lost "even more" respect for Black Sabbath , Ozzy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: lost \"even more respect for Black Sabbath and

There was a bootleg of Neon Knights with Halford on vocals floating around,he's pretty damn good on it...as if he wouldn't be...duh.
    Bon Jovi is like a frozen Coca Cola.. It's cool, it's crunchy, but when all is said and done it is still pop....

Comment

Steve...I must hunt down a copy of that bootleg..It must smoke!!

He was called on short notice..early 90's ..yep, Ronnie said Fuck you, I'm not openig for that dick...well something to that effect..

he stood his ground..he didn't do it..he's a man of his word..you gotta give him that much...he's short but he has big balls..I never seen his balls..but I hear them all the time on his records..he must have grapefruits down there..he sure sounds like he does!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        AC/DC would be a rare exception to the fact about replacements not having equal status since Bon Scott practically hand-picked Brian Johnson to replace him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point. I'd hate to think that Bruce Dickinson might rate a mention when Paul D'ianno & the boys in Iron Maiden get inducted [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Or Marty Friedman, the replacement guitarist in Megadeth. Or Joey Belladonna, that second singer in Anthrax. Or Jason Newsted, that other bassist in Metallica. Or Doug Wimbish, the replacement bassist in Living Colour. Or Ron Wood, the dude that came in after the other guitarist died. Or Dave Gilmour, that johnny-come-lately in Pink Floyd. Or Stevie Nicks & Lindsey Buckingham, who made Fleetwood Mac sellout. Or Jimmy Page, who replaced replacement guitarist Jeff Beck in the Yardbirds.

So I hear what you're saying. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
        Hail yesterday

Comment

Rob Halford was a "replacement" for Al Atkins in Judas Preist.. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            Steve...I must hunt down a copy of that bootleg..It must smoke!!

He was called on short notice..early 90's ..yep, Ronnie said Fuck you, I'm not openig for that dick...well something to that effect..

he stood his ground..he didn't do it..he's a man of his word..you gotta give him that much...he's short but he has big balls..I never seen his balls..but I hear them all the time on his records..he must have grapefruits down there..he sure sounds like he does!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]. I would love to hear Halford doing some Sabbath tunes. He kicked the hell out of The Wizard on that tribute album. [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]
            Tarbaby Fraser.

Comment

Yes Jimmy..he sure did...I was actually thinking of that song..we are always on the same page man!! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

well most always.. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                [ QUOTE ]
                AC/DC would be a rare exception to the fact about replacements not having equal status since Bon Scott practically hand-picked Brian Johnson to replace him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point. I'd hate to think that Bruce Dickinson might rate a mention when Paul D'ianno & the boys in Iron Maiden get inducted [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Or Marty Friedman, the replacement guitarist in Megadeth. Or Joey Belladonna, that second singer in Anthrax. Or Jason Newsted, that other bassist in Metallica. Or Doug Wimbish, the replacement bassist in Living Colour. Or Ron Wood, the dude that came in after the other guitarist died. Or Dave Gilmour, that johnny-come-lately in Pink Floyd. Or Stevie Nicks & Lindsey Buckingham, who made Fleetwood Mac sellout. Or Jimmy Page, who replaced replacement guitarist Jeff Beck in the Yardbirds.

So I hear what you're saying. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

OK Gary...shall I start by tearing each of those exaples apart?...LOL! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Paul DiAnno - Maiden's original, but unfortunately not enough to get them to the status they are today.

Friedman...in my opinion...If Megadeth ever got inducted, I would rate Chris Poland (and Gar Samuelson R.I.P.) as their original lineup, and DID spring them into the spotlight with Peace Sells.

Belladonna...ok...we know Neal Turbin was the original, but again like in Maiden's case, wasn't enough to get them noticed (and by noticed, I don't mean SELLOUT).

If Metallica got inducted...they should be mentioned with Cliff in memory...'nuff said.

I'll stop here just short of correcting you on the Yardbirds reference...Jimmy Page played bass to fill in on some shows in the very end as the band was collapsing (Beck had been long gone at this point). He was going to reform the group with all new members under the name The NEW Yardbirds...that quickly changed to the Almighty Led Zeppelin [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Just bustin' ballz mate! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

My favrotie Maiden was the DiAnno years..my introduction to them was Killers...man what a landmark album! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Bruce Bruce from Samson kicked arse tho in NOTB..of course and he stayed until...well Blaze Bailey took over for two pretty lame albums..the chemistry just didn't work..Blaze is cool on his own..but not in Maiden IMO..

It worked out well tho for maiden..because Bruce is much more a singer and maintained his voice pretty well over the years ..DiAnno's voice is pretty fucking shot!

