Blast beat cookie monster vocals.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blast beat cookie monster vocals.

Maybe I'm getting old, or maybe I just have better taste, but I find I can't listen to any of that stuff anymore. I was listening to an internet heavy metal radio station, and they played a couple of tunes that were just that, blast beats and cookie monster vocals, and to be quite brutally honest, they sucked in the most suckiest way anything has ever sucked. No redeeming qualities whatsoever.
    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

I'm with ya bro. I am currently listening to Virgin Killers. Before that I was listening to Uli Jon Roth and next up is Frank Gambale.
    I mixed in a little Reb Beach in there too.
    I don't get the whole cookie monster vocal thing. I'm old too. I'm not saying it sucks. I am just saying it ain't my cup of tea.

Comment

The blast-beats are from the 50's when jazz plyaers used them as fills between verses and choruses

Cookie Monster vocals go way back when people hunted mammoths and dinosaur's. It was a pretty typical singing style in the Neondertal's Opera.

I guess metal is all about being old.
      Last edited by Endrik; 03-30-2006, 08:34 AM.
      "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

There is good and bad in all genres of metal..there is horrible power metal and there is horrible death metal..

I'd much rather listen to a GREAT death metal band than a horrible power metal..and visa versa..

I can't lump all death metal bands together..that wouldn't be fair..

Bash beats and death vox CAN be used very tastilyy..just like anything else ..it should be used for dynamics..

Coroner got me into HIGH calibre Death metal!!!!

Whenever you these generic death/grind bands and albums.. with one beat thru the entire album and one vocal style with ZERO dynamics..that sure makes for one boring listen...the whole album/set sounds like one long, noisy tune..that's just fucking silly IMO !

BTW..Speaking of Uli Roth....I'm taking my wife to see him on May 13th at a VERY small club..so I'm sure we'll get to meet him...awesome!
        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I'm listening to Southbound by the Allman Brothers right now, if that says anything.

I still very much enjoy Death, Entombed, Carcass etc, but they have talent.
          Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Originally posted by zeegler
            Maybe I'm getting old, or maybe I just have better taste, but I find I can't listen to any of that stuff anymore. I was listening to an internet heavy metal radio station, and they played a couple of tunes that were just that, blast beats and cookie monster vocals, and to be quite brutally honest, they sucked in the most suckiest way anything has ever sucked. No redeeming qualities whatsoever.
            Better taste? Who appointed you the be all end all music critic?! That is a bit egotistical don't you think? Different taste maybe, but beauty is in the eye (or ear in this case) of the beholder. It takes all kinds... variety is the spice of life man! I am a metal connoisseur of sorts myself... been listening to it since Iron Maiden's Piece Of Mind album changed my young life some 23 years ago! I can enjoy all different genres of metal and other types of music too. I agree with Horns in that there is good (well played and constructed) and bad (poorly played and constructed) music out there in any genre of music not just in metal... Simply having blast beats and cookie monster vocals does not make something suck in and of itself... It is a matter of opinion...

Comment

well, yeah I agree..I LOVE talent and polished pieces of work showcasing that talent!!

I agree with you tho Zeegs..Blast beats and growling just for the sake of growling is just fucking GAY..it's meaningless bullshit!

There is more bad death metal bands than good....that's for certain!!!!

I can do without most of that B-grade garage calibre bullcrap ...I hate that shit, but that goes for all music in genral.
              Last edited by horns666; 03-30-2006, 10:04 AM.

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Well Darken I am the JCF Metal guru here..not self appointed..just a fact of life!

Well, other than the fact that you did make a valid point..I don't like your tone....ease up. People have the right to state their dislikes or likes.

Taste and music is subjective..certainly

Be nice.. : P

Bill Z Bub
                Last edited by horns666; 03-30-2006, 10:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Darken
                  Better taste? Who appointed you the be all end all music critic?! That is a bit egotistical don't you think? Different taste maybe, but beauty is in the eye (or ear in this case) of the beholder. It takes all kinds... variety is the spice of life man! I am a metal connoisseur of sorts myself... been listening to it since Iron Maiden's Piece Of Mind album changed my young life some 23 years ago! I can enjoy all different genres of metal and other types of music too. I agree with Horns in that there is good (well played and constructed) and bad (poorly played and constructed) music out there in any genre of music not just in metal... Simply having blast beats and cookie monster vocals does not make something suck in and of itself... It is a matter of opinion...

Lighten up bro. Your last sentence is correct. It is a matter of opinion. Thats his. The above is yours. Mine is...well.. mine.
                  Iron Maiden's Piece of Mind changed alot of lives. For me.. it was a combination of 25 or 6 to 4, Ace Frehely and Uli Jon Roth. Ace convinced me to pick up the guitar. Uli convinced me to wear it out.
                  I'm still wearing it out. Since Lonesome Crow and Virgin Killers.
                  Probably the single biggest song that influenced me is
                  Scorpions---Pictured Life.

Comment

John ..Uli.. the wife and I is seeing him on May 13th!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by horns666
                      Well Darken I am the JCF Metal guru here..not self appointed..it's just a fact of life!
                      Well, I didn't say that I was the new JCF metal guru now did I? Just that I am a connoisseur... which I am... 23 years of experience entitles me to that, I don't need to be self appointed of anything... that's just a fact of life!

Taste and music is subjective..certainly
                      Well that was my point... Sorry for the tone, didn't mean to step on any toes... It was kind of written tongue in cheek but you are right Horns it came across as a bit negative and snappy... sorry for that Zeegler!

Comment

John ..Uli.. the wife and I is seeing him on May 13th!!!!

Bill, that would be so cool it you could meet him. If you do, try to get him to sign an autograph for me.

To John...(insert Uli-ism here)

Your pal...Uli Jon Roth

I COULD THEN SAY MY MUSICAL LIFE IS COMPLETE.

Comment

Darken, that's all..it's cool.

But I was appointed..: P

Comment

Originally posted by Darken
                            Well, I didn't say that I was the new JCF metal guru now did I? Just that I am a connoisseur... which I am... 23 years of experience entitles me to that, I don't need to be self appointed of anything... that's just a fact of life!

Well that was my point... Sorry for the tone, didn't mean to step on any toes... It was kind of written tongue in cheek but you are right Horns it came across as a bit negative and snappy... sorry for that Zeegler!
                            No sweat bro... but FYI... Horns666 (Bill) is absolutely the JCF Metal Guru. He knows more metal than anybody I have ever known.
                            He is a living encyclopedia of all that is METAL.

Comment

You got it John..I'll do that..I know you love him as much as I do!!

My wife's favorite player in the world..I'm sure we will meet him..it's a very small club.

The guy putting that show together owns Auburn records..Breaker will be opening..and I am an Attaxe member (label mates)..hehee..

Comment

Working...
                              X