GUITAR OVERLOAD!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GUITAR OVERLOAD!

SWEET JESUS!! It's hard work trying to be both the best guitar player AND guitar tech that I can be. My whole life consists of either playing or fixing guitars. It seems that my time is almost completely spent either repairing guitars here at work, writing new music on my own, or jamming with my band.

Yesterday I worked here at the shop for 8 hours, then went to my bass player Ben's house to work on new songs with the metronome for a few hours BEFORE we had band practice with Alex and Kai. After a few hours of that, we went back to Ben's house to practice some MORE with the metronome until about 6am. Then after a few brief hours of crappy sleep, I rolled off his couch, got in my car, and came straight here to work... These seem to be pretty typical weekdays for me. The upside is that I/we are getting pretty damn good at what we do. The downside is that I am losing my mind and all my old friends, who I never seem to have time for anymore. To live one's dreams... [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

GRIND ON!
    -Ace

Re: GUITAR OVERLOAD!

Betta then digging ditches [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img].........Dedication...........!

Comment

fuckin A man keep after it.

I'm stuck in the corporate thing and I envy you. [img]/images/graemlins/band.gif[/img]
      the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

+1^

you rock, ace.

Comment

Ace, just be careful not burn out.
          Doing what your doing without the proper attitude and perspective can cause you to view things the wrong way and burn out. Yes, when you can...your gonna need quality sleep and to reward yourself occassionally. Ones body can only run on empty for so long bro. Get some good rest when and as often as you can. Good rest does a body good.

Bro, I'd love to have a business where I good sell and repair guitars for a living. I'd love that. Its the dialy band thing, I couldn't do it. My mind would eventually go numb or overload. I use to gig and love it when I did.
          The older I got it lost its luster and was jus way too expensive . I spend alot of time and money gigging. I got burned out gigging.

I remember watching a music movie awhile back and I kinda saw some of myself in it. Not talking about Rock Star.
          It had the lady who was sort of a house hold Hollywood actress name in the late 80 - mid 90's. Anyway the name of the movie and her name leaves at the moment unfortunately.
          But she had this band and her character was portrayed as an older lady still trying to make it big. To make a long story short. She had to eventually learn and choose between accepting that she was never gonna make big and to continue to do what she really loved, gigging. Good movie btw, worth a watch.

Myself, I didn't see the point gigging on a local level. I loved playing guitar but I was getting too old for that type of committment and wasn't enjoying it much. I still occassionally see some of the other band memembers. They ask me to jamn with them, I don't even do that anymore much.
          I just keep all here in the home.
          Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

take time out or it might feel like a chore

Comment

I admire your dedication, not many people can do that. As long as you're sane, keep at it -- that's what it takes to "make it." But do get some rest once in a while.

Comment

Well, the job's necessary to feed and house yourself. Just tell the band you're a bit burnt and get some rest. Knowing you, in a week's time you'll be bouncing off the walls wanting to play again. It will be good for everyone in the band to know they can speak up when THEY are getting burnt, and keep things healthy. Lots of bands disintegrate because no one communicates their stress until they snap.
                Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Uh, when do you shower? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
                  "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Thanks for the kind words and advice guys! Don't worry, I'm nowhere NEAR giving up on either the band or the shop. I am more excited about both than I ever have been. My hard work is slowly starting to pay off. I am just whinning really. I made it through 4 years in the USMC Infantry, so I have a pretty darn big battery when it comes to burning out. I can carry a 75 lb pack 25 miles. I can go for days without sleep. I am just getting a bit older and starting to bitch a bit. That's all!!

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      Uh, when do you shower? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
                      When you're at work! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

So, never!
                        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

So now you're turning into a Civilian? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

But yeah, like the others said, if it starts to become "work", it's gonna suck. That's how it became for me in my old band. I wasn't having fun anymore, and if you're not happy doing what you're doing, stop and do something else. I still miss the gigs, but I don't miss trying to convince the singer and bassist that "we" (as in "the band") need to focus on being "out there" rather than "hometown heroes".
                          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
                          X