X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Panic at the Disco and others...

Just a question and an observation..

First... Panic at the Disco
    Is it true that this band got their start and record deal entirely from their My Space website??

I have been listening to Avenged Sevenfold lately and although I don't really care for many of the songs.. the guitar playing (especially the solo's) are excellent. Almost 80's metal shredding quality. The solo's reminds me a little of a light poppy Stryper.
    Its nice to hear guitar solo's coming from the newer bands.

well, yes and no.

Brandon and the gang (Panic), sent Pete Wentz (the bass player from Fall Out Boy, and owner of Decaydance, his label with Fueled By Ramen Records) the link to their myspace to him.

the rest is history. Pete signed them, and after 6 odd months of being together as a band, they started to play huge shows with FOB and Motion City Soundtrack.

i like their sound a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable
      Just a question and an observation..

First... Panic at the Disco
      Is it true that this band got their start and record deal entirely from their My Space website??

I have been listening to Avenged Sevenfold lately and although I don't really care for many of the songs.. the guitar playing (especially the solo's) are excellent. Almost 80's metal shredding quality. The solo's reminds me a little of a light poppy Stryper.
      Its nice to hear guitar solo's coming from the newer bands.
      Yes!! I kept hearing that one song on the local metal station around here but they dont have any djs and dont tell you who the artists are. So, I asked one of my kids "Hey, who is this?" and that how I found out who Avenged Sevenfold was. The solos rock and totally reminded me of 80's stuff. I have been warned though that most of their stuff doesnt sound like that one song that gets played all the time. I'll have to check out some samples on amazon.com or something.

Comment

Originally posted by Carbuff
        Yes!! I kept hearing that one song on the local metal station around here but they dont have any djs and dont tell you who the artists are. So, I asked one of my kids "Hey, who is this?" and that how I found out who Avenged Sevenfold was. The solos rock and totally reminded me of 80's stuff. I have been warned though that most of their stuff doesnt sound like that one song that gets played all the time. I'll have to check out some samples on amazon.com or something.
        Actually, the majority of the songs on their latest CD sound like the one on the radio. The nice thing is that they ALL have really good guitar solo's in them. Not just meedley....meedley stuff. I am talking about quality well thought out and played single and dual solo's.

Comment

Yeah, the City of Evil CD is aimed at those who like 80s style music, with a little Bad Religion-style punk and of course their metalcore roots mixed in.

I have heard the 2 CDs prior to COE are really metalcore, where the singer does the scream/growl thing instead of singing. Then, the combo of his voice getting really fucked up from doing that, with the fact that they couldn't survive on the money from a strict metalcore fanbase, caused them to decide for the vocalist to sing and for them to write songs that showed their early influence more. So to the metalcore kids they're sellouts, but I like them. Sure the songs don't hit me like songs of my youth, but they're well put together and cover a wide range stylistically.

I'm pretty sure that if they'd stayed strictly metalcore, most of us would've barely heard of them. As it is they have a shot at the big time, and might help a metal resurgence in America happen too. Not by themselves, surely, but if a few other bands see they can actually get some attention doing this, who knows what could happen?

I actually like that Fall Out Boy song, Dance, Dance too. It's nice to see at least some rock back on MTV (or MTV2, rather).
          Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Just an observation, I really don't get why the fuck people listen to Panic. The singing is just downright annoying... dudes sounding like chicks. I don't know if you've ever heard of the Blood Brothers, but somebody should shoot them, vocals sound like a transvestite torturing cats.
            If you're flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit. Unless you are a table.

Comment

Just listened to some Avenged Sevenfold song, and you're right about the solos. Much better than some of the bands I've heard lately.
              If you're flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit. Unless you are a table.

Comment

I only like old A7X. The new stuff is garbage.

Comment

i'm with michael.

and FollowtheReaper, your opinion's cool dude, i dig it.

But i think they've got a really different sound in a genre of bands trying to cop Fall Out Boy's sound and success.

Yeah, brandon sounds a little like Patrick from FOB, but i think he's got a really interesting style in him, and it totally fits their musical style. and I don't know what kind of chicks have been singing in a baritone-Tenor range, but if so, thats cool too.