DiAnno's solo release that came out a few years back was OK..but all he really does is put out the same ol' maiden remakes over and over and over again..milking that ride to death! [img]/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Comment

Bill, I'm with you on early Maiden. The first album is still my favorite after all these years. The raw energy of those songs and the sound of Di'Anno's voice just kills me.

Bruce is a much better singer but I have always preferred the sound of Paul's voice...well, his early voice. After he recorded Battlezone, I think his voice just went downhill.
                    Tarbaby Fraser.

Comment

Exactly Jimmy!

Comment

Look, I'm NOT arguing that Dio should have been onstage with the original four Sabs, ok. But his contributions to Sabbath were much more than a footnote, and Heaven & Hell is *influential*, even if it didn't sell as many copies as Paranoid, but the two were actually pretty close in sales for quite awhile. Rainbow didn't make Dio initially famous, Sabbath did.

And actually, none of the Sabbath albums were ever huge mainstream hits. Ozzy's solo albums were much bigger mainstream hits than his Sabbath work. Ozzy's Sabbath albums got almost no radio play back in the day, and none were certified higher than gold until many, many years later. In fact, I believe the '99 Reunion live album was the biggest-selling Sabbath album at the time of its release.

Regarding the '92 Costa Mesa shows. It's true that Ronnie did not want to open for Ozzy and refused to play. But there's more to the story. Those two shows were added to the end of the Dehumanizer tour, and by the time that they were to take place, the Dio/Sabbath reunion had already gone to shit. He wouldn't have worked with Iommi and Butler again even had they not played Costa Mesa, and he wasn't contractually obligated to do those shows, since they were technically after the end of the tour. Should he have sung that show? Eh, maybe, but Ronnie is the sort of guy who is going to do exactly what he wants, the way he wants. Which is probably why he wasn't able to be Sabbath for any long stretch in the first place.

Comment

They don't have Van Halen in that list? What a fuckin' joke. But what difference does it really make being a part of another motherfucking hall of fame? NUTHIN'!!!
                          "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Dio is awesome...but he is NOT regaurded as part of Sabbath by the mainstream..

Man on the silver mountain, Rainbow in the dark, and a little Holy Diver was the only airplay Dio ever got...

We LOVE him...he's a household name to us..sure..but we are freaks...were are a minority...go outside right now..and ask 20 random people if they know Sabbath and then name three songs..if any, none of them would be Dio era! [img]/images/graemlins/refuse.gif[/img]

Comment

Ronnie's greatest contribution to metal is that he took the Maloik (I don't know if this spelled correctly, maybe Bill will know), and morphed it into the HORNS OF METAL!!

It is actually the Sicilian evil eye...and you have to make your fingers touch and then spit on the ground or something...I don't know. All I know is that if I turn that sucker on my GF, she gets pissed!!!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Mike
                              Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                                Look, I'm NOT arguing that Dio should have been onstage with the original four Sabs, ok. But his contributions to Sabbath were much more than a footnote, and Heaven & Hell is *influential*, even if it didn't sell as many copies as Paranoid, but the two were actually pretty close in sales for quite awhile. Rainbow didn't make Dio initially famous, Sabbath did.

And actually, none of the Sabbath albums were ever huge mainstream hits. Ozzy's solo albums were much bigger mainstream hits than his Sabbath work. Ozzy's Sabbath albums got almost no radio play back in the day, and none were certified higher than gold until many, many years later. In fact, I believe the '99 Reunion live album was the biggest-selling Sabbath album at the time of its release.

Regarding the '92 Costa Mesa shows. It's true that Ronnie did not want to open for Ozzy and refused to play. But there's more to the story. Those two shows were added to the end of the Dehumanizer tour, and by the time that they were to take place, the Dio/Sabbath reunion had already gone to shit. He wouldn't have worked with Iommi and Butler again even had they not played Costa Mesa, and he wasn't contractually obligated to do those shows, since they were technically after the end of the tour. Should he have sung that show? Eh, maybe, but Ronnie is the sort of guy who is going to do exactly what he wants, the way he wants. Which is probably why he wasn't able to be Sabbath for any long stretch in the first place.

[/ QUOTE ]

"Rainbow didn't make Dio initially famous, Sabbath did."

WTF? [img]/images/graemlins/what.gif[/img] Dude, pass me whatever you're smoking! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Dio's springboard to fame was EXACTLY as the ex-singer of Rainbow. That's how he GOT the Sabbath gig. In fact, Heaven and Hell is so Rainbow-influenced it's not even funny. At that point, if you were around then, Dio's addition actually boosted Sabbath's profile rather than vice versa. They were considered over because Ozzy was gone, wheras Dio, the former singer of Rainbow, was considered a vital new force in hard rock. He did help revive them, but they were more a commercial success than a major influence at that point.
                                Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X