Deicide / Vital Remains...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deicide / Vital Remains...

...played last night in Seattle. One of the other touring bands was pretty interesting. The other touring band and one of the locals that opened up were terrible.

Vital Remains impressed me quite a bit. Probably one of the best death metal performances I've seen in a long time. Dave Suzuki offered up some of the most tasty lead playing I've heard in a death metal band. Plus he was running through one of those Crate GT1200H heads and it sounded great for his leads. Guitar of choice was the ESP Explorer copy (LTD EX-400?). Tony Lazaro used his "Crucifier" all night along with a two channel Recto of some sort, he had a couple pedals on the floor but they were tucked right in front of a stage monitor. He at least had a tuner and I think a noise suppressor. Glen Benton's vocals were pretty much what he's been doing for years. "RRHHHHHH RHHH HRHRRH HHHHHRRR RAAAAAAH" with Suzuki coming in a lot with higher backing vocals. Tim Yeung was awesome, very fast, and very tight on the music. Lots of circlar headbanging while playing. They also probably had the most brutal pit I've seen in Seattle.

Deicide was (surprisingly) good. I was expecting the worse after they'd done about 2 or 3 really bad tours in the past few years. Steve Asheim's playing was the tightest and fastest I've seen. Jack Owen (as always) pulls off the tightest and heaviest rhythm guitar work. Ralph Santolla impressed me quite a bit as well. Last time I saw him with Iced Earth, I thought his playing was pretty sloppy and his tone was incredibly thin. He was playing through the same two channel recto, no effects, just using one channel as a rhythm and the second channel as a lead. His lead tone was smooth, and very big. He was using those ESP/LTD DV8's the whole night (possibly the ESP ones, didn't get a good look) Lead work was precise and pretty technical. Glen Benton was Glen Benton, but he did seem to be a lot more precise on his bass work. Jack Owen was running one of the Digitech 2101 Studio Artist preamps, along with some other single space unit (it was blue and had some blue LED lights on the front of it monitoring levels). Not sure if he was using the single space blue unit to power his cab or running into the Crate GT1200H (which was hidden behind the amp. Owen also was running one of the pointy Dime guitars that say "DIME" on the headstock.

Benton also hyped the new album a bunch saying that this would be the last tour that they would be playing a lot of the old songs as the new album is the best thing he's ever recorded.
    Last edited by Inearthed; 04-12-2006, 02:24 PM.

"Jack Owen was running one of the Digitech 2101 Studio Artist preamps, along with some other single space unit (it was blue and had some blue LED lights on the front of it monitoring levels). Not sure if he was using the single space blue unit to power his cab or running into the Crate GT1200H (which was hidden behind the amp. Owen also was running one of the pointy Dime guitars that say "DIME" on the headstock."
    so, he basically used the same setup he used to use back in his cannibal corpse days. unfortunately i never had the chance to see CC with the old owen+o'brien lineup (although rob barrett KILLS ) so i can't comment on his tone. imho jack's tone SLAYS on the live cannibalism DVD/CD, MUCH better than pat's triple recto tone.
    ...HOWEVER, when i saw CC live last year (with barrett filling in for owen) pat's tone was the heaviest thing i've ever heared. if i'll ever play in a death metal band i would certainly use the triple recto/boss mt2 rig, it kills. (although being the rhythm monster that is pat o'brien wouldn't hurt he's god :noworthy: )

but you know what? i used to be under the impression that jack left CC because i got tired of playing death metal - apparently he loves to play the blues (check out his acoustic song you can hear on the wretched spawn making of DVD ) - but seeing how he's now playing with deicide that just doesn't make a lot of sense to me.....especially because corpse is so much better than deicide will ever be

Comment

I'm not too sure why he left. I think he was just done with Cannibal and wanted something new to do. He commented on the new record saying that what he heard was good but he wants Pat to send him a copy.

Comment

"Crucifer" ...shit I was just writing a song called that..

I thought I was being original..

I hate that!

VR and Deicide Rule!!
        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

When I saw Deicide in 2004 they played very tight and sounded good, but they laughed all the time.. you can't laugh all the time when you're in a deathmetal band.. Especially Benton had a huge smile on his face almost the entire set.. aw well
          "I hate these filthy neutrals! With enemies, you know where they stand. But with neutrals... who knows? It sickens me!"

Comment

"you can't laugh all the time when you're in a deathmetal band.. Especially Benton had a huge smile on his face almost the entire set.. aw well"
            it's called weed

Comment

I like Decide. What was their setlist? It's sad that they're going to stop playing older songs...some of them are real classics like Sacrifical Suicide, When Satan Rules His World, Once Upon The Cross...

Comment

"it's called weed "

Yep, I would be happiest death metaler alive..I look like a TRUE death metaller without my weed..with weeed I look like well..Barney!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

"with weeed I look like well..Barney!"
                  then you must look fucking OLD
                  seriously, last year we played a festival with them, and i swear i didn't even recognize him. he looks like shit...add another 5 years and he's gonna look like EVH

Comment

Nah, I look pretty well preserved for my old age..and I act like the same retard I was 25 years ago..

I would smile on satge..I used to in that VH tribute..because that was part of the "party band" schtick..

When I do my think I look like a more pissed off Kerry King..seriously.

It looks like I'm not here to play..I got my game face on..

In fact, I think if I ever play out..I'm gonna do WWE's HHH entrance and spit water all over myself to the sound of Motorhead..:ROTF:

Comment

Working...
                    X