/dealer (he sold me my preamp) but unless he carries a tube poweramp for around the same price I am going to go with the Carvin direct from them.

PS.. I want to stress again I think Matt is a great guy/dealer. I am not trying to lowball anyone.

Comment

I had a Guitar Center credit card and had nothing but trouble with those son of a bitches.

If I use a CC for anything I normally just pay it off when the bill comes in. I didn't use the GC card often, but when I did it was nothing but a headache.

I went maybe 8 or 9 months without using that card. I go into GC one day to buy some new cables, $200, and the dude said, "sorry this card is no good." I tell him, no man, that card is fine it's always a fucking hassle using it. So he tries again, then call calls the finance company. Hangs up and says sorry dude, this card is no good... So I pay cash for the cables, leave go home and call the fucking idiots and they tell me they cancelled the account... What shocked me more was the stupid ass, idiotic fucking reason this dunce gave me...

Because I hadn't used the card in such a long time!!

What in the name of fuck is that!?

BTW, they don't like it when you actually ask them that same question! They will start rattling on some stupid bullshit about about being offensive or something.

I do still have a Musicians Friend CC though. No problems there. Luckily they both use different companies for their cards or I would have just cancelled it when I had the GC problems.
                Whataya Mean I Don't Support The System? I Go To Court When I Have To!

Comment

I wouldn't recommend using any cards, but from the one's I've used, I never really got a hassle from MF and always got my stuff quick. Don't use a Sam Ash card [img]/images/graemlins/nono.gif[/img].
                  Occupation: Department Director for the Department of Redundancy Department

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    Because I hadn't used the card in such a long time!!

What in the name of fuck is that!?

[/ QUOTE ]
                    Some companies will do that if you don't use their card for awhile. I had Sears do that to me once, then I had to reapply and get a new card.
                    I also had Levitz and Seamans furniture credit cards, they were both used once, and I assume they cancelled them due to lack of use.

MF actually closed my account last year after I filed for bankruptcy (ex-wife left me with a shitload of other credit card debt). The bank said I was at risk, even though I didn't want to involve them in the bankruptcy and I had never missed a payment ever with them, they closed my fucking account, and I only had about $500 on the card and it would have been paid off in way less than 6 months anyhow! Now I've gotta pay them back through my attorney and trustee for my bankruptcy. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I generally avoid any card that doesn't offer same-as-cash financing, as far as store cards are concerned. When MARS was still in business, I always shopped there rather than GC, as the MARS card was three months same-as-cash...all the time.
                      sigpic

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        PS... I know credit cards in general are bad but hey.. I need gear just like everybody else does and I will not have a lot of debt in month so what the heck... As long as you moderate the usage and make at least the minimun payments it can work out pretty well right?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
                        As long as you moderate the usage and make at least the minimun payments it can work out pretty well right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Paying minimum payments gets you nowhere. If you can't pay off more than that, you'll be paying forever.

I agree with Shawn. For something like a guitar, save your money until you can afford it.

If I need some extra cash to buy something, I take out a "personal loan" from our savings account, and then pay it back. No interest payments that way.

- E.
                        Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Comment

If you've got the discipline to treat a credit card as a serious installment plan--in other words paying something off in two or three equal installments, that you can comfortably make based on your income and expenses--then I don't think there's a problem, but there's always the temptation to carry the debt out a bit farther once you've already incurred it. Usually better not to charge the little stuff.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            If you've got the discipline to treat a credit card as a serious installment plan--in other words paying something off in two or three equal installments, that you can comfortably make based on your income and expenses--then I don't think there's a problem,

[/ QUOTE ]

thats pretty much what I am going off of. I will not to be able to pay it all off right away, but it is all stuff that I am in dire need of for gigs and stuff and I know i will be able to pay it off in a reasonable amount of time (a few months)

AlexL.. What bank is it that you work at? Is it in Rogers?

Comment

I don't work at the Rogers bank; I just keep things on a pretty strict budget at home. Hasn't done me wrong yet.

- E.
                              Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Comment

Working...
                              X