Car experts - Brakes question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car experts - Brakes question

My dad has a '96 Jetta with 42,000 miles (he hardly drives it) and is having problems with the brakes. They work fine, but always make a squeeling "metal to metal" type sound. The noise comes and goes. He already had the pads replaced a couple of times, and the rotors are brand new.

I remember when I owned the car before him a few years ago, I had a similar issue and since it was still under warranty, I took it to the dealer and I don't know if they sprayed something in there or adjusted the calipers or what, but the noise went away for over a year.

He took it to the dealer where he lives now (Portugal) and they can't find anything wrong and everything is adjusted correctly. He said the dealer told him it's normal and to live with it, but it still doesn't seem right. Is there anything he can check?

Thanks!

Re: Car experts - Brakes question

It sounds like the low pad feelers are touching the brake rotors for some reason. This usually doesent happen unles the pad is worn down, but I have had it happen once or twice. It can be slightly bent out with a screwdriver.
    Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Ask Cleve John...he da man! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

If the pads have plenty of meat on them it is probably chatter from the pads stick-slipping. Try putting some 'anti-squeal' compound on the back of the pads and reinstalling.

Comment

put a piece of gum on it..
          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

alot of brake pads are made with harder materials. I believe they put some kind of metal in them, and they are supposed to last a lot longer, but you have to deal with squealing. My car does this and the brakes are pretty new, and my mothers car has had these new type of brake pads and you just gotta live with the noise.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              If the pads have plenty of meat on them it is probably chatter from the pads stick-slipping. Try putting some 'anti-squeal' compound on the back of the pads and reinstalling.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this. Last time I changed the brakes on my truck I forgot to put the compound on and they made a lot of noise. When I took them back out an added the compound they were completely silent and still are.

Comment

Buy some of THIS
                Then pull the pads off and apply as directed.
                This is common on all disc brakes to make this noise when they are not installed with a pad lubricant.
                semi-metallic pads are the worst for this kind of noise.
                -Rick

Comment

The anti-squeal compound fixes this problem most of the time. Sometimes, brake dust causes this. If its brake dust, just get a can of brake parts cleaner and hose down the pads and calipers.-Lou
                  " I do not pay women for sex. I pay for them to leave after the sex ". -Wise words of Charlie Sheen

Comment

Thanks guys!!

Comment

It's possible that there may be another issue here.

A lot of times when people use aftermarket brake pads, they do not come with a shim (that metal plate that goes between the caliper and the brakepad, which is designed to reduce noise). These brakepads are designed to be used without the shim.

A lot of people make the mistake of re-using the OEM shim with the aftermarket brake pads. This can result in the shim slipping, and grinding against the hub on the rotor.

Although, if someone inspected your brakes, it would have been fairly obvious that this was the problem (assuming that they actually know what they were doing, lol).

-a

Comment

Working...
                      X