Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: lost \"even more respect for Black Sabbath and

[ QUOTE ]
    Oh man, I am doomed! Have you seen Ronnie lately!!

[/ QUOTE ]
    oh sure, man. But think how good your pipes will sound in your 60s!! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
    Hail yesterday

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      [ QUOTE ]
      AC/DC would be a rare exception to the fact about replacements not having equal status since Bon Scott practically hand-picked Brian Johnson to replace him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point. I'd hate to think that Bruce Dickinson might rate a mention when Paul D'ianno & the boys in Iron Maiden get inducted [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Or Marty Friedman, the replacement guitarist in Megadeth. Or Joey Belladonna, that second singer in Anthrax. Or Jason Newsted, that other bassist in Metallica. Or Doug Wimbish, the replacement bassist in Living Colour. Or Ron Wood, the dude that came in after the other guitarist died. Or Dave Gilmour, that johnny-come-lately in Pink Floyd. Or Stevie Nicks & Lindsey Buckingham, who made Fleetwood Mac sellout. Or Jimmy Page, who replaced replacement guitarist Jeff Beck in the Yardbirds.

So I hear what you're saying. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I did say that Brian Johnson would be a rare exception, not the rare exception.

However, let me see if I can recall my Music History:
      Dickinson, Friedman, Belladonna, Page, and Newstead were covered previously, so let's jump straight to the others:

Wimbish in Living Colour - he was already a "known" entity prior to coming into LC, among players, anyway. IIRC, the original bassist was Muzz Skillings? Or was he the drummer? Anyhoo, I don't recall LC getting too much bizness over here in the States back in the day, aside from guitarists. They could have been Vernon Reid And Whoever's With Him This Week and it would not have mattered.

Ron Wood - While I'm not too sure of the exact dates or amount of time between Mick Ronson's death and Ron Wood's entrance, and what if any effect it had on the Stones' career at the time, it seems to only be remembered by guitarists, as the Mainstream Buying Public who make these people billionaires didn't seem to notice a difference. It wasn't taken quite as seriously as say, Jerry Garcia being replaced by Joe Jackson [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] The Stones have always been about Mick and Keef.

Gilmour - What exactly did Sid Barrett appear on, and how big were PF before and after? PF is one of those bands like RUSH that I just love to hear but not enough to gather the whole catalog.

Stevie and Lindsay - I kow Peter Green is revered among guitarists, but frankly I've not heard one track (that I'm aware of) from Fleetwood Mac prior to that (unless you count Priest's cover of Green Manalishi).

As for Dio in Sabbath, like was said earlier: go ask 5 random people to name 3 Sabbath songs and you might get 1 Dio-era song. The rest will be all Ozzy.
      I fail to see (or hear) how Mob Rules and Heaven and Hell were influential to anything but a handful of fans compared to the Ozzy-era catalog. Influencing 10% of the total Sabbath Fan population is not considered a mentionable influence.
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Great post, Newc! The only inaccuracy is that Brian Jones was the Stones guitarist who died, and after he'd quit the group. Mick Taylor was the replacement for him, who Ron Wood in turn replaced after Taylor also quit.

Mick Ronson was David Bowie's guitarist in the spiders From Mars era. He died pretty recently, last year or 2 I think.
        Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Well, Brian Jones didn't really "quit", he was actually forced out of the band by Mick and Keith..more Mick than Keith. Also, he was probably murdered.

Its too bad that Mick Taylor didn't stick around, because he can play....unlike Woodie.

And Bill, yes, I look like a Dago...more so than my GF, who is actually Italian.

Actually, I am the master "blender". I should have learned 10 languages and gone on to do wetwork for the CIA. Wherever I go, and people are swarthy, they think I am one of them!! I have been asked if I am Italian, Greek, Iraqi, Israeli, Cuban, etc. Its pretty funny...I am completely Eastern European. Russian, Latvian, Czech and Romanian.

Mike

Mike
          Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

Well, Eastern Europe had the swarthy infusion from the Mongols and from the mixture of peoples trading on the Black Sea. No telling in particular what Romanian really means!

