• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by horns666
    Ain't talkin' 'bout love..

Isn't talkin' 'bout love ...that would suck!!:ROTF:
    that would be 'aren't talking about love' or 'am not talking about love'
    Hail yesterday

Comment

Perhaps it could possibly be, "I's ain't be talkin' 'bout no love". Damn, that sounds cool. Too bad I could never pull it off.

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Lutz
        just use it wrong a few times and Ron will correct you sooner or later
        Not on the board
        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by cloudnine
          I should HAVE bought that San Dimas!!!
          I know, i know, i am just appalled that someone would say "should of..."
          Henrik
          AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

There is no way you should be appalled. 'Your' crazy.

(That one is my pet peeve).

Comment

Henrik, I find it a little funny that you of all people is asking about english grammar - because I have always thought you wrote in flawless english.

Comment

You're learning English from Americans??

Comment

Originally posted by jackson1
                  Hey look, up there is my first problem. "English is..." I'm almost certain it's correct, but i can not tell why.
                  That's my main problem also, I can never be sure that I'm not making a mistake
                  Check my bands!
                  www.myspace.com/magicktr
                  www.myspace.com/sinif64
                  www.myspace.com/dementiatr

Comment

Thanks Jörn! Funny you should say that, because i've always admired your writing skills here at JCF too.

I'm trying hard to improve my english writing skills, because i feel that when joining something like this - a forum, started by and primarily visited and run by native americans, the least you can do as a foreigner, is to try and learn the language. I've always lived by that, and recent political situations here in Denmark has sharpened my attention on this issue.

To earn respect you first have to show respect. Learn the language.

It's pretty easy to add "COOL!" or "NICE PICS!" to the threads here, but when it comes to complex matters, like politics, hidden messages in jokes, arguments, it gets real hard as a european (to me anyway) to add clear input, because there is so much history and culture inherent in the comments made by the native. You don't catch it all and pretty often your own built-in, read-between-the-lines comments are being dropped on the floor - because they're comming from another part of the world.

It is very hard to come off as philosophical or even intelligent in the written word, because you have to master the language, be born with it so to speak.

I can only imagine how it would be, writing with americans / britons / aussies / canadians (did i miss any?) on a danish board, in danish. I bet many of the clever people here would sound pretty stupid

I know this is way beyond "are" and "is", but hey... i is not ever easy to understood.
                    Last edited by jackson1; 04-07-2006, 04:37 AM.
                    Henrik
                    AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

[quote=jackson1]

I can only imagine how it would be, writing with americans or britons on a danish board, in danish. I bet many of the clever people here would sound pretty stupid

/quote]

Okay, joking aside, I have nothing but the utmost respect for you guys. Your command of the English language is much higher than that of the average native Briton that I seem to deal with.
                      Every Summer, my town is filled with foreign exchange students, mainly Scandinavian, on English courses. Have any of you ever visited the UK on one of these?

Comment

Originally posted by Snoogans
                        +100!!
                        My music:
                        www.leonlive.co.uk

Comment

I never paid attention in English class when I was in the school. I was too busy making stupid jokes and teasing girls.
                          I don't know any grammar. My spelling is a hit or miss.
                          I just write or say something that FEELS and SOUNDS the best.
                          You gotta have a good sensibilty to say something.

When I finished the high school, I scored maximum points in the English oral exam. And no I didn't ate any pussy
                          It's like playing the blues, blues players don't know any theory, they have the FEEL and sound great.
                          I'm a decent blues player and I can get away with my English too.

I studied English form the American films and magazines.
                          I understand the American slang and inside jokes pretty well.
                          But my writing skills aren't that good when it comes to correct formal English.

btw. I have this book about American slang, it's fucking hilarious.

The book starts with such a nice sentences like "What the fuck is wrong with you" "Gimme a break" "This lemon isn't worth shit" "I don't have to take any shit from you" etc.
                          Last edited by Endrik; 04-07-2006, 04:57 AM.
                          "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Originally posted by Snoogans
                            :ROTF:

Hail yesterday

Comment

Euro JCFers could teach certain USA JCFers!
                              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Henrik and all of the JCFers overseas in Europe.. I want to commend you for going out of your way to learn a language that is the native tongue of our board. To want to go that extra mile to fit in and be comfortable is more than we get from most foreigners who come here to our country.

So I wish to thank you for your efforts, you guys are awesome!!

To our British counterparts I want to let you know that all the Americans did was to take the Queens english and mold it into a language that people could understand .. thanks for the basics!! :ROTF:
                                Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

Working...
                                X