Kataklysm/Cannibal Corpse/etc last night

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kataklysm/Cannibal Corpse/etc last night

other than those two headlining bands, there also played legion of the damned (ex occult) and grimfist.

at the beginning i had some trouble as apparentely the promoter had to randomly cut the guest lists, and guess who's name was dropped buying a ticket was not an option, as the show was sold out - dammit, that club was PACKED. managed to get in anyways, with like 1h delay but at least i got in
    as a result, i only saw like the last 10sec of grimfist.... they suck anyway....
    next came legion of the damned. i'm not familiar with their material, but what i heared started off great and ended up being mediocre thrash metal. they have a few really nice ideas, but their song structures get boring, not enough variety. good show anyways. they also had a good sound (like every band that night)

next came kataklysm...they opened with shadows and dust, and played like angels weeping as the 2nd song?! kinda weird, but well....
    their show was great. imo they should have cut back on the shadows and dust songs in favor of serenity in fire and the new record, as well as other songs off serenity in fire, so as you can see imho the setlist wasn't really my cup of tea. their show was high energy, though. very tight playing, except for the drummer who was constantly struggling with those hyperblast beats. even though his snare was triggered to hell he often missed a few beats during those blast sections.
    unfortunately i couldn't see JF's amp rig, but i can assure you his sound was killer. exactly like the new record - probably the line 6 he's been using for quite some time now.

last but not least, cannibal corpse. lemme just say that this was a very special night for us german fans. they opened with time to kill is now, went right into disfigured, and then death walking terror. jesus christ, talk about groove anyway, after this song, he asked the crowd whether we wanted to hear some OLD stuff...particulary from the first 3 records (as you surely know, this shit is/was banned in germany).....of course, between EVERY song there were the "hammer smashed face" screams, so keep that in mind. well, they didn't play hammer (yet), but next came covered with sores....i think i just broke my neck
    anyways, they played VERY tight, with a good and really heavy sound, george doing his usual windmill headbanging which must be pretty intense to perform...paul seemed to have some pain in his arms and hands, but his playing was spot on nevertheless.
    and yeah, they closed with hammer smashed face and stripped, raped, and strangled. i thought i was gonna die in that pit
    gear wise, pat played his 2 custom bc rich V's, starting off with the red striped one which is downtuned even further to A i think, and after 3 songs switched to his normal black 6 string V. he had a jackson rhoads but didn't use it....backup only. it's a shame, really. such a cool looking guitar. as for amps, it was their usual setup. 3 ch dual rectos, set to channel 2 modern, boosted by a boss mt2, and a floor tuner. BEST-RECTO-SOUND-EVER.

setlists (in no particular order, can't remember this kinda stuff....)

kataklysm: in shadows and dust, the resurrected, crippled and broken, to reign again, the ambassador of pain, like angels weeping, let them burn, as i slither, as well as two other shadows and dust songs i can't recall right now.

corpse: time to kill is now, disfigured, death walking terror, make them suffer, dormant bodies bursting, pit of zombies (best live song ever), unleashing the bloodthirsty, stripped raped and strangled, fucked with a knife, the wretched spawn, muder worship, 5 nails through the neck, decency defied, devoured by vermin, and as a super bonus covered with sores, disposal of the body, and hammer smashed fucking face.
    gotta love the corpse....

Nice review there, Fragle-agle! I really felt like I WAS THERE!

I will see Kataklysm in 2 months, they are

touring the USA with the awesome

and my favorite Italians

See the Graveworm thread!!!!!!!

Yahooey!
    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

man, wtf is up with you what time is it over there, 6 am or what...man, are you high?

besides, graveworm is piss boring. i played 2 shows with them, and they're nice guys, but musically just so totally NOT my cup of tea...just like with legion of the damned, they have a few nice ideas, but overall their songs lack variety.....imho.
      however, on the bright side, chicks seem to love graveworm....there are usually a lot of girls in the crowd wherever they play a gig.

Comment

Boo! You suck, Fragle! Not my friend! Not my friend!

I totally SOUND high, huh?

DARE YOU DISS THE AWESOME-OSITY :ROTF: of

GRAVEWORM!!!!

You schweinhund LOL

Comment

"I totally SOUND high, huh?"
          indeed

"You schweinhund LOL"
          it's schweinehund :ROTF:

j/k bro

Comment

You suck at quoting ahahahahaha

Comment

oh my fucking god.....is this what comes next? after ron "the spellchecker" now ron "the quote police" ?

Comment

It's the RacerX & Fragle Show!

Comment

graveworm sucks eggs
                  "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Originally posted by Endrik
                    graveworm sucks eggs
                    thank you, sir

Comment

nice review Fragle! I can't wait for the october when they will play in Slovenia! I hope they will play more from the Barnes era and not much off the new album which I don't really like...

So they actually played hammer smashed face? What about the ban thing?

Comment

"So they actually played hammer smashed face? What about the ban thing?"
                        good question. i guess they were allowed to do so, as they played 3 songs off the first 3 records (which are all banned here in germany) which as far as i know should cost em 30000 euro (10000 per song)...under normal circumstances, that is.
                        "and not much off the new album which I don't really like..."
                        well...at first i thought kill was a huge letdown, but after listening to it for a few weeks it's slowly getting better. there's just so much going on, i guess it's like some dream theater stuff where you still notice some "new" things after years. however, there IS a lack of variety no matter what....i used to love recent corpse (bloodthirst and the later records) because of the groovy parts mixed with total insanity, and seeing how kill is basically 13 songs of total insanity without a lot of groove i doubt it will ever become my fave CC record
                        however, standing right in front of them while they perform these super technical songs is imo much more interesting than even a dream theater gig. especially pat is a monster, he's a REALLY aggressive player but super tight, even though the guitar parts are all over the fretboard...literally

Comment

This sounds like a kickass tour. Wish I could see em tour like that in the states. I think they're coming on Sounds of The Underground with some pretty good bands, but I haven't seen Kataklysm in a long time

Comment

Working...
                          X