Anyone still use LP's "records"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone still use LP's "records"?

I threw in the "records" part for those who don't know what an "LP" is. Any record players out there?
    I am a true ass set to this board.

I still have an old ass record player. Not sure what it's called, but it's in a cabinet, you open these doors to the speakers and has a dial AM/FM stereo and a record player in the top part.

I still have quite a few LP's, but no clue on their condition... I may pull them out and see if they will still play and compare them to CD's. :ROTF:

I know I still have the original KISS Alive II double record I bought back in the 70's... Hmmm. This is sounding better already.
    Whataya Mean I Don't Support The System? I Go To Court When I Have To!

Comment

Oh hell yes, I have about 300 albums from around 1970 (mostly mid to late 70s, to some early eighties stuff. I was playin Sheer Heart Attack by Queen last night, to try and remember how to play the licks from "stone cold crazy" and some other stuff, that is a hell of an album, I do need to get more off this classic stuff on CDs tho
      I say the boy ain't right!

Comment

Originally posted by St.James
        I still have an old ass record player. Not sure what it's called, but it's in a cabinet, you open these doors to the speakers and has a dial AM/FM stereo and a record player in the top part.

I still have quite a few LP's, but no clue on their condition... I may pull them out and see if they will still play and compare them to CD's. :ROTF:

I know I still have the original KISS Alive II double record I bought back in the 70's... Hmmm. This is sounding better already.
        Actually those units can be very good. Depends on the brand. If the records are old wash them gentle in warm water and dish soap. The "Snap; Crackle; Pop" comes with the territory.

Comment

oh yes...i have bought over 70 LPs in the last 6 months...they have by far the best, warmest sound out of all the media formats IMO...love 'em

Comment

I did for a while until the receiver shit the bed. Happened twice with two different ones and haven't bought a new one yet. Anyone else have bad luck with receivers?
            If you're flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit. Unless you are a table.

Comment

I have 500 + records an old Rock Ola Juke Box loaded with 45's and probally another 500+ 45's
              I've fallen, Fallen through. If I'm Not With you, All I wanna Do Is Feel blue

Comment

Just go to a thriftstore; garage sale or fleamaket and get the heaviest old receiver you can find. Heavy is good. We are talking 25lbs easy. Look for lots of knobs. Headphone port is good. Find one with a "MIC" input and that's better. The old wood cabs with a silver face is good. The more meters the better. Weight means big transfomers. Big transformers, with big outputs, means big sound. Not only that, but you can plug a guitar into the "MIC" hole and rock. Some have two "MIC" holes. That's stereo man.

Comment

Originally posted by sonicsamurai
                  oh yes...i have bought over 70 LPs in the last 6 months...they have by far the best, warmest sound out of all the media formats IMO...love 'em
                  LP's make CD'S sound like shit. But they are so big.:ROTF: :ROTF:

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Fettster
                    Just go to a thriftstore; garage sale or fleamaket and get the heaviest old receiver you can find. Heavy is good. We are talking 25lbs easy. Look for lots of knobs. Headphone port is good. Find one with a "MIC" input and that's better. The old wood cabs with a silver face is good. The more meters the better. Weight means big transfomers. Big transformers, with big outputs, means big sound. Not only that, but you can plug a guitar into the "MIC" hole and rock. Some have two "MIC" holes. That's stereo man.

I found a mint Pioneer SX880 a couple of years ago for $10 at a yard sale. Talked the guy down to $7.

Comment

That's what I'm talking about. Just don't tell anyone.

Comment

I just bought my mom a record player with a built in CD player and radio. All she has right now is a bunch of old country albums (which I still throw in sometimes) but my brother gave this homelessdude a few bucks in the train and he gave his an Iron Maiden LP so I've been playing that non stop

Comment

Snap; crackle and ROCK!!!!!!!!:ROTF:

Comment

I have a ton of old LPs, but I haven't had a working turntable since I lost everything (including guitars, amps, effects, etc) to thieves in a break-in in '91. Someone gave my wife a turntable a while back, but it needs a new stylus cartridge thingy. I was planning on just replacing all my favorite old stuff via iTunes or whatever, and I've picked up quite a few in the used CD bins over the years, but it would be cool to spin the old vinyl too.

Comment

my turntable has been on the fritz for years, but I still have all my old LPs. Iron Maiden, Gary Moore, Yngwie, Cacophony, Cream, Sabbath. Loads more.

Plus a bunch of bad ones (Lionel Richie, Kenny Rogers, etc) that my folks dumped on me when they upgraded their home system a few years back.

I've been looking at cheap components in the pawnshops lately - thinking it's time to put together a good old fashioned tape deck/turntable/amp setup for listening to the old stuff I haven't bothered to update to CD
                              Hail yesterday

Comment

Working...
                              X