Apparently a lot of people think so too, because their next 10 shows are all sold out, and their shining faces have graced a number of rock magazine covers.

But, again, its an opinion, man, and i can understand where you're coming from.

*flame suit on!*

Comment

Originally posted by lerxstcat
                    Yeah, the City of Evil CD is aimed at those who like 80s style music, with a little Bad Religion-style punk and of course their metalcore roots mixed in.

I have heard the 2 CDs prior to COE are really metalcore, where the singer does the scream/growl thing instead of singing. Then, the combo of his voice getting really fucked up from doing that, with the fact that they couldn't survive on the money from a strict metalcore fanbase, caused them to decide for the vocalist to sing and for them to write songs that showed their early influence more. So to the metalcore kids they're sellouts, but I like them. Sure the songs don't hit me like songs of my youth, but they're well put together and cover a wide range stylistically.

I'm pretty sure that if they'd stayed strictly metalcore, most of us would've barely heard of them. As it is they have a shot at the big time, and might help a metal resurgence in America happen too. Not by themselves, surely, but if a few other bands see they can actually get some attention doing this, who knows what could happen?

I actually like that Fall Out Boy song, Dance, Dance too. It's nice to see at least some rock back on MTV (or MTV2, rather).
                    Interesting AS history, there, Rich!
                    I had thought they were metalcore until hearing them recently on KROQ. For a second I thought there was a format change!
                    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

http://www.videopimp.org/get.php?cmN3ZT5uayFyOCNnEnBhbGEzPUkFJDEyeGUrdjtacQ hGZzUsNg4WKyIOWGl9WhI4czI+JgRoBGIsDxd0I3AvBzNpFGR8 OnZjNG1beVQyb2MyKSxoNX1wcXBgaytjZ3MmMHY5ZHBp
                      right click , save as
                      60mb mpg, not too bad
                      Avenged_Sevenfold_-_Beast_And_The_Harlot_(San_Diego_07Oct2005)_-_videopimp.mpg

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelMadeja
                        I only like old A7X. The new stuff is garbage.
                        Well, nobody heard of them until City of Evil. I haven't heard the old stuff but if the guy wasn't singing his vocals I'd bet most people on this board would probably prefer what they're doing now.

When you're young you think if your favored bands do something different, they've sold out. When you've been around awhile you realize that they reach a point where if they want to make a living playing music, they have to widen their appeal. Beats the hell out of going to work for H&R Block.

Did Gates shred on the early CDs, or only on the new one? Just curious, and frankly if he doesn't I couldn't see a reason to buy them.
                        Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

I just checked out Panic ATD and don't like them.
                          the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Originally posted by lerxstcat
                            Well, nobody heard of them until City of Evil. I haven't heard the old stuff but if the guy wasn't singing his vocals I'd bet most people on this board would probably prefer what they're doing now.

When you're young you think if your favored bands do something different, they've sold out. When you've been around awhile you realize that they reach a point where if they want to make a living playing music, they have to widen their appeal. Beats the hell out of going to work for H&R Block.

Did Gates shred on the early CDs, or only on the new one? Just curious, and frankly if he doesn't I couldn't see a reason to buy them.
                            I never said they sold out. They changed their sound and it sucks now. The singer said that if he continued to sing the way he did he would lose his voice.
                            They've always shredded, their first cd "Sounding the Seventh Trumpet" had very little. They were all about 18 when they recorded that. With Waking the Fallen they have a lot of solos. even a cool little spanishy part in one of their songs.

Comment

I thought A7X were HUGE just after 'Waking the Fallen'... What I heard of City of Evil is not as good to me. I don't like what I heard so far. And I especially don't understand what Bat Country has that's so special to make it such a known song :| but eh if people like it, I only wish I could play for a living

I like FallOutBoys and Panic at the disco too. Hell I even like Saosin and Hawthorn Heights so far. Ever since I got into Children of Bodom I was able to listen to music without listening to the vocals.

Comment

Working...
                              X