lost "even more" respect for Black Sabbath , Ozzy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: lost \"even more respect for Black Sabbath and

It's really funny, since Ozzy was complaining some years back that Sabbath wasn't inducted into the Hall of Fame yet. He said if they ever do eventually get inducted, he and the rest of Sabbath would tell them to fuck off and wouldn't want to be involved! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      U2 is in there

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/sick.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/sick.gif[/img] How the hell did that happen. [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Who's next Banamarama? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
      Occupation: Department Director for the Department of Redundancy Department

Comment

I love Dio era Sabbath. H&H is a GREAT record.

But certainly Sabbath could get inducted based upon all the LPs up to the time Ozzy left.

THat being said, a CLASS move woould have been to thank all the guys who came along and did their parts to keep the name going post Ozzy and MORE IMPORTANTLY post Dio! They could have gone away never to be seen again after that.

PS - Rainbow was BRILLIANT and they need to be in the HOF too!
        Charvel: Model1, 2 & 5, Surfcaster 12
        Jackson: DK2, JRS-2, Kelly

Comment

What about Dehumanizer? That one is better than Heaven and Hell and Mob Rules
          http://www.myspace.com/chriswestfallguitar

Comment

I'm a big Dio-era Sabbath fan and think that Iommi, at least, should have name-checked Dio during the ceremony. Heaven & Hell had more impact on heavy metal than anything Ozzy-era Sabbath did after the first three albums--it's a hugely influential album and sold quite well. Unfortunately, Iommi has been quite willing in recent years to whitewash the fact that Sabbath didn't end at the same time that Ozzy's involvement did, given the bucks he's made off the reunion tours.

Comment

Sharon probably hired a bunch of Zakk's flunkies to throw eggs at anyone who mentioned Dio
              http://www.myspace.com/chriswestfallguitar

Comment

I thought just the Black Sabbaths originals going in was okay, it would have been nice to mention the other guys but, I don't think it was anything to get upset about, What I was a little curious about is the induction of people from other forms of music, nothing against Miles Davis, while Jazz and Blues may be the basis for rock and roll, it doesn't seem to me that this is correct place to honor his music. JMO
                I say the boy ain't right!

Comment

I listen to Heaven & Hell more than any other Sabbath album. It wouldn't hurt them to mention Ronnie.
                  Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Dio should have been mentioned atleast.

Matt

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      What I was a little curious about is the induction of people from other forms of music, nothing against Miles Davis, while Jazz and Blues may be the basis for rock and roll, it doesn't seem to me that this is correct place to honor his music. JMO

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you gotta pay respect for the elders. Lynryrd Skyrnd, who also got inducted this year, is all electrified blues. They had to get it from somewhere, whether it was a 60's group, who in turn got it from the 'fathers'.

Same situation as people like Satriani, Chicago, Santana and any other group that may be influenced by Jazz. When it comes to Miles, he wrote the book. They are the foundation and without the foundation, you don't have a first floor, second floor and so on.

I take a look at some of the bands who made it (Talking Heads) [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] and can't see how people like Miles, BB King, Wes Montgomery don't have a monument at these shows, so when one of these band gets inducted, they get filed under one of these guys. These guys (elders) are the 'folders' and everyone else are sub-folders.

Comment

You are correct Don, like I said Jazz and Blues are the basis for rock and roll, your point is well taken and I must admit that I gotta agree with you, after all isn't the whole point of a hall of fame to honor the history of Rock and Roll, [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]
                        I say the boy ain't right!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          You are correct Don, like I said Jazz and Blues are the basis for rock and roll, your point is well taken and I must admit that I gotta agree with you, after all isn't the whole point of a hall of fame to honor the history of Rock and Roll, [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Speaking of Jazz and blues, Sabbath was a Blues band at first and they were named Earth. I have an old video somewhere with them doing an Elvis cover Blue Suade Shoes. I wouldn't have belived it if I didn't see it with my own 2 eyes.

Matt

Comment

Heaven and hell as a good album..gillian era was terrible frankly and everything after dio was goddam awful....in fact there's even some ozzy stuff that i don't think is that great...tbh i think iommi is a very lifeless player..u see him on stage and he's real introverted doesn't realy interact with the crowd a huge a mount...i think there's far better bands tbh....but dio should have got credit - heaven and hell was the last good sabbath album he did good work on that...

Comment

I think sometimes its hard to think of these guys and their influence, cause it was so long ago. I think there's only a few here who remember some of these guys and their inputs.

A good analogy is the interest thats shown about Randy or Eddie here on this sight. It was over 20 years ago that these guys were an influence. We all still remember, cause though its 20 years ago, its still close enough.

But in 30 years from now, kids in 2036 aren't gonna give a shit about Randy or Eddie. "Who are they" [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] It's up to the people here or anyone who was influenced by those two, to 'carry it on'. So when my grandson grows up, I'll sit him down, tell him to listen to this ( Peter Frampton, my influence) and he'll probably say to me "What is that shit!", in which I'll reply by knocking him off the chair on his ass.

I think the R&R Hall of Fame is all about that, remembering those in the past that made a difference,..even if it was the loooooooooooooooong ago. Randy and Eddie will be in that category soon, as will we all. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

PS - Don't say anything about Peter Frampton [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

You Dio guys have to remember some things here. Black Sabbath Oz, Toni, Geezer, and Bill where the originators of the music we call Heavy Metal. The first few records with these guys are the reason Black Sabbath is what it is. These four guys ARE Black Sabbath.
                                The HoF induction is also about inovation and creating a following based apon creating your own musical mark. Oz was in Sabbath when the only Metal band was Sabbath. These for original members are the ones responsible for the creation of what Sabbath became. Dio did a fine job of keeping it going but he didn't originate anything in Sabbath. Ozzy planted the garden and Dio cut the grass and trimed the bushes in Sabbath.
                                It would have been nice for Toni to thank the musicians who have helped Sab over the years but that night was about Black Sabbath version1.
                                Dio I think has his own thing with Rainbow and his own solo stuff. That should be what gets Dio in there. I don't think even R.J.Dio would agree to riding into the HoF on someone elses coat tails.
                                The Huge popularity of Sabbath and Ozzy solo have had a much greater influence on music and "metal culture". Everybody knows who Ozzy Osbourne is. Id say 90% of non-metal folks you ask won't know who Dio is.
                                The reason that Sharon was thanked is one; she's Ozzy's wife, everybody thanks family. Also Sharon has been instrumental in the resurgance of Sabbath negotiation deals and putting together tours. So thanks Sharon for that!
                                Also notice that Oz didn't say anything about any of the fantastic people he's been with over the years. Again the night was about Sabbath and Sabbath for most of us in OZZY Toni Geezer and Mr.Bill.

Comment

Working...
                                X