Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cruises - Who's gone on em?

Hey guys,

I've never been on a cruise before, so I have no idea where to start on researching these things. I was looking at the Travel channel and the Disney cruises look unbelievably great, but pricey on the activities such as the spas and all. How are the other lines (Royal Caribbean, Carnival, etc) compared to Disney? I am willing to spend a bit of money to send my mom, sister and nephew on a cruise, but I'd also like to stretch the buck so they can do a lot and have a good time. Spas, dancing, whatever women do to relax and something for my 7 year old nephew to do also. Thanks for any help. I've been researching, but I'd like to know from people that have gone on em and maybe if they could tip me off on saving money (if the others are just as fine and cost less, stuff like that). I want my mom to relax and have fun for 3-5 days, and have a nice view, so let me know what a know, anything really, I never gave this kinda stuff any thought. Thanks guys!

- Irfaan -

Re: Cruises - Who\'s gone on em?

This doesn't really pertain to prices, and I'm not sure what company it is, but one of my cousins went on a cruise and said nearly everything is prepaid (food etc). You just pay for the booze. He said it was really worth it.
    If you're flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit. Unless you are a table.

Comment

Yep everything but drinks is prepaid and now you can prepay your tips on certain cruise lines.. I've been on 2 and we did Carnival. They are usually a younger "Party" type crowd where I've heard the other lines are older people and tend to be a lot more laid back .. My friend went on Royal Carribiean and he had been on carnival with us and commented how the cruise was good but not quite as fun as carnival ..

Food is non stop .. picture having a free pass to Buffets, a restaurant, a pizzaria and room service for 1 week without ever paying for it ... it's a pretty good value when you think about it ...
      Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

I've been on 3 cruises. Twice with Carnival and once with Celebrity. They are the best IMO and I'd be willing to wait and save up to take a cruise instead of any other vacation, hence the only 3 in my lifetime [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Yes, Carnival was more of a "younger" oriented crowd. Celebrity had an older crowd. The activities on a cruise are awesome, they have all kinds of things to do, shows in the evening, midnight comedy shows, all kinds of clubs if you like dancing. You can also chose to do nothing if you want to relax.

When you go to the islands as part of the cruise, they were all great. Lots to see and the locals were always friendly. I usually opt for island tours so I can try to see most of the island that we visit. If it's an island I've been to before, I'll just hang at the beach all day [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
        We also took a sunset booze cruise in Aruba, that was awesome.

If you like to eat, you are all set. You are fed constantly and the food is actually very good. The dinners are always 5 courses and you can order as much as you want. It was funny, one time my wife didn't like her main course and she was embarrased to tell our waiter about it. He told her not to be silly and then brought everything else on the menu to the table, we were all laughing. Great times.

Food and onboard entertainment is included, the only thing you have to pay for other than the cruise itself is your booze and any island excursions.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          If you like to eat, you are all set. You are fed constantly and the food is actually very good. The dinners are always 5 courses and you can order as much as you want. It was funny, one time my wife didn't like her main course and she was embarrased to tell our waiter about it. He told her not to be silly and then brought everything else on the menu to the table, we were all laughing. Great times.

[/ QUOTE ]

On our 1st one the waiter recomended a dinner and I balked at it .. So he brought that dinner and the one I ordered .. After I tried it he smiled and said that's WHY I recomend what's good ..
          Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

We went on a cruise like 8 years ago and it was great. One of the best vacations we have ever had. It was Norwegian cruise lines, either 5 of 7 days. My Father and his last wife were cruise freaks. They went everywhere...she liked to spend his money...anyway...they said the Carnival type lines were a younger crowd. So that is consistent with what others have said. The food was great, lots to do, and they had a midnight chocolate buffet. It was like going to an all you can shove buffet, but everything was made of chocolate. When they opened the doors to the buffer it was like Charlie and the Chocolate factory...old people going crazy for all the chocolate. We ate like pigs!

Comment

Took an 8 day cruise on the USS Nimitz aircraft carrier to install some equipment for my company and train the ship's personnel.

Does that count?

- E.
              Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                Took an 8 day cruise on the USS Nimitz aircraft carrier to install some equipment for my company and train the ship's personnel

[/ QUOTE ]

That must of been the all-inclusive cruise. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                Occupation: Department Director for the Department of Redundancy Department

Comment

Yeah, but the amenities were not quite those of a five-star cruise line.

Seriously, I have a LOT of respect for those who serve our country on those ships. I thought the conditions were miserable, and I only had one roommate; I can't imagine how uncomfortable the berthing/barracks areas are. Plus, I had access to officers mess, officers restrooms, etc.

- E.
                  Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Comment

I just booked a cruise to Puerto Rico. Its a Princess cruise on their brand new ship, the Crown. My sister is a cruise freak and she picked it out as a cheapie. Its a one way to PR from NY and I have to fly back, but its still 8 days and stops at 4 other Islands. Plus its a brand new ship and Ive heard that thats really cool because everything is still nice and clean. Free food for 8 days. [img]/images/graemlins/drool2.gif[/img] It will be my 1st cruise. It should be fun. Ive got months to wait though.

Comment

Cruised to Bermuda and back on my honeymoon on Royal Caribbean. Awesome experience! Can't wait to do it again!
                      For what we got our package for was an amazing deal. Nice accomodations, nice line of ships!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        Yeah, but the amenities were not quite those of a five-star cruise line.

Seriously, I have a LOT of respect for those who serve our country on those ships. I thought the conditions were miserable, and I only had one roommate; I can't imagine how uncomfortable the berthing/barracks areas are. Plus, I had access to officers mess, officers restrooms, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, with 20 years active duty service, I got to spend a lot of time on those luxury liners. Some better than others.
                        The grilled cheese was always the same wherever I went though [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]........concrete quality. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
                        Occupation: Department Director for the Department of Redundancy Department

Comment

As much screwed up stuff as the media has been talking about regarding cruises, like with the missing people and the homicides, and the cruise lines being very uncooperative with authorities, it's good to hear good stuff about them.

The media certainly makes them seem pretty dangerous.

Comments?

Comment

ya'll ever see the move Titanic?

My parents go on them all the time and they really enjoy it. I have a problem being stuck on a ship in the middle of nowhere for a few days at a time.
                            shawnlutz.com

Comment

Shawn, I thought I would have that problem as well until I went on a cruise.

My wife and I just returned from a one week romp with Carnival and we had a blast. The ship was big, clean and well appointed. There was fluff everywhere and lots to do - if you wanted to do anything.

Booze fixes up those days at sea so you don't go crazy. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                              Tarbaby Fraser.

Comment

Working...
                              X