Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: lost \"even more respect for Black Sabbath and

[ QUOTE ]
    Dio is awesome...but he is NOT regaurded as part of Sabbath by the mainstream..

Man on the silver mountain, Rainbow in the dark, and a little Holy Diver was the only airplay Dio ever got...

We LOVE him...he's a household name to us..sure..but we are freaks...were are a minority...go outside right now..and ask 20 random people if they know Sabbath and then name three songs..if any, none of them would be Dio era! [img]/images/graemlins/refuse.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

You forgot Last In Line and that compilation metal song where a bunch of singers did tracks. Dio's was the best I thought.
    Did you know that Dio means GOD?
    Also, back in the day, they used to refer to Ronnie as "The little Napoleon" because he was such a tyrant in the studio and onstage. He was extremely demanding. What an incredible unmistakeable voice.
    He is one of my favorite metal singers but I never think of him when I think of Sabbath. Thats the reason he wasn't up onstage at the RR Hall of Fame.

Comment

It's NOT Sicilian..it's Italian..it's called Maleocchio..(Evil Eye)..the horns are a charm or the symbol you give to someone you envy..wishing them illwill..the horns can either cast the curse or protect you from it..

my grandma used to check us for maleoccio with a bowl of water and drops of oil while saying a prayer "seceretly" while making the sign of the cross on your forehead..you can only tell this prayer to a loved one on Christmas eve..hey I didn't make this shit up....I was a victim of this crazyness..

If you notice..alot of Dagos..like myself have a single red horn hanging from the rear view mirror or a gold charm around are neck..it can also be the "horns" gesture..which I had for 30 years now..given to me by my grandma..now my son Vinny wears it..

They take this stuff seriously man!!

But Dio gets FULL credit for bringing his grandmother's tradtions and making it the universal sign of heavy metal!! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        It's NOT Sicilian..it's Italian..it's called Maleocchio..(Evil Eye)..the horns are a charm or the symbol you give to someone you envy..wishing them illwill..the horns can either cast the curse or protect you from it..

my grandma used to check us for maleoccio with a bowl of water and drops of oil while saying a prayer "seceretly" while making the sign of the cross on your forehead..you can only tell this prayer to a loved one on Christmas eve..hey I didn't make this shit up....I was a victim of this crazyness..

If you notice..alot of Dagos..like myself have a single red horn hanging from the rear view mirror or a gold charm around are neck..it can also be the "horns" gesture..which I had for 30 years now..given to me by my grandma..now my son Vinny wears it..

They take this stuff seriously man!!

But Dio gets FULL credit for bringing his grandmother's tradtions and making it the universal sign of heavy metal!! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, there you go...fully explained.

And yes, I know about the horn pendent. My GF actually got one when she was born, but she won't wear it. Alot of dudes wore those in the 80's. I actually look more Italian than she ever will...which is funny because her parents do look Italian. It also makes it really easy for me to use her credit card, people just assume I am Mr. Carolla!!

Here is a funny one for you, Bill. On the east side of New Orleans, the Carolla family was the Mafia family. The Marcellos were mostly on the West Bank. My GF still gets little "special discounts" sometimes when an old timer at a store reads her name on her card. They just assume she is one of "those" Carollas and still honor the family.

Mike
        Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          Hey who has more details on the Sex Pistols telling The Rock Hall to go Fuck themselves..

Now, THAT'S Rock N' Roll!!!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's what the letter said :

"Next to the SEX-PISTOLS rock and roll and that hall of fame is a piss stain.Your museum.Urine in wine.Were not coming.Were not your monkey and so what?
          Fame at $25,000 if we paid for a table,or $15,000 to squeak up in the gallery,goes to a non-profit organization selling us a load of old famous.
          Congradulations (sic). If you voted for us,hope you noted your reasons.Your anonymous as judges,but your still music industry people.
          Were not coming.Your not paying attention. Outside the shit-stem is a real SEX PISTOL "

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            [ QUOTE ]
            Hey who has more details on the Sex Pistols telling The Rock Hall to go Fuck themselves..

Now, THAT'S Rock N' Roll!!!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's what the letter said :

"Next to the SEX-PISTOLS rock and roll and that hall of fame is a piss stain.Your museum.Urine in wine.Were not coming.Were not your monkey and so what?
            Fame at $25,000 if we paid for a table,or $15,000 to squeak up in the gallery,goes to a non-profit organization selling us a load of old famous.
            Congradulations (sic). If you voted for us,hope you noted your reasons.Your anonymous as judges,but your still music industry people.
            Were not coming.Your not paying attention. Outside the shit-stem is a real SEX PISTOL "

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
            Who the hell wrote that rambling mess? John Lymon?

Damn, I could barely figure out what he was saying..but I got the gist. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Mike

Comment

they should TRY to invite The Misfits too
              "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Gotta be Rotten. That is definitely him to a T
                Look Up...Get Up...And Never EVER Give Up...

