Six years old...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Six years old...

The following is a summary of a conversation that I had this evening with my six year old son. I actually had a couple of hours to mess around tonight and I was playing guitar and watching a Radiohead concert DVD(guilty pleasure...I love Jonny Greenwoods playing). My son came home from his friends house, sat down, and started watching it with me. As we watched, he looked around at the pictures on the wall and started asking questions.

(son)"Dad, who's that in that picture?"
    (me) "That's Darrell Abbott, he made music that a lot of people like"
    (son)"Who does he play for?"
    (me) "Well, after he played with Pantera, he started another band with his brother, but some man who was sick in the head killed him one night".
    (son) "Who is that guy?"
    (me )"That's Randy Rhoads, he played with Ozzy Osbourne and was a really talented player".
    (son)"Who does he play for now?"
    (me)"Um...he died in a plane crash when he was a little older than your big sister is now".
    (son)"Oh,....well, then who is that guy kissing his guitar?"
    (me)"That's Jason Becker. He is a really talented musician. I'll have to show you a video of him playing guitar and using a yo-yo at the same time".
    (son)"What band is he in?"
    (me)"Well, he's not in a band right now, I think he still writes music though. He has ALS which makes him unable to move much at all."
    (son)"That's sad. I wouldn't like it if I couldn't move. Who is that guy?"
    (me)That's Joe Perry(whew!)He's very much alive and plays a mean guitar. He's made lots of music over the years that a lot of people like."
    (son)"Well then who are those guys?"
    (me)"That's a band called Corrosion Of Conformity. Killer band, all still kicking(as far as I know)and make some pretty cool music."
    This went on through Kurt Cobain, Slayer, KingsX and others.
    After I put him to bed, I started thinking. What must he think of these guys?? These are the same artists that I exposed my older son to, and he jumped head on into guitar and seems to be in it for life now. Will lightning strike twice? I wonder if my six year old will draw any inspiration from these guitarists, or will it be from some newer players. Or older players...or any at all for that matter. I thought about a lot of other stuff that I wondered how a six year old looks at these days too. Just some food for thought.

And don't worry folks, he is exposed to much more positive stuff. My music room just reflects my interests. We've had lots of fun in there. This was the first time he really started to ask about the pics on the wall though.
    Last edited by Flametop; 03-31-2006, 11:13 PM.
    The Buzzard does not fear
    The man in riot gear
    Harvest a skull of stone
    The Buzzard grows his own...

that is very cool. i have kids also 11 and 6 both girls and are very into music and guitar playing, and i have no prob with showing them and teaching them music, also they are open and like all kinds of music. i explained to them that its good to be open to all styles of music, i also said dont just liek a song for its words listen to who the whole band plays etc... team work..

so thats is cool that yoru son has asked.. plus music is a good thing for kids good way to express your self ...

Comment

I sometimes feel weird when talking about guitar players with my girlfriend and half of them are dead or otherwise incapacitated like Becker or EVH

Comment

It almost seems seeing all these guitarist that have met with such horrible fates might actually cause a negative response to idea of becoming a guitarist. The notion of winding up like Randy and Dime, or Jason, is bad enough, but worse yet you could end up ugly like Joe Perry
        I say the boy ain't right!

Comment

Being a rock guitarist is the number 2 most dangerous profession next to crab fishing.

Sometimes it seems that way. The list of dead guitar players is insane.

Jimi Hendrix
          Stevie Ray Vaughan
          Criss Oliva
          Randy Rhoads
          Dimebag
          Robbin Crosby
          Brian Jones
          Chuck Schuldiner
          Tommy Bolin
          Steve Clark
          Kurt Cobain
          Jerry Garcia
          John Lennon
          Bob Marley
          Hillel Slovak
          Frank Zappa

Have I missed many?
          Last edited by zeegler; 04-01-2006, 01:29 PM.
          Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Michael Bloomfield
            Eddie Cochran
            Steve Gaines
            Danny Gatton
            Rory Gallagher
            George Harrison
            Buddy Holly
            Ritchie Valens
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Comment

Cliff Burton, man
              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Are we counting 4 stringers?
                Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Said guitarist. I was just reading a memorial article about Cliff.
                  "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Hey Flame, I think you're missing something....if your first kid is so into music, which I know from talking with you several times that he is, he probably drew the most inspiration from a dude you overlooked and who is not on the wall in the music room....you!!

Comment

Originally posted by Boxcar Willie 84
                      Hey Flame, I think you're missing something....if your first kid is so into music, which I know from talking with you several times that he is, he probably drew the most inspiration from a dude you overlooked and who is not on the wall in the music room....you!!
                      1++

Comment

Just remember the 3 M's of life

Music

Money

and

MOTHER FUCKING JOE PERRY
                        I've fallen, Fallen through. If I'm Not With you, All I wanna Do Is Feel blue

Comment

Originally posted by Drsracing

Music

Money

and

MOTHER FUCKING JOE PERRY

The Buzzard does not fear
                          The man in riot gear
                          Harvest a skull of stone
                          The Buzzard grows his own...

Comment

Add Derek Frigo, Lenny Breau and Shawn Lane to the list of the fallen.

Comment

Originally posted by Drsracing

Music

Money

and

MOTHER FUCKING JOE PERRY
                              Yeah, I was just taking a shot at him, I am a HUGE Aerosmith fan and Joe Perry is one hell of a guitarist.
                              I say the boy ain't right!

Comment

Working...
                              X