• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"You are what you is" Ebonics 101.
    I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

I is a good Englush stoodent.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by Guyver1
        On the Austrailia note, Yes it is a big country, but 90% of it is totally uninhabitable, plus the language base there is based on a VERY small demographic of Convicts from the UK, so its not really that suprising that they really only have the one 'accent'.
        You make it sound like we're all living in a tiny corner of the country and are all descendents of the original convict fleet.

I don't know about the "one accent" thing here. Maybe that girl hasn't really paid attention when speaking to other Aussies, or maybe she hasn't travelled much out of her little neck of the woods.

I have though. I've lived everywhere from Canberra, our nation's capital, to a tropical island in the Torres Strait off Cape York. I've lived in Rockhampton (the beef capital) and in a little country town in the outback. Brisbane has been my home for the last 13 years, and I spent a couple of years working on the Gold Coast. My mother lives in Melbourne, and I have family in Perth.

The differences in accent may not be as noticeable as the regional dialects of the UK & US, but there are subtle differences. Even watching Aussie tv you can hear a whole myriad of accents. You can't generally pick one and say, 'oh that guy grew up in northwest Victoria', I certainly can't anyway. The differences to me seem to be more socioeconomically based.

Here's a Wiki article on it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_English

My own accent is difficult to define because I have moved around a bit and worked in different industries have picked up traces of the different accents I've been exposed to. The accents you encounter on a construction site or service station differ greatly from those in a professional office environment & I've worked in all three.

Fragle, did the girl you speak to sound like Steve Irwin?
        Hail yesterday

Comment

The accents you encounter on a construction site or service station differ greatly from those in a professional office environment & I've worked in all three.
          Same goes for here.. especially working in a machine shop you tend to drop the f-bomb quite easily
          Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

Originally posted by Mayday
            Same goes for here.. especially working in a machine shop you tend to drop the f-bomb quite easily

nahhhhhhhhhhhh.........
            Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

As far as I am concerned, which isn't much, who cares if your grammar, diction or spelling is correct? God knows, I don't. Just say what you have to say. This nit picking is stupid. For all you international guys, if you read enough of our stuff you will figure it out quick. (Quickly, for Racer) We will understand and so will you. You English teacher wannabes, I hope you have a semi-colon and you are constipated.

Comment

I try to make my sentences as complicated as possible, sadly I fail and more often than not wind up making myself look like a complete idiot because of the s-load of errors and whatnot. :s
                You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Originally posted by GodOfRhythm
                  I try to make my sentences as complicated as possible, sadly I fail and more often than not wind up making myself look like a complete idiot because of the s-load of errors and whatnot. :s
                  You international guys crack me up. 2/3 of the US citizens don't speak proper English. And I am talking about native born Americans. You guys are, at least, one language up on us. We 'mericans speak the way we want because the world let's us. If you want to be correct in your use of the "American" English language just listen to George Bush.

Comment

Fo' shizzle, my nizzle!
                    You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Just don't say: "More better" That drives me nuts.

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG
                        You make it sound like we're all living in a tiny corner of the country and are all descendents of the original convict fleet.

I don't know about the "one accent" thing here. Maybe that girl hasn't really paid attention when speaking to other Aussies, or maybe she hasn't travelled much out of her little neck of the woods.

I have though. I've lived everywhere from Canberra, our nation's capital, to a tropical island in the Torres Strait off Cape York. I've lived in Rockhampton (the beef capital) and in a little country town in the outback. Brisbane has been my home for the last 13 years, and I spent a couple of years working on the Gold Coast. My mother lives in Melbourne, and I have family in Perth.

The differences in accent may not be as noticeable as the regional dialects of the UK & US, but there are subtle differences. Even watching Aussie tv you can hear a whole myriad of accents. You can't generally pick one and say, 'oh that guy grew up in northwest Victoria', I certainly can't anyway. The differences to me seem to be more socioeconomically based.

Here's a Wiki article on it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_English

My own accent is difficult to define because I have moved around a bit and worked in different industries have picked up traces of the different accents I've been exposed to. The accents you encounter on a construction site or service station differ greatly from those in a professional office environment & I've worked in all three.

Fragle, did the girl you speak to sound like Steve Irwin?
                        Interesting.

tbh I've only ever met 1 or 2 aussies plus 1 new zealander , other than that my only experience of aussie language has been via the TV now and then (i dont watch much tv) so to me and probably many others it does 'appear' to be only 1 aussie accent, the differences must be very subtle as you say.
                        My music:
                        www.leonlive.co.uk

Comment

I want to talk like Steve Irwin, he's my hero
                          "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

"Fragle, did the girl you speak to sound like Steve Irwin?"
                            i can't tell you, because i don't know what steve sounds like

anyways, her accent was very different from the usual US american slang. for example, she would say "wii" rather than" we" etc...although it might have been due to her thin "6 year old style" voice
                            ....at least she didn't have the gay british "aou" thing going on :p "let's gou see the mouvie" :ROTF:

"I don't know about the "one accent" thing here. Maybe that girl hasn't really paid attention when speaking to other Aussies, or maybe she hasn't travelled much out of her little neck of the woods."
                            seriously, i'll take your word over her's any day....she was a stupid spoiled girly anyway....a friend of mine asked her where the australians get their electricity from...you know, coal, nuclear, water, that sort of thing...
                            her answer was: "from the wall"
                            go figure....

Comment

Well, that settles it, the way we British speak is "gay".
                              Yep, we all sound like Austin Powers over here....

Comment

Originally posted by Fragle
                                "Fragle, did the girl you speak to sound like Steve Irwin?"
                                i can't tell you, because i don't know what steve sounds like
                                you haven't had the misfortune to see the Crocodile Hunter yet? ah well, it's probably for the best

"I don't know about the "one accent" thing here. Maybe that girl hasn't really paid attention when speaking to other Aussies, or maybe she hasn't travelled much out of her little neck of the woods."
                                seriously, i'll take your word over her's any day....she was a stupid spoiled girly anyway....a friend of mine asked her where the australians get their electricity from...you know, coal, nuclear, water, that sort of thing...
                                her answer was: "from the wall"
                                go figure....
                                no shit? Now that's funny
                                Hail yesterday

Comment

Working...
                                X