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  [ QUOTE ]
                  Look, I'm NOT arguing that Dio should have been onstage with the original four Sabs, ok. But his contributions to Sabbath were much more than a footnote, and Heaven & Hell is *influential*, even if it didn't sell as many copies as Paranoid, but the two were actually pretty close in sales for quite awhile. Rainbow didn't make Dio initially famous, Sabbath did.

And actually, none of the Sabbath albums were ever huge mainstream hits. Ozzy's solo albums were much bigger mainstream hits than his Sabbath work. Ozzy's Sabbath albums got almost no radio play back in the day, and none were certified higher than gold until many, many years later. In fact, I believe the '99 Reunion live album was the biggest-selling Sabbath album at the time of its release.

Regarding the '92 Costa Mesa shows. It's true that Ronnie did not want to open for Ozzy and refused to play. But there's more to the story. Those two shows were added to the end of the Dehumanizer tour, and by the time that they were to take place, the Dio/Sabbath reunion had already gone to shit. He wouldn't have worked with Iommi and Butler again even had they not played Costa Mesa, and he wasn't contractually obligated to do those shows, since they were technically after the end of the tour. Should he have sung that show? Eh, maybe, but Ronnie is the sort of guy who is going to do exactly what he wants, the way he wants. Which is probably why he wasn't able to be Sabbath for any long stretch in the first place.

[/ QUOTE ]

"Rainbow didn't make Dio initially famous, Sabbath did."

WTF? [img]/images/graemlins/what.gif[/img] Dude, pass me whatever you're smoking! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Dio's springboard to fame was EXACTLY as the ex-singer of Rainbow. That's how he GOT the Sabbath gig. In fact, Heaven and Hell is so Rainbow-influenced it's not even funny. At that point, if you were around then, Dio's addition actually boosted Sabbath's profile rather than vice versa. They were considered over because Ozzy was gone, wheras Dio, the former singer of Rainbow, was considered a vital new force in hard rock. He did help revive them, but they were more a commercial success than a major influence at that point.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this.

Comment

Stars..yes..the brainchild of Vivian Cambell...Hey I wish all MY faves were inducted into that rock hall of shame..but that won't be the case.. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

it's a mainstream place for mainstream music for mainstream people..I NEVER went there..I live five minutes away ..and I can go for free..there is nothing there for me ..I seen coller things at the Hard Rocks..like Eddies bowling shoes and Steve Vai's geetar..

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

No kidding, Mike. I couldn't make out half of that mess. What a retard! Posing as Mr Anti Music Biz. What a freakin' joke.

Do you guys remember their reunion tour? He had no problem hawking his shirts and shit to the young kids, did he?

"I am the anti-christ, please buy my merchandise." [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                      Tarbaby Fraser.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        No kidding, Mike. I couldn't make out half of that mess. What a retard! Posing as Mr Anti Music Biz. What a freakin' joke.

Do you guys remember their reunion tour? He had no problem hawking his shirts and shit to the young kids, did he?

"I am the anti-christ, please buy my merchandise." [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to metion making videos for MTV when he was in PIL.

He is a total hypocrite, but he is funny.

Mike

Comment

"I am the anti-christ, please buy my merchandise.""

I'll take a X-large please..oh what a lovely Pentagram!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

That Johnny Rotten is a peach! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

"Here is a funny one for you, Bill. On the east side of New Orleans, the Carolla family was the Mafia family. The Marcellos were mostly on the West Bank. My GF still gets little "special discounts" sometimes when an old timer at a store reads her name on her card. They just assume she is one of "those" Carollas and still honor the family.Mike"

Wow..Mike, that is old school..that is bringing back some memories..I grew up in Lil' Italy..now it's lil..ummm..melting pot. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I remember getting free Ice cream, free haircuts...but I got blamed by the nuns for every broken window tho..even if I didn't shoot it with my BB gun...well I didn't all the time..just sometimes. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              "Rainbow didn't make Dio initially famous, Sabbath did."

WTF? [img]/images/graemlins/what.gif[/img] Dude, pass me whatever you're smoking! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Dio's springboard to fame was EXACTLY as the ex-singer of Rainbow. That's how he GOT the Sabbath gig.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Dio version of Rainbow did well in Europe, but didn't get that much notice in the USA. I probably overstated things a bit when I wrote what I did, because you are right in that Rainbow was a springboard for Dio's later success. But the Sabbath gig was a real step up for Dio from playing theaters to playing arenas, and into gold and platinum album sales.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                                Here is a funny one for you, Bill. On the east side of New Orleans, the Carolla family was the Mafia family. The Marcellos were mostly on the West Bank. My GF still gets little "special discounts" sometimes when an old timer at a store reads her name on her card. They just assume she is one of "those" Carollas and still honor the family.

Mike

[/ QUOTE ]

Now because you told us that, you're gonna have to whack us! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                                X