What should I build next?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What should I build next?

I'm just waiting for my pickguard to come in to finish my Strat. That will give me 2 mutts (the other one I did not build). I'm already thinking about my next mutt to slap together. I know I want a raw or oiled mahogany H/H body with a strat style fixed bridge. But I can't decide what body shape to go with. The Strat is pretty classic for a hot rodded mutt. But I'm thinking a Tele might be cool. If I go with a Tele shape, would it be considered blasphemy to put a Strat head on it? I'm not so sure I like the look of a true Tele headstock. Of course I could always put a pointy on it. [img]/images/graemlins/idea2.gif[/img]

What do you guys think? Strat head, pointy or other?

Re: What should I build next?

Firebird with small Strathead. I'd like to see that.
    Henrik
    AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

If you already have 2 strat mutts, definitely go tele! I like the tele headstock, but imho for some reason a pointy (regular or reversed) looks good on a tele too.

undecided about a strat head on a tele...maybe if i saw pics...
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Comment

<font color="aqua">how about a larger guitar stand? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] </font>
        Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Travis loves guitars..how many ya got man!!

I got five nice Geetars..four I hardly play..I love 'em, they are family! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Here's what I would LOVE..I want a vintage white strat with maple..like I have but with a large reversed headstock and floyd....but a 7 string!!

I would also like a white RR like the oringinal Rhoads with a floyd..but a 7 string!!

other than that I am pretty content..

pssssst..get that 5150 outta the closet..it's not gay!! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

"Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Thanks guys. I know you kid because you care. And Dave, expect to be called upon for some parts.

I think I've decided on the mahogany Tele. Now I just need to decide if I want to go with a maple/maple Strat head or pointy, or a maple/rosewood Strat head or pointy.

Comment

"or a maple/rosewood Strat head"

I think THAT would look nice with a Mahagony Tele body.. IMO!!

Unless you paint it Butterscotch ..white or vintage white..then go with the maple!

Just thinkin'

Good luck

Bill

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                If I go with a Tele shape, would it be considered blasphemy to put a Strat head on it?

[/ QUOTE ]
                I've always liked the look of a Tele with a Strat headstock.
                http://www.fender.com/products/searc...tno=0137702306
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

maple/maple pointy. With WHITE BINDINGS... on body too.
                  Henrik

Comment

hmmmm black with maple looks good too..do whatever appeals to YOU most!! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

I need a floyd and a humbuck in the bridge tho...for me that is.

Comment

"maple/maple pointy. With WHITE BINDINGS... on body too."

sounds interesting..I'd have to see a pic..the strat/tele is a "safe" bet..to most I would assume.

Comment

I'm definitely going to have an unfinished mahogany body, maybe tung oil. So, are we down to a Strat head with a rosewood board or maple?

Comment

Hey look, here's (almost) a 2 hum:

Henrik

Comment

Maple one piece (flame or birdseye would be cool as well) is a classic combination. But if you want something unique but still cool with a classy vibe a Mahogany neck with a nice rosewood board (brazilian maybe?). The one problem I have with Mahogany necks (from Warmoth anyways, maybe go with musikraft?) is that they require a finish to be assured of stability. Not to say you have to have them finished but to be safe, its best. Also if you go with musikraft they tend to get a little closer to the charvel neck from what I hear. Thats just my two cents, but an all mahogany tele would be pretty badass I think.

I have to say what about an explorer or Firebird? Tele's are cool though. And depending on where you get it from you can get a hollowed body too. Lots of options with parts mutts, its really about how much you want to spend and how much time you want to invest in it.

Hey travis that one you are finishing up now, did you use my neck on that one? Be sure to post some pictures when its done, I'd love to see what you did with that neck, it was a nice one.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              Hey travis that one you are finishing up now, did you use my neck on that one? Be sure to post some pictures when its done, I'd love to see what you did with that neck, it was a nice one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that's the neck I got from you. I still haven't got around to getting black tuners for it. So it will probably be assembled with the gold ones on there. That's have to do until I get off my lazy ass and get some black ones to match the hardware. If the Post Office finds the pickguard they lost this weekend, then I should be able to get it assembled later this week.

Comment

Working...
                              X