Help needed! PayPal concern

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help needed! PayPal concern

Guys, I have no experience in recieving payments via Paypal, and want to check something.

I understand that if a buyer has used a credit card registered to their Paypal account to pay for an item, if they're not happy with a purchase and the seller won't refund, a buyer can do a chargeback through the credit card.

My concern is this: If someone buys from me (a transaction outside of ebay), pays by a Credit Card on paypal and recieves the goods - what happens to me / the money if they try to rip me off and do a chargeback?

Can any paypal account receive CC funded transactions?

Thanks
    Popular is not the same as good
    Rare is not the same as valuable
    Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

No, you need a premier or buzsiness account to accept CC payments. "Standard" private accounts can only accept funds "from balance"....

You´ll get an email offering to upgrade if someone tries to pay with a cc.. at least I did

Comment

Transfer the money from your paypal account into a checking account, then cash out the checking account. Duh

Re: Zerb's comments, you'll also get to pay a 3% paypal fee as well with all transactions. Enjoy!

Comment

I believe any Paypal account can receive CC funds, but they're always changing things, so check that out at Paypal.

They can indeed charge back their card if Paypal doesn't go their way in a dispute. All they have to do is sign up again with a different email addy and they're back on Paypal too. If your bank account is linked to your Paypal account, they can take funds out of that too. Many people have a separate bank account for Paypal linkage only, and keep low to no balance, for that reason.

I would get the funds IN HAND, not just in an account, before shipping, to make sure he can't just get the item and take his money back. I have a Paypal ATM.debit card for that purpose. Costs me $3 to get the dough but I don't have to wait for the money.
        Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Per my credit card company, the charge back will only occur when the card holder has proven they have shipped the item back to the seller. The buyer can not do a charge back and keep the item.

Comment

Thanks for all that guys,and like many of you, my Paypal account is linked to a seperate bank account for my internet dealings.

If I can even accept CC payments that way, I was intending to move the money straight out of that account, into my main account (same bank, not tied to paypal so I'd get an instant transfer).

Having said all that, what happens if I move the funds to the other bank account, then the buyer's CC take the money off Paypal - Paypal won't just take that loss.....
            Popular is not the same as good
            Rare is not the same as valuable
            Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

PayPal will close your account.

When I accept large CC payments through PayPal, I tell them I won't ship until the funds have cleared to my bank account, then I withdraw or move the money into a different account. It's the only way to be safe, IMO.
              The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

dude, I'm not understanding your concern very well.

If you are concerned about someone taking money back out of your acct because they filed a complaint with paypal after they paid or a buyer has proceeded to do a chargeback.. either way from my understanding of it.. the companies (Paypal, CC company) involved are going to contact you to confirm proof of shipment.

Even if it is not an eBay dealing, you as a seller should still be protected.
                Paypal is not going to arbitrarily do a chargeback and take money out of your account until contacting you..at which point you have a certain timeframe to respond to the complaint process..I believe a week to reply and the process may take up to 30 days before a refund is issued.

If you're concerned about someone doing a chargeback and having Paypal reach into your acct and give money back w/o justification or investigation.. I wouldn't.

You must have a premier or business acct to complete a CC transaction. Someone can send funds via CC to a personal acct.. but the Paypal trap is you must upgrade and take it in the ass on fee's from that point on by upgrading to a premeir/business acct. You may step down to a personal acct again if you do upgrade to receive a CC transaction (which you are only allowed to do once)

As far as I know..(and it's been awhile since I set up another acct) a paypal acct can be setup with any verified email, but you need a checking acct or a credit card to do anything with it.

I personally have one acct setup as a premier and another setup as a personal, but you either need two checking accts or a checking to one and a separate savings acct with a differing number to the other. Basically for each paypal acct, you'll need a separate bank acct for each as well.

I also have an ATM card for my premier acct.. that way I do not have to wait for days for a funds transfer to my bank acct. Sure I pay a little more.. that is the way that it is if I want the money right away.
                Last edited by charvelguy; 04-02-2006, 01:33 PM.

Comment

Switch to a business account & you can accept any type of payment, as for chargebacks just make sure you use conformation/tracking when you ship to prove the buyer received it. As for getting you money instant, sign up for the paypal debit card (no charge) & you can go to any bank w/withdraw machine & get your money instantly instead of waiting til you get the money in your bank account. Can also buy online what ever you want as long as you can cover in your paypal balance. I have two debit cards for every paypal account I have.......

Last edited by SGplayer; 04-02-2006, 03:38 PM.

Comment

Make sure you set your PayPal up require a verfied address and ship only to that address. If the total is over $250 you need a singed delivery confirmation. That will cover you against chargeback of items not received. As far as a chargeback for goods not as described, they have to ship the item back to you and you have to accept it. I am not sure what happens if if you refuse it.

Matt

Comment

Originally posted by charvelguy
                      dude, I'm not understanding your concern very well.

If you are concerned about someone taking money back out of your acct because they filed a complaint with paypal after they paid or a buyer has proceeded to do a chargeback.. either way from my understanding of it.. the companies (Paypal, CC company) involved are going to contact you to confirm proof of shipment.

Even if it is not an eBay dealing, you as a seller should still be protected.
                      Paypal is not going to arbitrarily do a chargeback and take money out of your account until contacting you..at which point you have a certain timeframe to respond to the complaint process..I believe a week to reply and the process may take up to 30 days before a refund is issued.

If you're concerned about someone doing a chargeback and having Paypal reach into your acct and give money back w/o justification or investigation.. I wouldn't.

You must have a premier or business acct to complete a CC transaction. Someone can send funds via CC to a personal acct.. but the Paypal trap is you must upgrade and take it in the ass on fee's from that point on by upgrading to a premeir/business acct. You may step down to a personal acct again if you do upgrade to receive a CC transaction (which you are only allowed to do once)

As far as I know..(and it's been awhile since I set up another acct) a paypal acct can be setup with any verified email, but you need a checking acct or a credit card to do anything with it.

I personally have one acct setup as a premier and another setup as a personal, but you either need two checking accts or a checking to one and a separate savings acct with a differing number to the other. Basically for each paypal acct, you'll need a separate bank acct for each as well.

I also have an ATM card for my premier acct.. that way I do not have to wait for days for a funds transfer to my bank acct. Sure I pay a little more.. that is the way that it is if I want the money right away.
                      I don't think that's entirely true, Tom. I believe that if someone files a complaint with Paypal, they freeze your funds immediately until the dispute is settled. That's true whether your funds are in your Paypal balance, or in your linked bank account. So if you're in a tight sitch such as that Paypal payment constitutes most of the money in your account, you can have checks bounce because your funds are frozen. Sure they're not taken as of yet, but neither you nor those you've written checks to can get their money.

It's easy to say, "Don't let yourself get into that position", but we all know shit happens. This is the very reason peoiple started using separate low-balance accounts to link to Paypal. There have been numerous threads over the past few years from those who had it happen to them.

I have the ATM as well, for the same reason. $3 to get the dough 2-3 days sooner is usually worth it in my precarious financial state!
                      Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X