• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Origin of the 'Smiley"

Interesting article by the original "inventor"

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~sef/sefSmiley.htm

:-)
    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Living in a nation where it is considered virtuous to hide your emotions, Japan has created lots of ways to express emotions without saying a word:

Comment

They need to make custom smileys to show how I truly feel..
      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666
        They need to make custom smileys to show how I truly feel..
        You mean Forest Gump didn't create the smiley?
        Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

There is no emoticon for how I am feeling.
          When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

"You mean Forest Gump didn't create the smiley?"

Well it would prolly be PERECT if he did!!

Don't they have XXX smileys that are boppin' uglies or wackin' their sacks or somethin'..

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Does this count?

"Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

...that's beautiful!

Comment

Here's a test. Type a message and let someone who doesn't participate in "message boards" proofread the text. When they look at you with a goofy expression and then inquire as to "what the fuck is that smiley thingy," convince them that you're not retarded or homo.
                  "POOP"

Comment

Originally posted by GERMANDETH
                    Here's a test. Type a message and let someone who doesn't participate in "message boards" proofread the text. When they look at you with a goofy expression and then inquire as to "what the fuck is that smiley thingy," convince them that you're not retarded or homo.
                    Ron's got a hard time convincing everyone here as it is. :ROTF:
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                    X