As for Brian Jones, I didn't know he was forced out, or probably murdered. Main point was that Mick Ronson was not in the Rolling Stones. I'm with you on Mick Taylor, he was good - maybe too good, from Keef's perspective. Anyway, he got tired of it, and Wood's certainly good enough for the Stones. No virtuosity needed for that kind of rock and roll, it'd get in the way actually.
            Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              Gilmour - What exactly did Sid Barrett appear on, and how big were PF before and after? PF is one of those bands like RUSH that I just love to hear but not enough to gather the whole catalog.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sid Barret was on the very first PF album...the one "Astronomy Domine" was from. He OD'd shortly thereafter.
              [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sid Barret was on the very first PF album...the one "Astronomy Domine" was from. He OD'd shortly thereafter.

[/ QUOTE ]
                There was
                Piper at the Gates of Dawn 67
                Saucerful of Secrets 68
                Relics 71
                To me this was their best stuff. He left the band when he started having psychotic breaks. Most feel that he's schizophrenic, although the drugs certainly didn't help his condition
                http://www.myspace.com/chriswestfallguitar

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
                  When did Syd Barrett OD? He went a little nuts from all the acid, put out a couple solo albums and disappeared into obscurity. He's still alive, as far as I know.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

"Well, Eastern Europe had the swarthy infusion from the Mongols "

Yes that's right rich..I am an Italian "mangoloid".. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Yes Mike ..I too can pass for many races via ...disgiuses, such as a towel and sheet, a yamakah(sp), a dot on my forehead , afro and shoe polish ..

We should be both CIA or join Team America.."Derka derka derka mohammed jihad derka derka"..I KNOW the language!!!..

Derka derka derka!! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
                    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      [ QUOTE ]
                      [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
                      When did Syd Barrett OD? He went a little nuts from all the acid, put out a couple solo albums and disappeared into obscurity. He's still alive, as far as I know.

[/ QUOTE ]
                      He is still alive like living at his mom's house painting or something
                      Chris
                      http://www.myspace.com/chriswestfallguitar

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        "Well, Eastern Europe had the swarthy infusion from the Mongols "

Yes that's right rich..I am an Italian "mangoloid".. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Yes Mike ..I too can pass for many races via ...disgiuses, such as a towel and sheet, a yamakah(sp), a dot on my forehead , afro and shoe polish ..

We should be both CIA or join Team America.."Derka derka derka mohammed jihad derka derka"..I KNOW the language!!!..

Derka derka derka!! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Through college, my favorite halloween costume was the Arab terrorist. I had a real kafeia that I bought in Jarusalem (Khaddafi tablecloth style) and I would let my beard grow for about 3 days..and wear Desert Fatigues. I was a dead fucking ringer...Derka, Derka!!!

I wouldn't try that costume in a million years today. I would end up dead, or worse...in the hands of "Homeland Security". [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Derka, Derka...Jihad, Derka!!

MIke
                        Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

"I wouldn't try that costume in a million years today. I would end up dead, or worse...in the hands of "Homeland Security"."

I bet my sack..you'll get pulled aside and frisked in every nook and cranny ..lookin' like that!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

When we flew to Washington for my brother-in-law's interment in Arlington National Cemetary, all was fine on the outward trip, but we got run through security on the way
                            back. We are all pretty whitebread, though my older sis shows our Greek heritage with brown eyes and her daughter is part Indian on her dad's side so she has an exotic look.
                            Anyway, afterwards we found out that because we had changed our plans to fly a day later, they check out everyone who changes their plans shortly before flying. Actually, it makes sense, and was a minimal PITA, so I'm happy they're doing something.

Really though, they should check everyone as they enter the airport. We think about them doing something ON the planes,
                            but terrorists could fuck up the airport itself and kill many thousands. I'm sure we'll start doing entry checks AFTER they pull that stunt once.
                            Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              Great post, Newc! The only inaccuracy is that Brian Jones was the Stones guitarist who died, and after he'd quit the group. Mick Taylor was the replacement for him, who Ron Wood in turn replaced after Taylor also quit.

Mick Ronson was David Bowie's guitarist in the spiders From Mars era. He died pretty recently, last year or 2 I think.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the correction - like I said I'm not "up" on Stones history as far as who came and went, but I do know it's always been about Jagger and Richards.
                              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
                              X